Slomojo2005

For a 2nd rd pick - 10th overall.
You have to think Zach will re-structure.
Good on Austin and co. for getting a high pick for him.
Very tough to see him go, but with Jones coming back the writing was on the wall.

[ Note from moderator: I altered this post title for SEO purposes. ]
The trade in itself is what it is,  IMHO The cats didn't get near enough.
They probably could have Squeezed them for a good young Canadian O-Line man and a first rounder.
There's no doubt in my mind that Zac will be a force in the west.
We may have written the Riders Grey Cup Ticket.
IMHO, we got lots for Zach

We offloaded a QB that had lost his last 12 starts, lost his starters role and lost his confidence while carrying the price of being the highest paid player in the League with a huge debilitating bonus due in 3 weeks.
Getting the 10th overall pick is tremendous,
IMHO We are fortunate that we didn't have to throw in a pick back to SSK.

We got the 10th overall pick and $540K in cap space
I completely agree with you, Grover.
Look forward to chatting with you Grover when the dust settles in 1 year or 2.  Big TiCat mistake IMO but hey, itz business!

Onemoredork

This move will define the Jones era one way or another.
To which Jones are you referring?
Couldnt give a monkey's arse about Chris Jones or Riders. 

The entire QB file is June's. It was more than just a coach benching a slumping player. It is assessing the whole scope of the franchise's ability to succeed short and now Iong term.

The test of June Jones' accumen to shape and run this team just started today.

Crash

The entire QB file is June's. It was more than just a coach benching a slumping player. It is assessing the whole scope of the franchise's ability to succeed short and now Iong term.

and yet if it doesn't work out I feel like Kent Austin will take the blame...

guelphcatsfan

Assuming Green Riders??
They are the only riders in the league ?
GEEZ, am i old or what??
Sorry - off topic - but I love that people are still getting that wrong!  

stevehvh

Our Ticats are going to regret this trade and giving up on Zach.  Mark my words!  
Maybe. But I doubt it very much.
You bet your lucky stars TiCats will regret this move.  Happy for Zack. He was treated like “crap” last year.  Bur never complained and held his head high.
I'm happy for him too. 

But I don't think we will regret the trade. The team already made the transition to Masoli last season, rather successfully. I think he'll be good. I know you don't agree, but the coach likes him, and it appears the players like him. I have faith in their assessment.

I hope Collaros does well. Perhaps he will. But given the results of the last few seasons, it's just as likely he could be injured, then replaced. I hope that isn't the case and new surroundings help him recover some of his earlier form.

More importantly, I hope Masoli and the Ticats do well. I recognise they haven't announced his signing yet, but I anticipate that soon. I look forward to him building on his exciting and successful play of last year. 

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
- Hubert H. Humphrey

Onemoredork

and yet if it doesn't work out I feel like Kent Austin will take the blame...
You will know he will. Head Coach as innocent employee under a scheming GM has been tried before

stevehvh

Onemoredork

They had themselves convinced they were getting Franklin as the future franchise qb. Even after the TOR trade. Getting an expensive question mark like Collaros is a let down.

TravelPat1

I give the Cats credit.  I thought there was no way they would get as much back when dumping a contract that big.  A contract that Zach will be renegotiating now in Riderville. 

FormerlyTurkish

Anyone know how tied to Buffalo area Tasker is.  He may wish to join ZC if the conditions suit him.

of course

I also checked out fan reaction on the Rider forum.

Since the contract will probably be restructured in Saskatchewan, Rider fans can't complain about the cash Collaros may make.  But trading a high draft pick for a player who probably would have been cut in a few weeks is a tough pill to swallow, even if was an extra pick the Riders picked up in a previous trade.

A lot of Rider fans also seem to be concerned about all of the things we were also worried about here in Hamilton.  Namely, Collaros' ability to stay healthy, his recent track record of losses, and his confidence.

But give Saskatchewan management credit.  If they had an elite QB last year, they probably beat Toronto in the East Final.  That weakness needed to be addressed somehow, and at least they took a shot at doing so via this trade. If Collaros regains his form, they should be right back in the hunt for a Cup in 2018.

SteelCitySteve

Congrats on the 2018-2022 Grey Cup wins Saskatchewan!

Seriously though, we are officially stepping out into the unknown now. It's going to be really good or really bad, the chips will fall where they may.

Sure hope we can get Manziel and /or Masoli signed soon, we are pretty thin at QB right now!

Best of luck Zach!! You will be missed here in the Hammer. Thank you for some exciting football!
I think 10 games is a good sample size for Jones/Masoli to not call it unknown. We know exactly what we are going to get with that Coach/QB tandem. Its time to put this whole QB thing to bed and move on with what worked.

I don't look at this as all or nothing, one or the other. If Masoli can play up to par and get us where we need to be (sustained excellence - a Grey Cup or more) than it can be a win-win. We can win and Sask gets a great QB in their own right if Collaros shows what he's capable of.
I was referring more to the unknown being Johnny Football, will we sign him or trade him? Can he play, can he be the best in the CFL? Will there be a sideshow?

I give Masoli credit, he has improved year over year and I think he can be elite. Its just that I don't feel we can call him elite yet...my opinion. Can Masoli be elite? What can he do with a full season as a starter? Can he lead us to a Grey Cup?

6ft6ofgoodness

Our Ticats are going to regret this trade and giving up on Zach.  Mark my words!  
     It's like when we gave up too early on Calvillo 20 years ago.  We've done the same thing on a QB who still has several years of high quality play, with a strong offensive line, and weapons surrounding him.  Now we're left with Masoli, who is slightly better than an average QB, and the sideshow Manziel, who is an unknown in Canadian football, and who doesn't have the dedication to perfect and improve his craft.  He would rather spend his time partying then playing football.  I will admit if I'm wrong and I hope I am.  But I have a hunch telling me otherwise.   

Grover

It's like when we gave up too early on Calvillo 20 years ago.  We've done the same thing on a QB who still has several years of high quality play, with a strong offensive line, and weapons surrounding him.  Now we're left with Masoli, who is slightly better than an average QB, and the sideshow Manziel, who is an unknown in Canadian football, and who doesn't have the dedication to perfect and improve his craft.  He would rather spend his time partying then playing football.  I will admit if I'm wrong and I hope I am.  But I have a hunch telling me otherwise.  
Gave up too early on Zack??

If Collaros does not win his first start in SSK he will set a new CFL record for consecutive losses for a starting QB at 12 losses in a row.  :o

SSK hosts TOR in game 1, I hope Zack wins that one! 8)

At the moment Collaros is making more than all the Riders QB's combined.

"QBs Brandon Bridge and Vernon Adams and recruited rookie Marquise Williams; with Glenn they accounted for $500,000 in salaries last season, Jones told the Roughriders’ website."

http://3downnation.com/2018/01/03/davis-collaros-good-get-riders-returns-form/

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

Baldy

With Chris Jones habit of ignoring the CFL rules is it possible that he was communicating with Collaros over the past little while to determine that he was receptive to renegotiating his contract?
Would that have been bad form?

Users Online

87 Guests, 10 Users (7 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Aerial, everyman, The Last Word, Cool, batkinson001, PTBO Dave, 15_championships, schmenger, Google (7)

Most Online Today: 170. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)