Grover

Ryan Bomben‏Verified account 
@Rbomben
Excited to be heading back to Montreal where it all began. Looking forward to meeting my new teammates and reuniting with old. Go Als!
7:53 AM - 4 May 2018

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

Grover

Ryan Bomben‏Verified account 
@Rbomben

Wanted to take the time to thank the City of Hamilton, fans, teammates and entire organization. First class organization filled with great people.     Thanks for 3 great years!
7:59 AM - 4 May 2018

Ticatsfan25

Welp.  I take everything I said back about this trade.  Ticats paid him a $70k bonus prior to trade, this was not a cap move.

For them to pay him that money and then trade him is rather crazy.  I'm confused now.

Lennywasout

Welp.  I take everything I said back about this trade.  Ticats paid him a $70k bonus prior to trade, this was not a cap move.

For them to pay him that money and then trade him is rather crazy.  I'm confused now.
They obviously really really wanted the first pick and felt they had a replacement for him on the line. I was shocked when they traded him and the only reason I could see was cap space.  I’m also confused. 
This new regime is either gonna be real good or a total disaster.  Time will tell.

Onemoredork

Welp.  I take everything I said back about this trade.  Ticats paid him a $70k bonus prior to trade, this was not a cap move.

For them to pay him that money and then trade him is rather crazy.  I'm confused now.
Was it paid out during the old power structure ? The moves of the past 48 hours are clearly ones by the new regime which might explain the discrepancy. 

safetyblitz

I think the bonus situation is causing people to lose sight of the fact that Bomben was still in the final year of his contract.

Bomben can still choose to sign wherever he wants for next year, and whether the Cats try to woo him back or not, they'll be dealing from a position of strength, having a further year of game experience for one of the young Canadian OL they've had waiting in the wings. The Cats have a number of guys who, while they haven't seen a ton of playing time, have been around the team long enough for Jones to make an informed decision about how ready they are to step up. Even *if* the team is hoping to get Siraco into the lineup sooner rather than later, he's not their only option.

This deal netted the Ticats the rights to a young Canadian receiver in Chapman with a ton of upside who Jones thinks is a good fit for the kind of offense he likes to run. Since he'd be on a rookie deal, the Cats expect a very team-friendly price/performance ratio. Fantuz's injury struggles aside, Jones is all about speed, and while Fantuz was the team's most highly regarded Canadian receiver, he didn't tick the "speed" box.

safetyblitz

Was it paid out during the old power structure ? The moves of the past 48 hours are clearly ones by the new regime which might explain the discrepancy.
Jones said the language in his contract granting him the last word on personnel was added when he signed his new deal with Scott Mitchell near the end of last year. It's extremely likely that Jones has been calling the shots in football ops since that deal was announced last December, and they delayed announcing "regime change" in the hopes that Austin would have found another job in the interim that would have allowed him to relinquish his VP role in a more face-saving way.

I think the current regime was hoping they would be able to get what they wanted out of the draft without giving up Bomben.

blackandgld

If what is being reported is true about the bonus the Cats made a trade about as bad as I can imagine.

Grover

I would imagine Bombens $70K bonus was paid in February when most players collect their bonuses that are in their contracts.
He is probably due another bonus for passing his physical the day before training camp like most other players have a bonus at that time written into their contracts.

Watching the draft on TSN, I noticed that every shot of the TiCats War room, Austin was not there.
Everyone was there but Austin, He is out!

safetyblitz

Watching the draft on TSN, I noticed that every shot of the TiCats War room
When they showed the blue team's war room, at first I was wondering who the old lady was, then realized it was Popp. :D

Palmer

Watching the draft on TSN, I noticed that every shot of the TiCats War room, Austin was not there.
Everyone was there but Austin, He is out!
I like Kent Austin and his competitive attitude, and hope he is able to stay in the CFL somewhere.  But to mangle the quote of a by-gone philospher: things may not get better when we change, but, in order to get better, we have to change.

Espo

Do we have any confirmation that the 70K bonus payout will go against this years cap for the cats?  or was it paid out in time to count against last year's?  

(forget when the cutoff is for that...)
Extraordinary claims require extraodinary proofs

ottawacat

Do we have any confirmation that the 70K bonus payout will go against this years cap for the cats?  or was it paid out in time to count against last year's?  

(forget when the cutoff is for that...)
Since, 1) the bonus was paid, we believe, in 2018 and 2) it relates to Bomben's contract for playing in 2018, not for past service, I'm pretty sure it would count against this year's cap.  This report also says it does:
http://3downnation.com/2018/05/04/ticats-paid-ryan-bomben-70000-bonuses-trading-report/

stevehvh

I think the bonus situation is causing people to lose sight of the fact that Bomben was still in the final year of his contract.

Bomben can still choose to sign wherever he wants for next year, and whether the Cats try to woo him back or not, they'll be dealing from a position of strength, having a further year of game experience for one of the young Canadian OL they've had waiting in the wings. The Cats have a number of guys who, while they haven't seen a ton of playing time, have been around the team long enough for Jones to make an informed decision about how ready they are to step up. Even *if* the team is hoping to get Siraco into the lineup sooner rather than later, he's not their only option.

This deal netted the Ticats the rights to a young Canadian receiver in Chapman with a ton of upside who Jones thinks is a good fit for the kind of offense he likes to run. Since he'd be on a rookie deal, the Cats expect a very team-friendly price/performance ratio. Fantuz's injury struggles aside, Jones is all about speed, and while Fantuz was the team's most highly regarded Canadian receiver, he didn't tick the "speed" bhappier
I think that is exactly right. 

I am sure the bonus counts against the 2018 cap. Bomben is entering his final contract year, and becomes a FA next Feb. When he was paid the bonus, it was part of his contract for this season. At the time it was paid (I assume this past Feb), the team had a few choices: pay it as required under his contract (which they did); cut him to avoid paying it (getting nothing in return); trade him before it was due, to avoid paying it (this assumes there was an acceptable deal on the table at that time-- evidently there was not).

So they fulfilled their contractual obligation when required, and made a subsequent decision to make a trade. I'm fine with that. 

The team is being restructured, evidently in ways the coach wants to see. Some people here think we weren't good enough even late last season. The changes being made may make those people happy. Some, like me, think we were getting pretty good late last season. I'm quite hopeful about this year.

It isn't fun seeing good players like Bomben leave. But I'm excited to see new blood like Chapman arrive.
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
- Hubert H. Humphrey

ExPat

Some people here think we weren't good enough even late last season. The changes being made may make those people happy. Some, like me, think we were getting pretty good late last season. I'm quite hopeful about this year.
Some people think the O-line, as a unit, was poor at the beginning of 2017 and was a major contributor to our terrible start.  And that it reached the level of adequate, or maybe even good, by the end of the season with changes at the tackle positions.  And that losing Bomben is a step backwards for the O-line as a unit, until we see how his replacement plays on a game-in, game-out basis.  And that the O-line is arguably the most important unit on the entire team, because if it is not playing well, there is no way to compensate for that regardless of how well any other position group plays.  And that all-star Canadians are tough to find and tough to replace - we had exactly one last year (Bomben).

I find the "last year of his contract" argument to be weak.  It's the CFL - anyone who wasn't a free agent this past winter is probably in the last year of his contract.  Should we also ditch Leonard? Kanneh?  Lawrence? Tracy? Filer? Stephen?  (Haven't actually checked their contract status - just using them as examples.)  Replace them all with backups and rookies?  I don't think anyone would have ranked Bomben as a big flight risk in 2019, as a local guy who had already re-signed here once.

Of course I may be missing something.  I hope Chapman lives up to expectations.

Users Online

97 Guests, 11 Users (16 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
ticat1, KevinRiley2, everyman, TravelPat1, Augustus67, SeaFiddle, hairyarm, Lyle B. Style, Oskie18, Bigshot, Google (AdSense) (5), Google (11)

Most Online Today: 189. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)