FormerlyTurkish

Hate to say I told you so...but I told you so.   KA was fresh and new which carried them to the 2gc appearances.  Once the bloom was off the rose the room was ugly.  Hard headed KA is a my way or the higway guy who is contracted thru to 19 so he ran the team like a college team.  Complete control. 

To be fair to Caretaker with whom i have the utmost respect im guessing he had very little experience growing up with a hole coaches.  

guelphcatsfan

What I see as really really sad in this development is the amount of character damage fallout that Bob Young and the team will suffer by his absolutely disrespectful comment, labelling players cowards. Yes he's the Boss, but I surely can't be alone in thinking his choice to publically call his players cowards to quell the question of Kent Austins coaching and managing capabilities was also insulting to the many Cat fans who are of the opinion that the team would be better off moving ahead without Kent Austin. That remark and some others from him since, seems to be rudely telling Tiger Cat fans to shut up about Kent Austin.

Will his words cause a backfire effect. It's sure to show in upcoming player signings and next season as well.
I was really surprised by Bob's comments.  Not only calling his players cowards (the same guys who risk life and limb for our entertainment) but disrpespecting Drew.  

We know the team was way better without Austin on the sideline, we have a top heavy management so why sacrafice your credibility for him? 

FormerlyTurkish

I suspect the hefty contract has something to do with it.  

Lennywasout

I have a lot of respect for what Drew has done over the years not only reporting Ticat news but expanding to the entire CFL.  I DONT LIKE THIS PARTICULAR ARTICLE. It is nobody’s business what players think of the VP. Anonymous quotes are cowardly in this particular instance.  If players don’t want to negotiate contracts with Austin/Tillman then go to another team.
Austin relinquished coaching and will not coach in Hamilton again so why would players boycott this team.  Totally useless journalism and disappointing from Drew.
Austin/Timman have brought in some great talent to replace a lot of injured starters, late retirements and underperforming players.  
Austin here or not I’ve renewed my seats.  

smokeystover

Actually, aside from Drew trying to make this a bigger story than it is due to his poor relationship with Austin, this is not new news. Pretty well common knowledge, after losing Condell, Orlando, possibly Doc Levy, that Austin had outlived his shelf life as a coach. Players do turn even the greatest coaches out, witness Pat Burns, Mike Keenan etc in hockey. Whatever happened is no longer important, as Austin will never coach the TiCats again. He will try for BC or Montreal job, or go NCAA, and Cats will release him from his obligations and wish him well. If nothing comes up, he will help out in front office, but will have no role on the field, as the coaching job is  for Jones if he wants it. Austin assisting in head office, likely assisting Tillman,  not being the main point man, which is likely going to be the case, will not impact on our free agents or others.

I am a tad surprised by the choice of words by the Caretaker, as he is always politically correct and chooses his words and comments carefully. At the same time, as an owner, regardless if he feels Austin has screwed up this year, (despite past successes), he has to stand by his employee in light of anonymous comments alleged by Drew. To fail to do so would reflect poorly on the owner when it comes to future hirings, so in essence, Drew put the Caretaker between a rock and a hard place. That was not fair.

Personally, I saw no reason for this article to be published aside from Drew's ego. In my priority list, I put the Caretaker far ahead of Drew on the credibility level. I have enjoyed and appreciated the Caretaker's passion. As far as Drew, thanks for getting the Scratching post up and running etc, but time to go away. As for Austin, thanks for your services to date, and if you stay in a capacity other than a coach, be classy, and make the interests of the team be paramount. If you leave for other pastures, thank you for getting us through Guelph, and into 2 Grey Cups, but time moves on.

Crash

Good post Smokey.

mysecondname

What I see as really really sad in this development is the amount of character damage fallout that Bob Young and the team will suffer by his absolutely disrespectful comment, labelling players cowards. Yes he's the Boss, but I surely can't be alone in thinking his choice to publically call his players cowards to quell the question of Kent Austins coaching and managing capabilities was also insulting to the many Cat fans who are of the opinion that the team would be better off moving ahead without Kent Austin. That remark and some others from him since, seems to be rudely telling Tiger Cat fans to shut up about Kent Austin.

Will his words cause a backfire effect. It's sure to show in upcoming player signings and next season as well.
He wasn't calling anyone a coward for being critical of Kent Austin. He was calling him a coward for doing so anonymously to protect his own identity, while using another player's name (Banks) instead, hanging Speedy out to dry. Bob was right.

It was gutless of the player to feel free to name Speedy while insisting on hiding himself. I hope they figure out who it was and cut him.

It was third rate journalism by Drew not to see through this gambit and play along with it. No, they won't cut him off from access to the team, but I suspect he won't get any favours going forward. Once burnt, twice shy.
If you are suggesting I wrote Bob Y. called people a coward for being critical of K Austin, you misunderstoood. B Young name-called players cowards in an way that appears to be an intentional distraction from the real issue that was put forward; people*, including loyal TC fans, want Kent Austin gone. He's feeling the pressure and commented completely contrary to what most anonymous remarks normally draw in reply.

*people - I won't name people (their names are irrelevant)
**********Owning a drone does not make one a pilot**********

Hank01

Just want to make the point  BOB was not labelling all TiCat players cowards just the one's who want to hide . In the work place wherever it is unfair to make anonymous  complaints .You need to stand by remarks or don't make them publicly .

After some rational thought he is making a legitimate point . Show any workplace you would like to work at where people can just be anonymous and slander your name .

Crash

He wasn't calling anyone a coward for being critical of Kent Austin. He was calling him a coward for doing so anonymously to protect his own identity, while using another player's name (Banks) instead, hanging Speedy out to dry. Bob was right.

It was gutless of the player to feel free to name Speedy while insisting on hiding himself. I hope they figure out who it was and cut him.

It was third rate journalism by Drew not to see through this gambit and play along with it. No, they won't cut him off from access to the team, but I suspect he won't get any favours going forward. Once burnt, twice shy.
If you are suggesting I wrote Bob Y. called people a coward for being critical of K Austin, you misunderstoood. B Young name-called players cowards in an way that appears to be an intentional distraction from the real issue that was put forward; people*, including loyal TC fans, want Kent Austin gone. He's feeling the pressure and commented completely contrary to what most anonymous remarks normally draw in reply.

*people - I won't name people (their names are irrelevant)
The Fans wanting Kent Austin gone means absolutely nothing to Bob Youngs day.

If you want to join the fake boycotters that say you aren't gonna go to games because of this reason or that on a message board only to show up and buy a jersey so be it. Nobody is boycotting this team over Scott Mitchell or Kent Austin. If they win next year nobody will be talking about this.

(I meant "you" in the broader sense. Not you personally.) 

mysecondname

I think you're mistaken. In fact I know you're mistaken. Knowing the pulse of the fans is important to the business' success. You just won't find too many team owners anywhere you look who would tell their fan base that their opinion means absolutely nothing.

FormerlyTurkish

The fans opinion meant something in the whole Art Briles caper.

Crash

I think you're mistaken. In fact I know you're mistaken. Knowing the pulse of the fans is important to the business' success. You just won't find too many team owners anywhere you look who would tell their fan base that their opinion means absolutely nothing.
My point is ownership cares about winning...attendance... and profits. Kent Austin being the VP next year will not affect attendance. I promise you that.

FormerlyTurkish

I would agree.  Its the unintended consequences of his decisions and presence.  We should know if this is all bs soon when we can start signing FA..

Iconic SR

Bob, firmly in Austin's corner:

https://twitter.com/CaretakerBob/status/927569375355215872

Bold move Caretaker...  seems like a good FA strategy calling your players cowards without knowing which ones you're calling out....  
Very delicate situation here. Can't have the players dictating who is in the organization publicly although their play speaks volumes of what they think of him.
I was afraid that Scott or Bob would take this stance.
Personally I don't care who the GM/VP is. How true this is will be based on a couple things, but mostly if any of it actually comes true.
If JJ doesn't come back and Austin is here... heads will be scratched. If Banks and other FAs move on, same thing.
Still not a fan of how the players or Drew have handled this.
We have to keep in mind that the players who quit on their team (while still accepting  game cheques) and quit on their coach in Tigertown - are the same ones slagging Austin now. 

Obrigardo

I could go a nice long rant about how ridiculous our fan base is, but the majority of you are out to lunch roasting Kent Austin. Whoever this player was is a toolbox, never should you ever spread rumours about your teammates ... and if this is such a serious problem, don't go whining to the press and throwing people under the bus. Absolute hit piece by Drew and you guys are eating it up cus you're mad at the 0-8 start to the season still but I love how everyone fails to realize that Kent stepping down and hiring June Jones was the best decision made all season long, and Austin was the one who made it. If you guys all love June Jones so much, well you have Austin to thank that he's in town and by the sounds of it he's staying and has a great working relationship with Austin.

We've gone to two Grey Cups since 1999, both under the guidance of Austin and if it weren't for a block in the back penalty that drought would be long over by now.

I actually think the majority of our fan base outside this forum are more knowledgeable than most on here, and that's a sad sad statement.

Who was the guy who brought in Banks, Gable, Masoli, Bomben, Simoni, Tasker, Chop, Laurent, Dean, Leonard, Kanneh, Tracey ... we can talk Breaux and Harris who never came back, what about McGough who played great as a rookie this year? What about Saunders? Did you like what you saw out of Whitlock? How bout Castillo and Allen and Maher the year before? Simply if you're excited about this team moving forward, than you're excited about the team Austin has helped put together whether you want to admit it or not.

His coaching decisions became a negative for the team especially the lack of running game, I'm not saying he utilized all these guys properly on the field but he certainly as the VP had his hand in bringing all the talent to this city, including June Jones.

I for one would love to see Austin stick around as VP (which he's clearly going to) because he's proven time and time again he's able to field a quality team full of talented players. People need to remember he's not the coach anymore, VP is a vastly different role and one I think he's always excelled at more with the Cats.

Also if you watch that presser and come away thinking Austin is a terrible guy who tried to "sabotage" the season, well then I can't help you. To me, it seems like he bleeds black and gold like the rest of us, he truly wants to see the city rejoice in victory, and always has, but we are some of the most ungrateful fans in the CFL.
If the players he brought in are so good why has they're record been so bad

Users Online

88 Guests, 28 Users (13 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
mike2579, Corey.the.tiger, Sidney, alphamale111, 150GAGE, ExPat, bobo82, G Man, GOTC1, everyman, FootbalYouBet, PatLynch, Lucas Bellemare, JoeyT, Onemoredork, thirdnlong, Mightygoose, brihind88, djrobertson2017, oo DAWG oo, Iconic SR, brianjoxx, Slomojo2005, porter24, heapbag, Lennywasout, Yahoo!, Google (12)

Most Online Today: 161. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)