Ticatsfan25

Your team also picked up what is likely pick #10 in next year's draft. A very exciting crop according to most in the business.
True...but recall that we traded our 2nd round selection to EDM as part of a package for their 1st round this year, so unless I am mistaken HAM still only has one 2nd round pick next year.  This year we have an extra 1st round, 6th overall, but that player is likely 2-3 years away from being impactful (if at all a starter by then) and being paid as such.

I still see this in the very short term as a cap savings.  Maybe that's the naive side of me thinking they wouldnt make a trade like this without some sort of immediate player impact in return.  June Jones isn't going to be here for 5-6 years I don't think, he wants to win now.  Trading away all-star CDN OL and a roster player for draft picks plus moving up ONE spot in the draft without some sort of corresponding move to bring someone else to play today makes no sense to me from a short term winning strategy.  Could it be possible it is best for the long term if things remain as-is?  Maybe, but from all I've seen Jones is calling the shots re: personnel, and any moves are more than likely being made to appease him.

guelphcatsfan

My guess would be probably Landon Rice . Rice has been in the #6 slot now for 5 yrs . I'm thinking that he gets bumped up into the starting five as Bomben's replacement and one of the young guys behind him (Schram, Golding, Okafor ) or perhaps someone we draft tonight moves onto the roster as our regular second reserve backup as we usually dress 7 OL on the game day 44 man .

Here is how our new revamped O-Line could possibly look like this season....

Starters

LT - Tony Washington  
LG - Brandon Revenberg
C - Mike Filer
RG -Landon Rice
RT- Ryker Mathews

Reserves

C - Brett Golding
G - Braden Schram
G - Kay OKafor (pr)
OT- Vacant (Import) (rl or pr)
OL- possible unknown Draft pick(s) tonight ?

That's a pretty solid looking starting O-Line.  Would have preferred Bomben in the mix, but we shall see.

ExPat

I always think it's strange when people comment on the cap savings achieved when we unload a player who's likely playing for the league minimum.  Unless we decide to field a roster that's one-man short, we have to replace that salary with another player's (equal or greater) salary.

Bomben was likely a salary dump (since the only alternative is extremely poor negotiating).  But certainly not Robinson.  I assume the Als knew something about him and asked for him to be part of the deal.

Onemoredork

Missing out on a blue chip prospect, who may well be more than just a prospect, to hang onto Bomben, whom youre not even certain you can re-sign,  is timid and playing it safe. Teams dont get to the next level working that way.

Worse still it shows you have no faith in scouting or player development that Bomben could be replaced.

Lennywasout

Missing out on a blue chip prospect, who may well be more than just a prospect, to hang onto Bomben, whom youre not even certain you can re-sign,  is timid and playing it safe. Teams dont get to the next level working that way.

Worse still it shows you have no faith in scouting or player development that Bomben could be replaced.
Yep. What you said.

canadianfootballfan

I always think it's strange when people comment on the cap savings achieved when we unload a player who's likely playing for the league minimum.  Unless we decide to field a roster that's one-man short, we have to replace that salary with another player's (equal or greater) salary.

Bomben was likely a salary dump (since the only alternative is extremely poor negotiating).  But certainly not Robinson.  I assume the Als knew something about him and asked for him to be part of the deal.
Obviously the Als needed an Import WR, and asked for one during the negotiations.  Pretty simple.  They wouldn't have traded for a National OG or an Import WR if they didn't need them.

stevehvh

Missing out on a blue chip prospect, who may well be more than just a prospect, to hang onto Bomben, whom youre not even certain you can re-sign,  is timid and playing it safe. Teams dont get to the next level working that way.

Yep. What you said.
X3.
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
- Hubert H. Humphrey

Grover

According to Dunk's sources, the TiCats will take Chapman with the first pick.

http://3downnation.com/2018/05/03/ticats-set-take-receiver-mark-chapman-first-overall-cfl-draft/

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

HfxTC

Chapman is that shiny sports car that Reed could not afford.

Since the Als can't scout they are forced to give it up for quantity. Works out to Bomben, Robinson and Rhuterford for Chapman and a 2nd rounder in 2019. Both Bomben and Robinson have a year left on their contract... Terrible trade for a team rebuilding IMO.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.

Onemoredork

Chapman is that shiny sports car that Reed could not afford.

Who is getting all the money?

Ticatsfan25

I always think it's strange when people comment on the cap savings achieved when we unload a player who's likely playing for the league minimum.  Unless we decide to field a roster that's one-man short, we have to replace that salary with another player's (equal or greater) salary.

Bomben was likely a salary dump (since the only alternative is extremely poor negotiating).  But certainly not Robinson.  I assume the Als knew something about him and asked for him to be part of the deal.
Yep agree, league min gets replaced with league min because you need to fill that spot.  So if this comment was directed towards my recent cap savings comments then yep makes sense.  I was thinking more along the lines of we have to go from 75-46 and we just removed 2 roster players plus their salary and as of right now did not fill them with subsequent roster players.  Therefore that total savings can be used however they want, possibly spreading it across the remaining players, for bringing someone else in, or an upcoming trade.

Grover

I suggest the Cats have ample Cap space
all these players gone

Collaros - $540K
Bomben - $170K
Fantuz - $120K
Gable - $150K
Chick - $160K
Emanuel Davis - $125K

Slomojo2005

all these players gone

Collaros - $540K
Bomben - $170K
Fantuz - $120K
Gable - $150K
Chick - $160K
Emanuel Davis - $125K
Not all

Ticatsfan25

all these players gone

Collaros - $540K
Bomben - $170K
Fantuz - $120K
Gable - $150K
Chick - $160K
Emanuel Davis - $125K
Not all
Literally all those guys are gone.  And Chapman draft pick basically takes Fantuz off table.

SilverSurfer

Thank you Ryan for the memories in Hamilton as a Ti-Cat and your work in the community, all the best back in Montreal.

GO CATS GO!!

Users Online

71 Guests, 17 Users (6 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Grover, bobo82, yougottabekidding, Palmer, Lyle B. Style, Corey.the.tiger, xlnt, rhymes with orange, ticatbill, Holy Mackinaw, EastVanMark, DavidThompson, mike619, KJF, CFL in QC, SeaFiddle, Google (AdSense) (2), Google (4)

Most Online Today: 154. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)