ExPat

Lets hope Masoli bails us out again ...
Are you really going to revive that ridiculous expression that you couldn't seem to stop using last year?  It was inaccurate to characterize any player's contribution that way, but completely absurd when you're actually talking about the starting QB.

TeddyFay

If Manziel was relegated to carrying the clipboard we wouldn't see most of the game.  To please the American audience, the camera would be focussed on the bench area.  Rod Black says, " there's Johnny Football directing the offense.  Oh look, he is standing next to Luke Tasker, son of NFL great Steve Tasker."

Crash

The irony here is that if Masoli plays anywhere near how he did in the preseason and continues to be the least accurate passer in the CFL, the show has just begun.

Killer91

Lets hope Masoli bails us out again ...
Are you really going to revive that ridiculous expression that you couldn't seem to stop using last year?  It was inaccurate to characterize any player's contribution that way, but completely absurd when you're actually talking about the starting QB.
I know, it's a team game, Jeff Mathews or Jykori Harris could have done what Masoli did I'm sure. Now Johnny too.

FormerlyTurkish

This cdn superiority thing that the cfl is akin to physics is a lot of horse****.  Its football albeit different.  Jf and the rest didnt exactly come off the playground. If some of the "expert" posters here can understand it I'm sure the players will figure it out.

SeaFiddle

This cdn superiority thing that the cfl is akin to physics is a lot of horse****.  Its football albeit different.  Jf and the rest didnt exactly come off the playground. If some of the "expert" posters here can understand it I'm sure the players will figure it out.
Well, evidently not everyone believes in the cdn superiority thing because killer91 insulted most of the ticats by saying yesterday’s game was equivalent to a high school game. 

safetyblitz

What people are saying is that, for QBs at least, it's *different*. The mental part of being a QB in NFL-style football does not directly transfer to CFL-style football. It would be a little bit like if you've had the tools in your workshop arranged exactly how you like for 10 or 20 years, so you can grab whatever tool you need without even looking, but then you're forced to spend 2 years working in someone else's workshop where he has everything arranged completely differently. Sure, you can still get stuff done, but not nearly as quickly or automatically as you could in the shop you were accustomed to. Yeah, you can get used to the new shop, but first you'll spend a lot of time having to look around for what you need and/or reaching to the wrong spots out of habit.

Re-read the interview reigning CFL MOP Mike Reilly did for ESPN. Choice passages:

But the way that the defensive coordinators here can create different schemes in different zones, it's not the same as in American football. The windows aren't the same. How you read different coverages is not the same.

That cushion that you might have in American football where a guy is open and you throw it, here that cushion and that window is different.

Everybody generally has a strong-enough arm to do it, but understanding what makes a guy actually open enough to throw the ball requires a different thought process.

But what you have to understand, too, is that the defense is also going to be moving around and making adjustments based on your motion. So when you're at the line of scrimmage and you send your receivers in motion, you've got about two or three seconds before you're going to snap the ball, and what the defense was showing you before the motions versus after the motions is going to be completely different.
http://www.espn.com/cfl/story/_/id/23660604/johnny-manziel-road-cfl-stardom-path-back-nfl-easy

Evil Doctor

The irony here is that if Masoli plays anywhere near how he did in the preseason and continues to be the least accurate passer in the CFL, the show has just begun.
Why do you keep harping on that one Derek Taylor cherry picked stat, which isn't even a stat that CFL.ca even tracks while ignoring all the other stats he led in his 10 game starts (compared to the 10 games the other starters played in that span), like yards, and having the best TD-to-Interception ratio?

It's almost like you're hating on him for the sake of hating on him....

Crash

Why do you keep harping on that one Derek Taylor cherry picked stat, which isn't even a stat that CFL.ca even tracks while ignoring all the other stats he led in his 10 game starts (compared to the 10 games the other starters played in that span), like yards, and having the best TD-to-Interception ratio?

Kinda like harping on how many games in a row a QB loses when its clearly a team game? 

I said at the time last year I wasn't a fan of the receivers he missed that were wide open. Lets ignore the "Derek Taylor cherry picked stat" for a second. He was 2nd last among QBs for COMPLETION PERCENTAGE (real stat), the only QB he was better than was Zach Collaros (63.7% to 62.8%). In the Derek Taylor video he mentions that "Masoli threw double the passes either at or behind the line of scrimmage". There's no other way to cut it, that's a terrible stat. It just proves what many on this site have said, which is that he isn't that accurate. Collaros was within 1 percentage point in a completely different offense throwing no screens, hitches or anything. I still maintain that any QB in the league could have run the offense last year because the throws weren't that hard. Throwing a screen to Banks who takes it 60 yards on the first play of the game is QB stat padding.

At least something I'm harping on is actually a thing unlike others that continually harp on things like "bailing us out" or "hes a team guy who his teammates love" or "the team magically gets better he's in" - that's emotional. I'm providing stats and my own observations, which is that Masoli isn't that accurate and for every great ball he zips into a window he misses 2 guys wide open in the flats.

If we're going to continue to throw hitches and screens all day i'd personally rather start the season with Manziel.

Slomojo2005

Problem is Masoli is only slightly above average at best. And it won't be too hard to see Manziel getting a pretty quick shot if the Cats falter the first few weeks.
And when Manziel falters?  We are screwed!

Slomojo2005

Kinda like harping on how many games in a row a QB loses when its clearly a team game?

I said at the time last year I wasn't a fan of the receivers he missed that were wide open. Lets ignore the "Derek Taylor cherry picked stat" for a second. He was 2nd last among QBs for COMPLETION PERCENTAGE (real stat), the only QB he was better than was Zach Collaros (63.7% to 62.8%). In the Derek Taylor video he mentions that "Masoli threw double the passes either at or behind the line of scrimmage". There's no other way to cut it, that's a terrible stat. It just proves what many on this site have said, which is that he isn't that accurate. Collaros was within 1 percentage point in a completely different offense throwing no screens, hitches or anything. I still maintain that any QB in the league could have run the offense last year because the throws weren't that hard. Throwing a screen to Banks who takes it 60 yards on the first play of the game is QB stat padding.

At least something I'm harping on is actually a thing unlike others that continually harp on things like "bailing us out" or "hes a team guy who his teammates love" or "the team magically gets better he's in" - that's emotional. I'm providing stats and my own observations, which is that Masoli isn't that accurate and for every great ball he zips into a window he misses 2 guys wide open in the flats.

If we're going to continue to throw hitches and screens all day i'd personally rather start the season with Manziel.
Excellent Crash!  I can’t believe how many people on fhis forum put on “ rose coloured glasses” when it came to Masoli and how he personally turned the team around last year. It was a total team tirn around and it happened right after Austin left and NOT because of Jones magic.  I like Masoli but he is just mediocre, not our Grey Cup guy/ not the guy.  I’d like to mention the ZC guy now but people will jump all over that!

Caretaker

"When are we ever going to develop a QB ?"

Hamilton Tiger-Cat fans

1950 - present.
You might want to adjust that starting date. We did develop at least one pretty good QBs early in that period.
HTC fans are timeless.
Finding something to complain about no matter how positive or constructive or contradictory
Let's not paint "Tiger-Cat fans" with either the grumpiness or brilliance (depending on your point of view) of the folks who post here.

A simple rule of public forums - less than 10% of the audience, the people who read these forums, ever post anything.   And the vast majority of Ticats fans don't even read these forums.

So judging Ticat Fans by the opinions of those passionate few of us who post in these forums, is unfair to the happy carefree people who enjoy following the Tiger-Cats win or lose.   ;-)

Killer91

If we want to talk team. We can talk chemistry too.  I hope this team has the chemistry it developed in the last half of last year under the current new conditions especially on offense. I'm sure the royal treatment JF is getting and the exaggeration of is every move by the media is not going unnoticed by the veterans on this team.  We had a better second half, signed the right guys to keep things moving forward in the off season and then the last two weeks drastically changed everything.  Time will tell if the recent changes will keep last year's momentum going.  If this forum is any reflection of the chemistry on the team, than we might be in for a tough start.  I hope we are ready for the first month of the season that is all I am saying.  We are going to need everyone to fire on all cylinders.  I am not in the mood to pay and sit through more growing pains like last year. ie: learning the Canadian game, clock management, how to score from the 3 yard line, what underwear to pack in Calgary etc...Last year was tough to stomach on and off the field until we finally turned it around and we were patient through a lot on and off the field.  I hope we haven't gone backwards that's all.  I want to hear what we are doing to prepare for football now, not Johnny Football.  The second half of the season was at least entertaining.  The last two weeks has been entertaining but certainly in a different way.  Anyway, can't wait for Saturday either way so the team can show what it's worth to everyone over and above the one guy getting the attention!! It's all good conversation.

SeaFiddle

1.  Sorry, the attention that follows JF is not going away and that’s good for the CFL.

2.  I hope the Cats do well next Saturday but if they don’t if won’t be Manziel’s fault.

150GAGE

Seafiddle, I think the secret plan is to start JF next week.  Shhhhh. ;D

Users Online

65 Guests, 2 Users (11 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
slowhand, ExPat, Google (AdSense), Google (10)

Most Online Today: 121. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)