Count Floyd

Quote from: "my home team"
We don't know what the motivation was for these people to go elsewhere, and may never know.

Again, we have no idea how many games, if any, Stefan Ptaszek has called.

Perhaps, Collaros has been instructed to stay in the pocket to avoid the injuries he received when he left it. As far as the creativity he lacks, that may be because of the playbook and the OC.

All of this is speculation on your part. None of it factual.

But from this framework of guessing, you want us to believe that Collaros is past his prime and Kent Austin should be gone as a head coach.

And our ONLY salvation is to have Jeremiah Masoli as our starting quarterback.

Actually, we do know how many games Ptaszek has called, it's exactly 1 regular season game.  Last season, Austin called all the plays, there was an interview in the off season stating that Ptaszek this year was going to call the plays, Austin felt he wasn't ready for that last year.

Plus there's this: http://3downnation.com/2017/07/09/edwar ... iger-town/

And don’t just blame offensive coordinator Stefan Ptaszek for the unit’s woes: head coach Kent Austin resumed the play-calling duties against Saskatchewan after allowing Ptaszek the opportunity to do so for exactly one game.

cats99

Quote from: "Killer91"
Masoli has bailed out Austin when Collaros went down with injury's. He got all my respect when he got us to within 1 play of the Grey Cup in 2015 despite Austin doing everything to get Jeff Mathews to lead this team after Collaros went down.
Masoli stepped up and did it all with his arm against Ottawa in the 2015 EF not just his legs putting up big passing numbers in the EF in Ottawa.

In case anyone hasn't noticed any momentum we had last year ended with Collaro's return and culminated with his interception that handed Edmonton the Eastern Semi Final.  The team is continuing where it left off of from last year's playoff loss to Edmonton and soft finish in 2016.

It's time to give Masoli a shot to lead this team and provide some kind of spark and save Austin's job.

I don't see what we have to lose.  I don't see any sign of life from this club at all.  Maybe Austin and his micro managing is being tuned out by the players?

(sorry, I think Collaros is a great guy, but I just don't see any signs of bringing this team to life since he came back from the knee injury)
As Zack needs his feet planted to throw a complete pass as we have the WORST O LINE that can't block for the run and give Zack the time to be comfortable in the pocket YUP time for run gun to come in and save our asses again !
Die Mannschaft ****🏆🇩🇪
FCB Bayern****⚽️🇩🇪
TFC⚽️🇨🇦
Buffalo Bills🏈

Count Floyd

Quote from: "cats99"
Masoli has bailed out Austin when Collaros went down with injury's. He got all my respect when he got us to within 1 play of the Grey Cup in 2015 despite Austin doing everything to get Jeff Mathews to lead this team after Collaros went down.
Masoli stepped up and did it all with his arm against Ottawa in the 2015 EF not just his legs putting up big passing numbers in the EF in Ottawa.

In case anyone hasn't noticed any momentum we had last year ended with Collaro's return and culminated with his interception that handed Edmonton the Eastern Semi Final.  The team is continuing where it left off of from last year's playoff loss to Edmonton and soft finish in 2016.

It's time to give Masoli a shot to lead this team and provide some kind of spark and save Austin's job.

I don't see what we have to lose.  I don't see any sign of life from this club at all.  Maybe Austin and his micro managing is being tuned out by the players?

(sorry, I think Collaros is a great guy, but I just don't see any signs of bringing this team to life since he came back from the knee injury)
As Zack needs his feet planted to throw a complete pass as we have the WORST O LINE that can't block for the run and give Zack the time to be comfortable in the pocket YUP time for run gun to come in and save our asses again !

Agreed, our O line is not good enough.  So, why not compensate for it by calling draws, screens, inside shovel passes, or quick slants?  Why keep doing the same thing & expecting different results?

cats99

Quote from: "Count Floyd"

Agreed, our O line is not good enough.  So, why not compensate for it by calling draws, screens, inside shovel passes, or quick slants?  Why keep doing the same thing & expecting different results?
Until they get the O line issues under control they should go to a two QB system why not I think it's too risky to hang out Zack to dry he gets hurt again we are Fu_ked! Also happy feet Masoli can get 1st downs on his own and keep the BC D honest ?!

Espo

Quote from: "Crash"
The issues with this team stretch far beyond the QB play.

Here are my observations after 2 weeks:

- Receivers are nowhere near open, balls being thrown to guys that are covered.
- QB running for his life with zero time to throw.
- ineffective running game
- Opponents receivers wide open at times
- Blitz way too much (Got pressure on Ray, none on Glenn)
- Return game is non existent

For years we wanted a stable organization, we finally have it and now people want Austin gone. Makes no sense to me.

The biggest question I have is where we sit with regards to the salary cap compared to other teams. Our only big offseason signing has yet to play for us. (and our biggest re-sign as well). Problem is neither of them play offence.

It just seems other teams sign big name players and we don't, our attempt last year (Owens) worked great until he was hurt, again.

Im going to let the professionals decide the best course, benching the QB and firing the coach are the oldest and most shallow solutions in the book, and in all honesty neither of them ever work.

Maybe that's the problem Crash?  Our best years were when Breaux and Harris and Simoni were giving us ridiculous field position every 5th possession.  

Maybe that's what we've been missing?  (that and some GD oline help)
Extraordinary claims require extraodinary proofs

my home team

Quote from: "my home team"
I love Austin. I think he was great and is great.
I don't hate Austin. He's been great for the team and very entertaining.
He established a great organization that peaked in 2014 and 2015.  Collaros was our man unfortunately he didn't win either of those Grey Cups nor did Burris in 2013.
Austin needed to move upstairs gradually and let Tillman, Condell/Ptasek, Steinhauer etc grow with the team like he let Collaros grow with the team.  Unfortunately, the organization has regressed.  These guys left with exception of Tillman probably due to lack of opportunity here.  (Ptazek is here and has called one game as OC).

Unfortunately it's too late to change things and now... Collaros is not what he used to be. Austin's fate is in Collaros and this team.  Collaros as the starter and I don't think he will regain his old form.  Hesitant to run, weak arm, lack of creativity.

My opinion is they aren't going to be any better in the next few weeks and their best chance to win is with Masoli and salvage this season or we can continue on our current path that we are headed down, be patient with Austin and hope what happened this year and the end of last year changes.

We don't know what the motivation was for these people to go elsewhere, and may never know.

Again, we have no idea how many games, if any, Stefan Ptaszek has called.

Perhaps, Collaros has been instructed to stay in the pocket to avoid the injuries he received when he left it. As far as the creativity he lacks, that may be because of the playbook and the OC.

All of this is speculation on your part. None of it factual.

But from this framework of guessing, you want us to believe that Collaros is past his prime and Kent Austin should be gone as a head coach.

And our ONLY salvation is to have Jeremiah Masoli as our starting quarterback.

Correct, this is all my opinion.     This is a forum for opinions and discussions like we are having.

Yes, I believe Collaros is not capable of scrapping out wins right now, he never had a great arm and is now less mobile and isn't showing too many signs of brilliance like he has in the past without a great supporting cast.  Yes, to make the best of the current offence and improve, I think we have a better shot with Masoli in there than Collaros right now as he is much more versatile which may give us some spark and take pressure off the o line.  As far as Austin, I think he should have went upstairs and left the coaching to some of senior coaching prospects he had like Steinaur and Condell.  That is water under the bridge. It's his show and our record will dictate what happens to him over the next 6 weeks or so.

Again, you're assuming that those people wanted to stay. Maybe they were looking for an opportunity outside of Hamilton. When Orlondo signed here, there was a clause that prohibited him from being recruited by other teams. By the end of last season, he was considered a leading candidate for a head coaching job in the CFL and yet went to the NCAA, again as a defensive co-ordinator. Besides, if Kent Austin went upstairs, he would still be their boss. If he and Condell had issues between them, promoting him would not fix any underlying problem.

Many have touted Calvillo as one of the all time greats, yet in his last year, with a subpar Oline , offense and coaching (Hawkins), he looked anything but stellar. In fact, as I recall, it was a hit from defensive end Ricky Foley  that led to the concussion and ended his career. So, much for his blocking.

The quarterback executes the play, however, in most cases, he does NOT call the play, do the blocking or catch the football. There are 11 other players on the field contributing to the success of the drive. They are ALL factors in the game.

In the comeback in Edmonton, Hamilton was 25 points down in the third quarter when the team reached back to defeat the Eskimos 37 -31. Masoli was the same thrower in the first half, same group of players. What was the difference?

Perhaps, the game plan changed. His teammates became more determined in the second half, not wanting to be embarrassed.

The quarterback can only affect so much.

He needs a WHOLE team effort around him to make his efforts successful.

I understand how easy it is to blame Zach Collaros for all the offensive woes. He is the leader, and the offensive plays START with him.

However, it doesn't always continue and end with him.

cats99

:thup:  :rockin:  :lol: Need a scrambling QB who can run for his life who's slippery! 1st DOWNNNNN

my home team

:thup:  :rockin:  :lol: Need a scrambling QB who can run for his life who's slippery! 1st DOWNNNNN

LOL...

If this team is going to continue with a quarterback, either Collaros or Masoli, they will need to grease them down plenty before the game...

ottawacat

Looking back, some ugly facts:
* The Cats have now lost 7 straight games and 8 of their last 9 (Regular Season + '16 ESF)
* Tomorrow's game vs. BC will be played 1 day shy of the 10-month anniversary of the most recent TiCat victory, in a
    game which Collaros started at QB.
* In that game, Ross Scheuerman had the ball on 21 plays -- 16 runs for 79 yds. and 5 receptions for 40 yds.
* Since that game vs. MTL last September, Collaros' starts have been 7 straight losses by an average of 10.8 pts., while
   Masoli lost 2 of his 3 starts, both by 3 pts.

my home team

"Since that game vs. MTL last September, Collaros' starts have been 7 straight losses by an average of 10.8 pts., while
 Masoli lost 2 of his 3 starts, both by 3 pts."

What would be more telling about these facts, is who the opponents were and who was sidelined for our team at the occasions of those games....

Palmer

I don't think our problems will be solved with just a QB change, nor do I believe the blame for lack of offence and QB production lies entirely with the O-line talent.   Schemes and play selection can hide a lot of deficiencies.  And I just read that Calgary has had 55 personnel changes already this year, and they are at 3-0, so our annual injury excuse doesn't really wash any more.

Dyakowski was expendable, over the hill because CJ didn't like him, but seems to be doing okay.  Burris prospered and Glenn is doing nicely after leaving.  Look at all the receivers, and even a few DBs, that have left and flourished with other teams.  All the guys that are here and the guys that have left come from the same feeder leagues and are all well trained, well conditioned, professional athletes.  Fail in Hamilton, shine everywhere else?

For me, if players cannot execute a 'system' well enough to be competitive, then there are really only two possibilities: the players are inadequate or the system is faulty.  Kent is responsible for both.  I think in 5 years we have seen that if players and coaches coming in can't seem to make the grade, those same players and coaches on leaving often go on to thrive if not excell.  So, what's the constant?  Seems to be the system in place in Hamilton, and we hear Kent constantly lay claim to it being his 'system'.  And it is not just one or two teams that pick us apart, it is all 8 - we have become the soft spot on every team's schedule, regardless of the kind words from the opposition coaches prior to the game.

I think the organization should give Kent the rest of the season to bring the team around, because in reality, who is going to step in and salvage it.   We need game to game improvement in all aspects, including entertainment value and competitiveness in each and every game, all game long.  If he can't cut it by the end of the year, he never will.  Eat the contract and hire Paul La Police.

my home team

Quote from: "Palmer"
I don't think our problems will be solved with just a QB change, nor do I believe the blame for lack of offence and QB production lies entirely with the O-line talent.   Schemes and play selection can hide a lot of deficiencies.  And I just read that Calgary has had 55 personnel changes already this year, and they are at 3-0, so our annual injury excuse doesn't really wash any more.

Dyakowski was expendable, over the hill because CJ didn't like him, but seems to be doing okay.  Burris prospered and Glenn is doing nicely after leaving.  Look at all the receivers, and even a few DBs, that have left and flourished with other teams.  All the guys that are here and the guys that have left come from the same feeder leagues and are all well trained, well conditioned, professional athletes.  Fail in Hamilton, shine everywhere else?

For me, if players cannot execute a 'system' well enough to be competitive, then there are really only two possibilities: the players are inadequate or the system is faulty.  Kent is responsible for both.  I think in 5 years we have seen that if players and coaches coming in can't seem to make the grade, those same players and coaches on leaving often go on to thrive if not excell.  So, what's the constant?  Seems to be the system in place in Hamilton, and we hear Kent constantly lay claim to it being his 'system'.  And it is not just one or two teams that pick us apart, it is all 8 - we have become the soft spot on every team's schedule, regardless of the kind words from the opposition coaches prior to the game.

I think the organization should give Kent the rest of the season to bring the team around, because in reality, who is going to step in and salvage it.   We need game to game improvement in all aspects, including entertainment value and competitiveness in each and every game, all game long.  If he can't cut it by the end of the year, he never will.  Eat the contract and hire Paul La Police.

Some good points..... :thup:  :thup:

However, Glenn has played for 11 teams, two of the CFL franchises twice (Riders and Bombers). The only city that hasn't held his rights is Edmonton.

If he is that good, why has he moved so often.

And sometimes a player just doesn't fit the system. I remember Glen Weir, came to Hamilton. Then traded to Montreal and became a grey cup champion and multiple all star.

It has not been just in Hamilton that this has happened. It has occurred with other teams as well.

Is it time, maturity or the melding with the right teammates??

Palmer

"Is it time, maturity or the melding with the right teammates??"

Or an unwillingness to adapt your system to take advantage of a player's strengths and skills?  My way or the highway?

my home team

"Is it time, maturity or the melding with the right teammates??"

Or an unwillingness to adapt your system to take advantage of a player's strengths and skills?  My way or the highway?

So, you're going to alter your system for everyone else to accommodate one player...he better be a REALLY good one.

With so many available through CIS, NCAA and even the NFL, that seems impractical to me.

I'm not saying that Hamilton has not made mistakes in drafting and locating players.

But.....on the other hand....

I think of Terrell Sinkfield, who the argos tossed aside, the Tiger cats immediately signed and how well he did here. Chad Owens was left unsigned and in the short time that he donned the black and gold and the impact he made.

No one wanted to take a chance on Delvin Breaux because of his previous neck injury until the Tiger cats brought him in. Chris Williams was on the riders neg list sitting at home until he came here.

Those are just a few of the recent ones that came off the top of my head...players that didn't work out for others and yet...when they came here....

You can also likely make a list of players that other teams signed and didn't work out.

seymour

Dyakowski was expendable, over the hill because CJ didn't like him, but seems to be doing okay.

Dyakowski has been solid starting at RG for the Riders. It's interesting how a player's career can be rejuvenated when he's finally playing for a coach that he respects and who knows how to use him and with a team that is very pleased to have Dyakowski on their roster.

Dyakowski still has excellent run blocking skills - something that was essentially totally wasted under Austin.

Users Online

204 Guests, 11 Users (15 Spiders, 3 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Grover, bobo82, papazoola, TheBreeze, smokeystover, DisplacedCatsFan, schmenger, James, Google (14), Baidu

Most Online Today: 261. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)