RichardVeilleux

When a team pay a bonus, the amount of the bonus goes against the cap, the year it was/is paid. Often, teams with flexibility/availability on the approved cap, may pay a player that they want to keep an amount before the end of a calendar year,thus the impact won't be as great on next season cap.

Assuming,as was written, Zach Collaros contract calls for $540,000 in 2018 and it includes a bonus of $250,000 on February 1,2018, this amount will go against Hamilton cap in 2018; assuming Hamilton retains Zach, the remainder $290,000- would go against the cap, 1 game at a time; on the other hand, if he remains with Hamilton and goes on the 6 game injured list, there will be no impact on the approved cap,for the days on 6 game injured list.

I definitely don't imagine Hamilton paying Zach $250,000 on February 1,2018 and then letting him go or trade him to another team; if so they would have a hit of $250,000 on the cap and nothing to show.

I know that teams may pay a player a bonus amount in February or so, but usually the amount does not compare to the $250,000 payable to Zach. I do know that my team,the Alouettes, paid bonuses to players such as S.J. Green and Bear Woods in 2017 and then trade or release them; to Green it was $75,000 in February 2017 and $25,000 to Woods also in February.The argos did benefit, particularly with Green.

To me, the only option making sense for Hamilton is to keep Zach or release him or try to trade him,before February 1,2018; I don't foresee a team trading for Zach at his current contract; the such team would definitely try to have the contract reviewed before trading for him; Hamilton could also try to review his contract in order to keep him.

Richard

ExPat

I definitely don't imagine Hamilton paying Zach $250,000 on February 1,2018 and then letting him go or trade him to another team; if so they would have a hit of $250,000 on the cap and nothing to show.
I agree.  Such a move would be indefensible, in my opinion.  While it would improve Zach's trade value, it would put us $250k behind every other team in the salary cap race, and effectively $500k+ behind the trade partner, who would get to pay only half the ticket price for Collaros.

That $250k could buy us the top free agent in the league at virtually any position other than QB - a real difference-maker for our team in one of our many areas of weakness.

Grover

Clint Bubba O'Neil‏ 
@BubbaCHCH
 14m14 minutes ago
Contract talks between the Tiger-Cats and free agent east division all-star Brandon Banks may have hit a snag. #CFL #Ticats

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

Count Floyd

Clint Bubba O'Neil
@BubbaCHCH

14m14 minutes ago
Contract talks between the Tiger-Cats and free agent east division all-star Brandon Banks may have hit a snag. #CFL #Ticats
"may have" hit a snag?  That can also mean "may have not" hit a snag.  Now, THAT'S some crappy journalism.

Grover

Clint Bubba O'Neil
@BubbaCHCH
14m14 minutes ago
"may have" hit a snag?  That can also mean "may have not" hit a snag.  Now, THAT'S some crappy journalism.

AND THEN SPEEDY SAYS IT IS ALL BULL CRAP!!!!!

CFL News
@CFL_News

2m2 minutes ago
Speedy sets record straight on state of talks between himself & #Ticats....  RT .@speedybanks87
Haven’t heard from team at all don’t start the false info !!!!#notalks #CFL

schmenger

Nice bit of reporting there Bubba. Priceless

Count Floyd

Clint Bubba O'Neil
@BubbaCHCH

14m14 minutes ago
"may have" hit a snag?  That can also mean "may have not" hit a snag.  Now, THAT'S some crappy journalism.

AND THEN SPEEDY SAYS IT IS ALL BULL CRAP!!!!!

CFL News
@CFL_News

2m2 minutes ago
Speedy sets record straight on state of talks between himself & #Ticats....  RT .@speedybanks87
Haven’t heard from team at all don’t start the false info !!!!#notalks #CFL
Interesting.  He was very quick to shoot this rumour down, but still hasn't denied the incident with the anonymous player saying that Speedy won't re-sign in Hamilton if Austin is still here.

ExPat

Is this the portion of the season where we start to read about all the other teams locking up their best free agents while our team remains silent?

schmenger

Is this the portion of the season where we start to read about all the other teams locking up their best free agents while our team remains silent?
The need to finalize their head coach position first!

Grover

If there is any cap space remaining from this season we can use that cap space to re-sign some of our own Free agents.
In other words any signing bonus given to a player that re-signs before Dec. 31 2017 will apply to the 2017 Cap if there are sufficient funds remaining under the Cap.
Clearing Gable and Chick off the books early, may have created some space to do this.

schmenger

The clock is ticking for the Tiger Cats to improve. Time does not wait for anybody especially in football. Get going.

Grover

We actually have the shortest list of Free Agents in the League

This is officially now the era of 1 year contracts.  8)

https://www.cfl.ca/fa18/

MTL - 27

OTT - 26

TOR - 23

HAM - 17

WPG - 18

SSK - 22

CGY - 27

EDM - 37

BC  -  22

bobo82

We actually have the shortest list of Free Agents in the League

This is officially now the era of 1 year contracts.  8)

https://www.cfl.ca/fa18/

MTL - 27

OTT - 26

TOR - 23

HAM - 17

WPG - 18

SSK - 22

CGY - 27

EDM - 37

BC  -  22
We may have the shortest list but a quick scan of the other 8 teams FA lists shows that there are 28 former Cats that might be available on the open market if they're not re-signed by their current team.
So as crazy as it sounds there is more ex-Cats available total then the top ranked Alouettes have with their list of 27 FA's  :o

Here is a team by team list of former Cats who might become available . Surprisingly there aren't many out of the 28 who I would be interested in wanting the team to re-sign for a second  go around with the club . 

Montreal (5)............Xavier Fulton-ot /Jacory Harris-qb /Jeremy Lewis-ot /Brian Simmons-ol
Brandon Stewart-db 

Ottawa  (4)............Arnold Gascon-Nadon-de/Mossis Madu-rb/Brent Maher-k/Taylor Reed-lb

Toronto (3)............Rico Murray-lb /Johnny Sears-db/Cassius Vaughan-db

Winnipeg (2).........Dan LeFevour-qb/Drake Nevis-dt

Saskatchewan (2).Chris Getzlaf-wr/Eddie Steele-dt

Calgary (2)...........Rory Kohlert-wr/Anthony Woodson-rb

Edmonton (9).......Johnny Adams-db/John Delahunt-fb/Joel Figueroa-ot/CJ Gable-rb/Alex Hoffman-Ellis-lb/Neil King-db/Kendell Lawrence-rb/Hugh O'Neill-k/Simeon Rottier-ol

B.Columbia (1).....Cody Husband-ol
15 GREY CUPS for HAMILTON BASED TEAMS

Grover

Here is the complete list.

My list of our must re-signs

Masoli
Laurent
Banks
Tasker
T. Washington
Dean
Capicotti

blackandgld

Here is the complete list.

My list of our must re-signs

Masoli
Laurent
Banks
Tasker
T. Washington
Dean
Capicotti

Must signs is all relative in the CFL. I do really like the Cats you posted but if we didn't sign Tasker and instead signed Acrceneaux or Duron Carter that would be ok. If we didn't sign Dean and instead signed Bear Woods, Bass or Taylor Reed. No Tony Washington? OK, lets sign Figeroua or one of the Winnipeg or Sask FA OL. Now I like BIG Ted a lot but Masoli to me is the only MUST sign.

Users Online

93 Guests, 10 Users (10 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
FootbalYouBet, RedandWhite, Iconic SR, Mightygoose, Sidney, Mark31, schmenger, ed ohmnes, MrLucky, Google (8), Baidu, Alexa

Most Online Today: 132. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)