Lennywasout

My post was not meant as an attack, only a suggestion to move to a country with questionable freedom of expression. Would make his life easier.

my home team

Quote from: "heapbag"
Quote from: "Lennywasout"
Quote from: "slimjim2"
If I was the Seahawks coach/management I would make it clear to Kaepernick that if we sign you,  there is no kneeling you stand for the national anthem and the flag.    Any of that crap and you are gone.
Save your protests when you are off duty in your own time.
Very harsh comments.  Maybe you should move to Turkey since your thought process would fit in perfectly with Erdogan's.  
The man did not break any criminal or employment laws , did he?

Life is too short to be so judgemental of another person.

Life is too short for ad hominem attacks as well.

I'm all for freedom of expression....however...

When you are being well paid by your employer, working in your employer's facility, wearing your employer's uniform and representing your employer's company to his customers and to the world, you need to show some respect for this and not wage your personal crusade on his dime and PR expense while dragging ALL others on the team and staff into the controversy, willing or not.

If you have a true issue, rent a hall on your own time and dollar, wear your civvies and represent only yourself.

I don't disagree with his "cause".

But, what Kaepernick did was a cheap and an easy way out.

P.S.....I don't go to a sporting event to witness politics....just a good game.

stevehvh

I remember going to movies when I was a little kid and the movies cost a dime (yes it was a long time ago) and they used to play God Save The Queen before the show. Everyone stood up and sang. A bit later they switched to O Canada. Then it petered out and stopped. They kept it up at sporting events. I've sometimes wondered how and why it is that certain events are considered suitable for this sort of display of patriotism and others aren't. Also why it is that it is considered an expectation that attendees (performers or spectators) participate.

I usually sing O Canada (not well) and usually the French version. That's just my choice.

Kaepernick has decided not to participate. I don't care for his choice in this, but I can't get too worked up about it.  I don't know how much worse it is than seeing players standing there during the anthem, chewing gum, fidgeting, looking around, evidently quite disinterested and bored. Agree with him or not, at least he has an idea he wants to express.
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
- Hubert H. Humphrey

safetyblitz

Quote from: "my home team"
When you are being well paid by your employer, working in your employer's facility, wearing your employer's uniform and representing your employer's company to his customers...

It's up to the employer. If they wanted to, they could have fired him on the spot. They didn't.

heapbag

Quote from: "safetyblitz"
When you are being well paid by your employer, working in your employer's facility, wearing your employer's uniform and representing your employer's company to his customers...

It's up to the employer. If they wanted to, they could have fired him on the spot. They didn't.

Because that would have been a Public Relations nightmare.  Remember this coincided with the Black Lives Matter movement.  Sports and politics have unfortunately melded.

heapbag

Quote from: "schmenger"
Some team owners have black balled Kaepernick for standing up for his beliefs. While some coaches and the almighty football brain trust don't believe he has anything left in his tank. I too believe you should be able to stand up for your rights regardless of whatever anyone else things. If you can not be true to yourself you have caved to the bullies and conformed to their way of thinking. I too would like to see Kaepernick wear the black and gold and continue his football career in the Hammer.  I believe he has lots of football left in the tank!

Except Kaepernick lost all credibility when he admitted he did not exercise his democratic rights by casting his vote.  He was a useful tool to the media, not to his profession.  For all this talk of what an "Austin" player is, do you feel that one that makes useless platitudes without the fortitude to exercise their democratic right is a useful fit to a team based "think before myself" sport?

Moot point, he isn't going to come here.  But I would expect better of you fans that feel that Kaepernick needs to absolve our collective sins in a country that accepted fugitive slaves into this country.

my home team

Quote from: "heapbag"
Quote from: "safetyblitz"

Because that would have been a Public Relations nightmare.  Remember this coincided with the Black Lives Matter movement.  Sports and politics have unfortunately melded.

I said previously here that I don't have a problem with his cause, just the way he did it.

Sure, stand up for what you believe in, but do so on your own and not hide behind your boss and HIS company.

Remember back in 2011 when Damian Goddard made a controversial tweet, while also making mention that he was affiliated with Sportsnet.

Yes, he has freedom of expression, but with it comes a responsibility to his employer if their name and reputation gets dragged into the argument, whether they agree with what the employee says or not.

Any PR problems created are not only an issue for the person tweeting but others as well.

Users Online

76 Guests, 3 Users (21 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Bayargonaut00, ExPat, Braleyneedstogo, Yahoo!, Google (20)

Most Online Today: 109. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)