Crash

After my own sober second thought:
QB Stats this week by Passing Yards:
Jeremiah Masoli 328
Mike Reilly  323
Bo Levi Mitchell 240
Ricky Ray 224
Without looking up stats id bet he threw more (or the same) number of INTs as all 3 combined. His completion % was probably near the bottom of all starters this week and most importantly, lost.

The fact that you posted Masoli in the same group as the 3 best QBs in the league is laughable.
I didn't make those up. Mike Reilly lost too.
Killer: You're a smart enough football fan to know that pulling 1 stat (yards) and comparing them across the board proves very little to almost nothing. Of course you didn't make them up, you just pulled the 1 stat that shows Masoli played as well as the 3 best QBs in the league.

I guess the fair question Is.... so what?

Krisiun

Jeremiah Masoli 328
Mike Reilly  323
Bo Levi Mitchell 240
Ricky Ray 224
This shows that Masoli can move the ball but where he failed was in Red Zone execution. They were in scoring range about 6 times and they only managed 4 field goals, a pick in the endzone, and the 1 yard line fiasco. If they only scored TDs on 3 of those attempts then they would have won the game. But you can't consistently choke deep in the other teams zone unless you have a lights out defence, which we do not.

TheBreeze

Masoli had so many chances to win that game. He shows flashes of brilliance, but most of the time he is rubbish.

Get Collaros back in for the rest of the year, and if he doesn't perform, look for someone else in the off-season.

of course

I'm beginning to think that the underlying reason why Jones is not playing Collaros is that the Ticats are trying to trade Collaros, and don't want him injured before finally pulling the trigger on that deal.

Palmer

I just looked through the summary of the game stats today in my local daily (we're outside of the Hamilton area).  Could have checked the CFL page, but have been on the go.  Anyway, the summary stats show that statistically, Jeremiah out played Bridge, and the Cats were ahead of the Riders in most of the summary statistics, including first downs, yards passing, yards rushing, total yards, sacks, and time of possession.  Admittedly, passing percentage was lower, but a number of those were avoiding sacks, avoiding pressure, or drops by the receivers.

So, as the coaches tell us repeatedly, two or three plays really did make the difference and it backs up my gut feeling from the game that Jeremiah had a decent game on the stats tables.

Let's get off the "dump on Masoli" wagon, and start giving this guy his due.  No, he's not the smoothest QB on the field, his passes look suspiciously duck-like, and he runs like blocking back, but he is getting the job done.  IMO the last three games have been much more entertaining than the first eight, wins and the loss, and that is a compliment to both Jones and Masoli.

I recall reading somewhere that Jones wanted to sit Zach for about four games, so I'm thinking we will see Jeremiah start and finish the B.C. game, but would not be at all surprised to see Zach back for the Toronto game, or a part of it. 

DisplacedCatsFan

...Jeremiah out played Bridge, and the Cats were ahead of the Riders in most of the summary statistics, including first downs, yards passing, yards rushing, total yards, sacks, and time of possession.
The only stat that matters is the score, and the Riders out-did us in that one.  We gave SK a short field on a fumble, and instant field position with a loogie to the face.

Speaking of loogies, that is about the ONLY thing I never experienced in playing 15-years of water polo.  Even though 90% of the game is played under water (use your imagination), and fists, feet, elbows, and heads often make contact with faces, no-one ever horked a loogie in my face...
Formerly sigpig

Velox Versutus Vigilans

R.I.P. Cpl Nathan Cirillo Albainn Gu Brath

Palmer

...Jeremiah out played Bridge, and the Cats were ahead of the Riders in most of the summary statistics, including first downs, yards passing, yards rushing, total yards, sacks, and time of possession.
The only stat that matters is the score, and the Riders out-did us in that one.  We gave SK a short field on a fumble, and instant field position with a loogie to the face.

Speaking of loogies, that is about the ONLY thing I never experienced in playing 15-years of water polo.  Even though 90% of the game is played under water (use your imagination), and fists, feet, elbows, and heads often make contact with faces, no-one ever horked a loogie in my face...
Didn't notice the "Loogies By/Loogies Against" stat line ;D.  Disgusting display of selfishness, should result in a healthy fine IMO.

Killer91

Jeremiah Masoli 328
Mike Reilly  323
Bo Levi Mitchell 240
Ricky Ray 224
Without looking up stats id bet he threw more (or the same) number of INTs as all 3 combined. His completion % was probably near the bottom of all starters this week and most importantly, lost.

The fact that you posted Masoli in the same group as the 3 best QBs in the league is laughable.
I didn't make those up. Mike Reilly lost too.
Killer: You're a smart enough football fan to know that pulling 1 stat (yards) and comparing them across the board proves very little to almost nothing. Of course you didn't make them up, you just pulled the 1 stat that shows Masoli played as well as the 3 best QBs in the league.

I guess the fair question Is.... so what?
Wow, a respectful comment on here...thanks for that, very civil of you. Most people on hear are itching to rip everyone's opinion - that is actually a nice way to pose the question.

I thought they/he played like crap.. but as crap as they did look, they had a chance to win. After rewatching and reviewing maybe not as crap as I originally thought while attending the game.  While he ran for 60 yards to boot our running back ran for less.  Meanwhile, in T.O. and Ott, the running backs had huge games...so maybe his play was not as crap as I first thought, even though I believe he is the best we have right now.  I think yards passing is a relevant stat though to judge a quarterback on?  Yes, INT were bad but - he gets impatient trying to make things happen.  (INT's are bad and bring to mind the INT that ended the ESF last year, that one infuriates me when we debate our QB's (respectfully). )

ottawacat

If "The only stat that matters is the score," it should be crystal clear to everyone who should be our QB -- the only guy who's QB'd the team this year in games when the final score was in our favour.

mr62cats

Masoli had so many chances to win that game. He shows flashes of brilliance, but most of the time he is rubbish.

Get Collaros back in for the rest of the year, and if he doesn't perform, look for someone else in the off-season.
TheBreeze:   I'm still a fan of Zach's and hope he is able to show what he can do with June Jones' offence. But I would not call Masoli "rubbish".
Unlike some back-ups who are supposed to be just like their starter so the coaches don't have to change the game plan or play calling, Masoli brings a different set of skills to the job. He is a big guy who likes to run and can be tough to stop. He can loft the ball quite well but his unfortunately his accuracy is off and leads to interceptions.
 I think Masoli is a good backup and is capable of winning a game or two. But I don't see him as a permanent starter. Zach is much more of a leader and a much better passer. He also makes better reads as long as he has a few seconds worth of protection. Masoli has had the benefit of an O-line which has improved a bit since Zach last started.
I just hope the "someone else" you mention is not the clown with the same initials as Masoli.
I worry that the same foolishness that resulted in the Briles' hiring, is still in place and can't wait to get the other JM as their starter. Hope I am wrong.  

Krisiun

I just hope the "someone else" you mention is not the clown with the same initials as Masoli.
I worry that the same foolishness that resulted in the Briles' hiring, is still in place and can't wait to get the other JM as their starter. Hope I am wrong.  
Unfortunately, this is a business that needs to draw fans and attention to itself in order to thrive or in some cases even to survive. Manziel might be a freakshow but he is known North America wide and would create much more interest in the Cats than a Masoli led team. 

Palmer

Unfortunately, this is a business that needs to draw fans and attention to itself in order to thrive or in some cases even to survive. Manziel might be a freakshow but he is known North America wide and would create much more interest in the Cats than a Masoli led team.
I think that is the fear coming through in most of the posts - that the CFL and the Cats need a diversion like Manziel to spark interest, and, if so, is that really what we want to be the reason the city and the team are newsworthy?

Krisiun

I think that is the fear coming through in most of the posts - that the CFL and the Cats need a diversion like Manziel to spark interest, and, if so, is that really what we want to be the reason the city and the team are newsworthy?
Newsworthy or not, the question is will Manziel put bums in the seats and fill up the team's coffers? For the short term, yes he will. If he turns out to be an excellent product on the field as well, then it could be a longer term solution to financial stability. That's all that really matters in this debate.

ExPat

If that doesn't work we could always hire a female kicker ...  broadcast the post game showers on the big screen ... give out door prizes to date the cheerleader of you choice ... etc.  Think of the social media impact!

DisplacedCatsFan

If that doesn't work we could always hire a female kicker ...  broadcast the post game showers on the big screen ... give out door prizes to date the cheerleader of you choice ... etc.  Think of the social media impact!
Is that you, Mr. Glieberman?

Users Online

61 Guests, 4 Users (18 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
OskeeweeneeVI, Braleyneedstogo, toddstattoo, Yahoo!, Google (17)

Most Online Today: 109. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)