Krisiun

For a 2nd rd pick - 10th overall.
You have to think Zach will re-structure.
Good on Austin and co. for getting a high pick for him.
Very tough to see him go, but with Jones coming back the writing was on the wall.

[ Note from moderator: I altered this post title for SEO purposes. ]
The trade in itself is what it is,  IMHO The cats didn't get near enough.
They probably could have Squeezed them for a good young Canadian O-Line man and a first rounder.
There's no doubt in my mind that Zac will be a force in the west.
We may have written the Riders Grey Cup Ticket.
Potential trade partners would have balked at Zack's huge contract and also used his upcoming bonus as leverage during the negotiations. Since the Cats don't want to pay Zach, I believe Saskatchewan dictated the terms of the deal.

Grover

Very tough to see him go, but with Jones coming back the writing was on the wall.

They probably could have Squeezed them for a good young Canadian O-Line man and a first rounder.
IMHO, we got lots for Zach

We offloaded a QB that had lost his last 12 starts, lost his starters role and lost his confidence while carrying the price of being the highest paid player in the League with a huge debilitating bonus due in 3 weeks.
Getting the 10th overall pick is tremendous, 
IMHO We are fortunate that we didn't have to throw in a pick back to SSK.

We got the 10th overall pick and $540K in cap space

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

Crash

You cant have it both ways... if Zach is worthless to us he cant be worth that much in trade.
If we believe Zach is worth a Canadian OL and a 1st, why aren't we keeping him?

DisplacedCatsFan

Also just want to add....

- Re-sign June Jones - Check
- TRADE Collaros rather than release - Check
- Get rid of the contract without paying the bonus - Check
- Get value considering the contract - Check
- Trade him far away so can't burn us in the East - Check

Would love to hear the Kent Austin haters chime in on this one.... hard to argue his offseason so far.
Re: Point #5 -  He CAN certainly burn us in the East - imagine Zach killing us in a crossover game and making it to the Grey Cup...
Formerly sigpig

Velox Versutus Vigilans

R.I.P. Cpl Nathan Cirillo Albainn Gu Brath

ExPat

We offloaded a QB that had lost his last 12 starts, lost his starters role and lost his confidence ...
The question is: has he lost his mojo?

(and I mean that in the scientific sense of the word)

Crash

Would love to hear the Kent Austin haters chime in on this one.... hard to argue his offseason so far.
Re: Point #5 -  He CAN certainly burn us in the East - imagine Zach killing us in a crossover game and making it to the Grey Cup...
Its not the same - you cant keep him out of the league. We did well to move him out west imo. Toronto would have hurt the most, followed by Ottawa then Montreal. Sask is logical and frankly a safe place for him to go from the Ticats perspective.

If he burns us in a crossover its because Jones/Masoli didn't do their jobs.

DisplacedCatsFan

Re: Point #5 -  He CAN certainly burn us in the East - imagine Zach killing us in a crossover game and making it to the Grey Cup...
Its not the same - you cant keep him out of the league. We did well to move him out west imo. Toronto would have hurt the most, followed by Ottawa then Montreal. Sask is logical and frankly a safe place for him to go from the Ticats perspective.

That's what I'm afraid of, Crash.  Likely a shotgun play on the goal line that goes horribly wrong...

PatLynch

Leave it to Crash and Grover to wisely interpret this deal . Not only do the TiCats help their team but they whack the Als at the same time . We get the Als original #10th pick and they don't get Collaros, the Riders do . The financial details haven't been released in the deal but I assume the Cats have vastly improved their salary cap position . Johnny Football may or may not become a TiCat but he's still an asset to the Cats . The Lions and the Als appear to need a quarterback/ bringer of hope and they may have offers on the table for Austin and Tillman to consider . This is a good time to be a TiCat fan !

Pat Lynch (the old guy)

Onemoredork

This move will define the Jones era one way or another. 

Crash

That's what I'm afraid of, Crash.  Likely a shotgun play on the goal line that goes horribly wrong...
But we can't dwell on that. You know my position DCF - I believe this is the wrong move, but im well over the fact that ZC wasn't going to be here and im willing to get behind this team for what it was the last 10 weeks of the season - arguably the best team in the CFL. Jones/Masoli have huge shoes to fill, their own. They took a train wreck and made us respectable and now both of them got extensions for it. They get very litte latitude with me and my expectations of them is to win (or come close to) the east. 9-9 and I wont be happy.

As for the shotgun from the 1 - Jones better fix that.

Baldy

This move will define the Jones era one way or another.
To which Jones are you referring?

stevehvh

IMHO, we got lots for Zach

We offloaded a QB that had lost his last 12 starts, lost his starters role and lost his confidence while carrying the price of being the highest paid player in the League with a huge debilitating bonus due in 3 weeks.
Getting the 10th overall pick is tremendous,
IMHO We are fortunate that we didn't have to throw in a pick back to SSK.

We got the 10th overall pick and $540K in cap space
I completely agree with you, Grover.
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
- Hubert H. Humphrey

stevehvh

Our Ticats are going to regret this trade and giving up on Zach.  Mark my words!  
Maybe. But I doubt it very much.

Slomojo2005

Kent Austin deserves credit as others have said ... my worst fear was releasing him and watching him sign in Toronto or Montreal or even just trading him to the Als or Argos, and we did neither so it's a win-win.

There's nothing stopping the Riders from trading him to either of those teams.  If Franklin doesn't sign with Toronto before free agency, it could definitely happen.
If Sask doesn’t pay his bonus by Feb 1st, for some reason, Zack becomes an UFA.  A lot can happen in a month.
Good luck Zack. Always a gentleman and team guy.

Slomojo2005

Our Ticats are going to regret this trade and giving up on Zach.  Mark my words!  
Maybe. But I doubt it very much.
You bet your lucky stars TiCats will regret this move.  Happy for Zack. He was treated like “crap” last year.  Bur never complained and held his head high. 

Users Online

78 Guests, 8 Users (9 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Aerial, 15_championships, everyman, The Last Word, schmenger, Chewbaca1973, Google (9)

Most Online Today: 170. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)