stevehvh

If he gets more than 2/3 of what Jeremiah is getting,  it's an insult to JM8. He's actually earned his spot.
Taking potshots at league rules while demanding to be the highest paid in the league sounds like a great way to earn a year of waiting it out to free agency.

Montreal can have him.
👍👍
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
- Hubert H. Humphrey

stevehvh

This is all just part of negotiation. Manziel's agent reaching for straws trying to find any piece of leverage to use to his advantage. He wants to get the most for his client of course. And guess what, he is right. The neg list player does not have any leverage. It is all in favor of the team and the Ticats have Mr Manziel and his agent by the throat and can dictate the way they want this to go.
Patients everyone, a very smart person once said to me "If you have time, use it". The Cats have no rush here. It is slow play time and if Manziel wants to threaten going to another league good luck. His best way back to the NFL is by playing in the CFL. Manziel has admitted as much by his actions so far. and posting a Canadian flag on his twitter post.
This is early in week one. Deep breath and let them sit for a bit and calm down and they Manziel team will regain their senses.
We already have our starting QB, no panic in Ticat land.
I agree. The reason the agent needs to throw out "deadline" is that there isn't one for a year. He has no leverage and he knows it. Meanwhile, we have our starter, $540k in cap room we didn't have a week ago, and a whole bunch of draft picks. 

Now, if Manziel's agent can get past his predictable but silly posturing and negotiate a reasonable contract with the Ticats,  that's one thing. If not, that's alright, I'm  quite content at this point.

canadianfootballfan

I say they should keep low-balling him to keep him out of the CFL.  Offer him a "placeholder" contract every year, and never trade his right.

Show that little B what people who disrespect the CFL get.

my home team

"It is slow play time and if Manziel wants to threaten going to another league good luck. His best way back to the NFL is by playing in the CFL. Manziel has admitted as much by his actions so far. and posting a Canadian flag on his twitter post."

With the disparity in money and prestige between this league and the NFL, if Manziel and his agent could work him back to the south, they would have done it a LONG time ago.

The CFL is his ONLY option, all parties, reporters and even the fans know this.

The advocate for Johnny is fooling NOONE.

ticatbill

He's already starting his Johnny football ego no way do I pay him anymore then 100k until he proves his worth the cats did there part of he don't like it he still is there property so sit n do nothing Johnny ur egos not worth the ink of a pen

Count Floyd

He's already starting his Johnny football ego no way do I pay him anymore then 100k until he proves his worth the cats did there part of he don't like it he still is there property so sit n do nothing Johnny ur egos not worth the ink of a pen
Agree.  Make him sit until 2019.  Then he'll still have to sign a 1 + 1 contract with another team up here.  That means the earliest he gets back to the NFL is 2021.  That's some great negotiating, Erik Burkhardt.  Lmao!

my home team

Agree.  Make him sit until 2019.  Then he'll still have to sign a 1 + 1 contract with another team up here.  That means the earliest he gets back to the NFL is 2021.  That's some great negotiating, Erik Burkhardt.  Lmao!
I don't think the idea here is to punish Manziel and his agent. Just to let them know who is in charge of this process.

And, as we all know by now, it ain't the player.

Grover

From Austin interview this morning

- He had never heard of the Jan.31 deadline
- The permission to talk to 1 other CFL team was granted months ago,  it has since expired
They CANNOT talk to other CFL Teams

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

my home team

From Austin interview this morning

- He had never heard of the Jan.31 deadline
- The permission to talk to 1 other CFL team was granted months ago,  it has since expired
They CANNOT talk to other CFL Teams
I guess it's hard to have a discussion when the GM is laughing at your numbers.

jonny24eh

We already have our starting QB, no panic in Ticat land.
This. Sign him, don't, trade him, don't.... we're set for this year. Yes we need a backup- could be almost anyone.
The poster formerly known as jonny24.

Eat\'em raw!

blackandgld

Austin said he had not heard of the Jan.31st deadline...Depending on when he was asked about this I find that to be a dishonest answer. Everyone close to a radio, cellphone or TV all heard about this yesterday.

Grover

It appears that the only thing bigger than Johnny's agents demands,
Is Johnny's ego!  >:(

A nasty, confrontational and public negotiation is the worst case scenario to happen out of this.  :-[

I hope one of his demands is he gets a separate locker room,
because I don't want him coming into ours!

Grover

Austin said he had not heard of the Jan.31st deadline...Depending on when he was asked about this I find that to be a dishonest answer. Everyone close to a radio, cellphone or TV all heard about this yesterday.
Austin said he had not heard of a Jan.31 deadline until he read it in the statement yesterday like everyone else.

ottawacat

Late learning of this, and after reading everything related I can find, my opinion is that it's too bad the talks with another team's executives in Texas didn't work out.  However, I also think the agent's reference to to that might, more accurately, have been stated that, after the meeting, that team wasn't interested.

I have two hopes:
1) That the Tiger-Cats are smart enough to just ignore the agent's comments, completely, and make no contact, or comment, until the other side comes calling, directly, rather than through the American media.  (Earlier posts, though, suggests that Austin, unfortunately, may have already responded in an interview.)
2) That Johnny's star-struck fans here are starting to, and it appears from posts they are, see the light.

I am pleased to get confirmation, from this, that the TiCats have looked, and hopefully still are looking, at trading Manziel's neg list rights.

And, as for what would be a fair deal, to bring Manziel to McMaster in May, if that's what they end up doing, I think something comparable to the reported Vince Young deal with SSK -- No signing bonus, a 1+1 contract with an annual base of $120K + $15K for housing, with playing-time bonuses and incentives which could bring each year's total earnings up to max of $190K.     

Count Floyd

Agree.  Make him sit until 2019.  Then he'll still have to sign a 1 + 1 contract with another team up here.  That means the earliest he gets back to the NFL is 2021.  That's some great negotiating, Erik Burkhardt.  Lmao!
I don't think the idea here is to punish Manziel and his agent. Just to let them know who is in charge of this process.

And, as we all know by now, it ain't the player.
No, it's not the idea to do that.  Too bad his agent doesn't realize it will be the net effect of his ill-considered negotiation ploy.

I didn't want Manziel here before; hard to imagine him getting a warm reception in our locker room after this.

Users Online

60 Guests, 6 Users (1 Spider, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
cividan, Chris_87, FootbalYouBet, Lennywasout, EastVanMark, Google

Most Online Today: 141. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)