ticatbill

A lots gonna depend on jj coming back if he does i see masoli banks for sure . id like to see everyone back

Obrigardo

I'd let Ted Laurent walk.  We were fine on the D-Line when he was injured.  Like Collaros, Laurent is no longer worth what we are paying him this year, and that cash can be better spend elsewhere (i.e. a few DB's who can consistently cover)
I hope they can find a way to bring Ted back at a reasonable price.i think he's a great player .careful what you say about Ted's contract there is someone on this site and he knows who he is that will crucify you for that logic

Slomojo2005

I'd let Ted Laurent walk.  We were fine on the D-Line when he was injured.  Like Collaros, Laurent is no longer worth what we are paying him this year, and that cash can be better spend elsewhere (i.e. a few DB's who can consistently cover)
So you want to save $ by letting guys like Laurent go so that you can have those same management types that forum contributors have complained about, mismanage those same saved $ ?  Is that what you are saying? DB’s?  We had near 20 in camp for evaluation this past year!  If the TiCat brass couldn’t find a few DB’s who can consistently cover with 20 to look at, no hope ! 

Slomojo2005

A lots gonna depend on jj coming back if he does i see masoli banks for sure . id like to see everyone back
Banks isn’t going to come back at the reduced rate he took last year!  So there goes some of the fund$.

Grover

Banks isn’t going to come back at the reduced rate he took last year!  So there goes some of the fund$.
We should remember that both Chick and Gable are now gone, both were at the top end of pay at their positions.
I does not look as though E. Davis could be back, unless his scratches were injury related.
He also came in at or near the top pay for his position.

If that totals $400K off the books and it cost $200K for their 3 replacements that leaves $200K extra
for re-signing some players
$200K = 10 players get $20K raises

I should also mention we had some pretty expensive "O"linemen on the roster at the beginning of the season in Lewis, Fulton and Swindle also Butler who probably came in at + - $100K each are all gone off the books.

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

ottawacat

While Zach Collaros is signed through 2018, his situation here and the terms of his contract certainly are in the picture as Austin and his staff looks at their list of players who aren't signed beyond this year.  I've seen the term "sizeable" used in media reports of a contract bonus due to Collaros in February, but was quite surprised to read today that "sizeable" = 1/4 million dollars, payable on February 1/18.

https://www.pressreader.com/canada/ottawa-sun/20171114/282153586568205

blackandgld

We should remember that both Chick and Gable are now gone, both were at the top end of pay at their positions.
I does not look as though E. Davis could be back, unless his scratches were injury related.
He also came in at or near the top pay for his position.

If that totals $400K off the books and it cost $200K for their 3 replacements that leaves $200K extra
for re-signing some players
$200K = 10 players get $20K raises

I should also mention we had some pretty expensive "O"linemen on the roster at the beginning of the season in Lewis, Fulton and Swindle also Butler who probably came in at + - $100K each are all gone off the books.
And $540K off the books at some point too i would guess.

Grover

While Zach Collaros is signed through 2018, his situation here and the terms of his contract certainly are in the picture as Austin and his staff looks at their list of players who aren't signed beyond this year.  I've seen the term "sizeable" used in media reports of a contract bonus due to Collaros in February, but was quite surprised to read today that "sizeable" = 1/4 million dollars, payable on February 1/18.

Good find ottawacat, thanks for posting.

$250K!!! that is one heck of a hit.
I would think he would have another payment due after passing his physical the day before Training Camp.

IMHO there are 3 options

1. Trade for a crappy draft pick or just release Zach before Feb.1st and use that $540K savings to spend on our own(Masoli, Banks) and other teams F/A's. (example Dionte Spencer is a F/A)

2. Wait until after Feb.1st, pay Zach his $250K and then put him up for trade, with that amount off the books hopefully a bidding war ensues, his value in picks, prospects and key players would be huge, Plus it would still clear $290K off the Cap for us.

3. Keep Zach and he will probably sign elsewhere after next season

ExPat

That sure is a heavy front-end load.

I can see why a player would want that in his contract.  If he's still in the good books of the team, they will have no issue paying him the bonus.  But if they are not sure about him, it forces them to make a decision early.  And if the decision is not to pay him the bonus, then the player gets to have control over where he goes next, and prior to the other teams allocating their entire free agency budgets. 

If the decision is to trade him before the bonus is due instead of releasing him, of course, he does not have that same control - but at least he knows the new team wants him, and likely as a starter, if it is willing to pay the up-front amount.

Without that bonus, the Ticats could string Zach along and possibly release him at/before training camp, at which point other teams may be all set at starting QB and he has considerably reduced options for 2018.

ottawacat

2. Wait until after Feb.1st, pay Zach his $250K and then put him up for trade, with that amount off the books hopefully a bidding war ensues, his value in picks, prospects and key players would be huge, Plus it would still clear $290K off the Cap for us.
Now, that's thinking outside the box, Grover.
That idea is going to be bangin' around in my head for days.  
My immediate reaction -- I like it.

hendy77

Zac is not taking a pay cut.

When Zac gets traded, you are going to see the Cats retain a huge chunk of his salary. My guess would be in the $200-250k range retained.

I think it'll be the Riders.

Is it June (2018) yet?

stevehvh

IMHO there are 3 options

1. Trade for a crappy draft pick or just release Zach before Feb.1st and use that $540K savings to spend on our own(Masoli, Banks) and other teams F/A's. (example Dionte Spencer is a F/A)

3. Keep Zach and he will probably sign elsewhere after next season
I think either #1 or #2 is the way to go.

Re #1, his value right now is probably not really very high. $250K is a lot to bite off for another team, fo a guy who hasn't really performed at an elite level for a couple of years, albeit through no fault of his own. But there's a risk he won't perform at close to that level again. Saving $540K to spend elsewhere would be awfully attractive for the Ticats, quite apart from whatever might come back in trade.

Re #2, I'm not sure his value after Feb 1 is huge. Better than before the bonus date, but not huge. All the same questions about his ability to rebound remain. Teams might find the paycheque to him more palatable, but they won't give up the farm for him. For the Ticats, the question becomes what extra value can be extracted from another team in this scenario, and does it outweigh the $250K saving under #1. That's a bit of a crap shoot.

If I were the Ticats management, I think I'd go with #1, and spend the $250K the way I want to.
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
- Hubert H. Humphrey

Grover

When Zac gets traded, you are going to see the Cats retain a huge chunk of his salary. My guess would be in the $200-250k range retained.

I am not sure retaining salary is allowed in the CFL, I can't recall it happening.
Does anyone know if there are any examples?

TommyBoy1

I am not sure retaining salary is allowed in the CFL, I can't recall it happening.
Does anyone know if there are any examples?
There's no need for anyone to retain salary in football -- there are no guaranteed contracts.

They would just cut him and be free of any contract obligation.

blackandgld

Contracts are non guaranteed. No need to retain any $$$ at all. And all we as fans care about is how does it affect our salary cap.

Not sure how the salary cap game works as far as front load back load. In the NHL if a guy has a 3 year deal earning $2 mill, $4 mill, $6 mill, the cap hit is based on the avg of the contract or $4 mill/season.
If the Cats pay the early bonus is the cap hit still $540K divided by 18 games. So if ZC doesn't play any games for us and we trade him before the season are the Cats out the bonus money but nothing as a cap hit?

Users Online

64 Guests, 4 Users (12 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Mightygoose, ed ohmnes, Sidney, Google (12)

Most Online Today: 114. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)