stevehvh

Good points, well made, ExPat. 

None if us knows how the coaching staff came to their decision on this move. They must think Bomben is fairly well  replaceable, and that Chapman's potential is very high. I'm with you, let's hope they're right.
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
- Hubert H. Humphrey

vjcos

So we are trading all star O lineman, because ?
We have trouble at the best of times getting  a yard on a third and short?
We started off last year 0 and 8 !!
Destroying the Confidence of the #1 QB in the league, so we ran him out of town ?
We're drafting some promising O linemen ?
Trading a great Canadian Receiver we got from Edmonton, Gave him to Montreal so we could draft an unproven Receiver ?
A QB on our Neg list we could have got a Kings Ransom from The Als ?
someone please tick off some boxes for me I'm confused.

CatsFaninOttawa

So we are trading all star O lineman, because ?
We have trouble at the best of times getting  a yard on a third and short?
We started off last year 0 and 8 !!
Destroying the Confidence of the #1 QB in the league, so we ran him out of town ?
We're drafting some promising O linemen ?
Trading a great Canadian Receiver we got from Edmonton, Gave him to Montreal so we could draft an unproven Receiver ?
A QB on our Neg list we could have got a Kings Ransom from The Als ?
someone please tick off some boxes for me I'm confused.
I seem to remember getting most of our third and short by the end of the year.

Washington is an unproven international receiver, not a Canadian. A Canadian receiver with what looks like great potential beats that by a mile. (Had they traded Chambers, who we got from Edmonton, I could see your point.)

Trade Manziel's rights to Montreal? You really want Montreal to have a good QB (assuming he stays off the booze)? Plus, Manziel does fit Jones's coaching style. Could be pretty effective backup for Masoli (see previous comment).

gerbear9

Why would we trade such an established olineman when we really have no valid replacement..

Is Chapman that good?   i assume they are planning on using Rice at guard but this weakens our oline ...
i guess we get more cap money to spend on a db , rush end or other olineman ?

i gues the chapman pick pretty much rules out a fantuz return  

HfxTC

Why would we trade such an established olineman when we really have no valid replacement..

Is Chapman that good?   i assume they are planning on using Rice at guard but this weakens our oline ...
i guess we get more cap money to spend on a db , rush end or other olineman ?

i gues the chapman pick pretty much rules out a fantuz return  
Ran and Shoot offense does not put the same requirements on an offensive line. Then there is June Jones maybe not understanding what happens if your offensive line collapses because of injuries.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.

ottawacat

........... Trading a great Canadian Receiver we got from Edmonton, Gave him to Montreal so we could draft an unproven Receiver ?
Need a little help on this part of your post, vjcos.
Drawin' a blank on who you're referring to.

HfxTC

........... Trading a great Canadian Receiver we got from Edmonton, Gave him to Montreal so we could draft an unproven Receiver ?
Need a little help on this part of your post, vjcos.
Drawin' a blank on who you're referring to.
He probably thinks Robinson is a Canadian.

Grover

“Obviously I had no idea it was coming. I hadn’t heard anything from Hamilton to indicate I might be getting traded,” Bomben told the Montreal Gazette from his home in Burlington, Ont. “It was obviously a complete shock. I’d planned on playing the rest of my career in Hamilton. Obviously that was a pretty big curve ball for me.

“Getting traded always kind of sucks,” Bomben said. “It means one team doesn’t want you, which is never what you want to have. At the same time, it’s nice to have another team that does want you. It’s a weird feeling.”
Bomben’s wife is expecting their second child in late August and he’s in the process of building a new home.
“We’re trying to figure out what we’re going to do and how it’s going to work out,” he said. “It definitely has gotten easier after the initial shock, which is expected. It was definitely a shock and we were in a bit of a panic mode for the first 24 hours. Every day that has gone by since has made it easier for sure.”

MORE HERE

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/football/cfl/montreal-alouettes/alouettes-ryan-bomben-moves-on-from-trade-shock-focuses-on-new-season

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

catfish

Looks like 69Dude will get a chance at filling in for Bomben. 8) 

ExPat

For those keeping score on this trade, it appears the receiver we sent to Montreal, Jamal Robinson, has been released.

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/football/cfl/montreal-alouettes/alouettes-trade-no-1-pick-bring-guard-ryan-bomben-back-into-the-fold

Now I'm glad I never officially predicted that he would become a star for the Als.  Of course I know nothing about Robinson, but my glass-half-empty attitude made me think we might have given up something important (besides the all-star NAT O-lineman).

If the Ticats were really high on Robinson, I wonder if there's a practice roster spot with his name on it back here?

blackandgld

He had a terrible game against the Cats last week. Dropped a couple easy ones. Rod Black couldn't oooze enough hype at him so I watched him as close as you can on TV.

Tipper

8)  Why would we want the guy back when they already felt he was expendable, and he couldn't even make the Montreal roster now !!!  What does that tell you   :-[

blackandgld

exactly^^^although on the other hand i would welcome Bakari back with open arms.

ExPat

8)  Why would we want the guy back when they already felt he was expendable, and he couldn't even make the Montreal roster now !!!  What does that tell you   :-[
I don’t know.  Why did we just sign an RB who EDM decided was not as good as the guy that we decided was expendable last year?   

Maybe we parted with Robinson reluctantly because we were so eager to get the rights to Chapman (and then not sign him).  

I know nothing about Robinson.  

Slomojo2005

I suggest the Cats have ample Cap space
all these players gone

Collaros - $540K
Bomben - $170K
Fantuz - $120K
Gable - $150K
Chick - $160K
Emanuel Davis - $125K
Not all
Literally all those guys are gone.  And Chapman draft pick basically takes Fantuz off table.
Chapman asking for way too much and to cave in would be setting a new 
“Bar”.   Cats should hold off.  

Users Online

100 Guests, 12 Users (17 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Onemoredork, Lyle B. Style, rshmglsky, Garney 26, TravelPat1, raymarkca, Grover, Iconic SR, FootbalYouBet, MadJack, DisplacedCatsFan, Google (AdSense) (4), Google (12), Alexa

Most Online Today: 162. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)