bobo82

I think a part that is missing here is the relationship and control over the coaches.   What would Steph Ptaszek say...
Unfortunately it seems it probably wouldn't matter what he says , because apparently no one listens to him anyways . Feel sorry for Ptaszek and the way he has been treated and marginalised by this team .
My guess is that he regrets more and more everyday that he left his cozy job at Mac to sign on with this crew .
15 GREY CUPS for HAMILTON BASED TEAMS

guelphcatsfan

It's amazing to me how many privileged people in positions of authority don't appreciate the power imbalance in their relationship with junior employees/colleagues etc.  

"I am critical of anyone who is willing to criticise publicly but not take ownership of their criticisms.  Don't care if it is FB and Twitter users hiding behind fake IDs or anyone else.   You are welcome to criticise but own your opinions."

Welcome to criticize?  really?  Give me a break - the guy who has control over your next pay cheque says you're welcome to criticize?  That's a farce, and it's a distraction from the main issue.  Attacking Drew (Sad how Bob criticizes Trump-like thinking but then personally attacks a member of the media a la Trump) and disrespecting his players is not the answer.  

longtimetcfan

I haven’t had a chance to read the first 5 pages of comments but my take is...

Though I appreciate management loyalty, I do question the stubborn, sometimes questionable moves by team management, the Art Briles situation being a prime example.

Management’s decision in the first place to hire him and then stick by and defend it for so along makes me question it’s competence. Only after an unbelievable blowback from external forces (ie, the TiCat fans in particular) did the team see the error of it’s ways and reverse it hiring decision. Common sense and decency should have nixed the idea in the first place, not the overwhelming feedback of fans. The possible future signing of QB Manziel is another “rumour/decision” that leaves me scratching my head and questions management’s decision making.

If Mr. Austin is indeed a disruptive influence and will adversely affect player signings for next season, for the benefit of the team and fan loyalty, IMO, he would need to go. Otherwise, if some player’s feelings are indeed true per the article, existing free agents will leave and word would spread across the League, if not already, negatively affecting other possible free agents signings.

Again, loyalty is admirable but only up to a point and not if it has a negative overall affect on team fortunes.

safetyblitz

Welcome to criticize?  really?  Give me a break - the guy who has control over your next pay cheque says you're welcome to criticize?
Relevant, especially at the 2 minute mark:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tXtPygIL5E

ottawacat

I see, next day, that the "players slam Kent" article is still available online @ thespec.com .  But, it's been edited, removing this sentence from the original:
“Speedy has been telling everybody that he won’t re-sign if Kent is still around in any capacity,” one player said. “I think some other guys are in the same boat.”

smogmonster

From my perspective there seems to be a big imposing barrier between upper management and the "operational" side of this team.  Up top you have Bob, Kent, Scott, Eric et al who wish to portray that they have all the knowledge necessary to properly run, manage, fund and equip a team for success.  Then there are the players and staff that actually prepare for day to day stuff - practices, games, play book, handling injuries, etc.  Clearly this hard line between the groups has put the high up staff out of touch with the troops.  For perspective, imagine how Jeremiah and Zach must feel with the distraction of Manziel right now.  The management is closing ranks to support themselves and tuning out the message sent regarding Kent and only focusing on the delivery method.

As long as there is a basic distrust among players to either stay or come play in Hamilton then our losing ways will continue.  Keeping June Jones and fleshing out the coaching staff as he sees fit will help but their must be better relationships, understanding and communication between players and management to make Hamilton a desirable place to come play.  Kent dismisses the players' emotions when it comes to releasing guys and says it's just business but guys like C.J. gave it their all for this team for years and just when he became effective in a new scheme he is let go?  That has got to send a terrible feeling through the locker room.  On the other side, player salaries and potential in up and comers like Green must be effectively integrated into the team especially in the salary cap era.

My point is a lack of communication, trust and cohesiveness is killing the potential in this team right now.  We are hearing that loud and clear from both sides.  It is up to the management of this team to make it right!  Don't publicly call your players cowards, address it in a team meeting with all players and personnel there including Bob.  And don't hide behind anonymity in the press to put a knife in your former coach's back.  An effective old saying is "praise in public, punish in private".  Management must make the driving point that every decision made is for the betterment of the team including the fact that the current cap will make some very hard choices inevitable.  Show empathy.  Players must know that their concerns will be heard and considered.  Successful managers consider all options no matter how difficult, hear all input and make the right decisions with the team's success as paramount. 
Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle

mysecondname

Welcome to criticize?  really?  Give me a break - the guy who has control over your next pay cheque says you're welcome to criticize?
Relevant, especially at the 2 minute mark:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tXtPygIL5E

:) Yes, they all were afforded the opportunity to directly speak their mind alright.
**********Owning a drone does not make one a pilot**********

Lennywasout

From my perspective there seems to be a big imposing barrier between upper management and the "operational" side of this team.  Up top you have Bob, Kent, Scott, Eric et al who wish to portray that they have all the knowledge necessary to properly run, manage, fund and equip a team for success.  Then there are the players and staff that actually prepare for day to day stuff - practices, games, play book, handling injuries, etc.  Clearly this hard line between the groups has put the high up staff out of touch with the troops.  For perspective, imagine how Jeremiah and Zach must feel with the distraction of Manziel right now.  The management is closing ranks to support themselves and tuning out the message sent regarding Kent and only focusing on the delivery method.

As long as there is a basic distrust among players to either stay or come play in Hamilton then our losing ways will continue.  Keeping June Jones and fleshing out the coaching staff as he sees fit will help but their must be better relationships, understanding and communication between players and management to make Hamilton a desirable place to come play.  Kent dismisses the players' emotions when it comes to releasing guys and says it's just business but guys like C.J. gave it their all for this team for years and just when he became effective in a new scheme he is let go?  That has got to send a terrible feeling through the locker room.  On the other side, player salaries and potential in up and comers like Green must be effectively integrated into the team especially in the salary cap era.

My point is a lack of communication, trust and cohesiveness is killing the potential in this team right now.  We are hearing that loud and clear from both sides.  It is up to the management of this team to make it right!  Don't publicly call your players cowards, address it in a team meeting with all players and personnel there including Bob.  And don't hide behind anonymity in the press to put a knife in your former coach's back.  An effective old saying is "praise in public, punish in private".  Management must make the driving point that every decision made is for the betterment of the team including the fact that the current cap will make some very hard choices inevitable.  Show empathy.  Players must know that their concerns will be heard and considered.  Successful managers consider all options no matter how difficult, hear all input and make the right decisions with the team's success as paramount.
But in yesterday’s presser video didn’t Austin say they ALL meet as a team (including Jones) to discuss personnel ?  Decisions are not made in isolation. Even Jones has said several times during the season he had met with management to discuss players.  
I think all this stuff about management is bush league crap.  I would never have put up with anonymous  complaints when I was working.  Go through the channels available or find another employer you’re happy with.  Not everything is a democracy....especially in sports..

Hank01

At least BOB says it and wears it . Nothing against Drew but he should interview and release articles with people who will go on the record . This is yellow journalism by Drew and he should know better . If your a player be big enough to put your name on it or be quiet and move on .

Who here would like to have an employee spread rumours without facts or transparency ? 

I have a friend who says he doesn't like working with Drew . Is this a fair statement  to Drew . Think about it ? 

What does this have to do with art Briles ?

Only criticism of of the Caretaker  is the Colin Kapernick example . It is not the same the other is about politics in the workplace which in any workplace I know of is not allowed .The caretaker actually broke the rules of the chat site .

Leave politics out of sports please .

ExPat

Steve Milton adds his commentary to the discussion, including Scott Mitchell's perspective.

Milton: Organization to be reviewed but bet on Austin return

He backs up Drew Edwards, and offers some advice to the Ticats organization:

On Monday team owner Bob Young took to Twitter and characterized the complaining players as ‘cowardly’, and Edwards as a ‘naïve journalist.’ He also said there were only one or two players.

Well, our first response was: be careful with adjectives. In cyberspace, they’re a leading cause of harm. You shouldn’t question any of your employees’ bravery, the brutally hard-working Edwards is the farthest thing from ‘naïve’ and there were more than one or two players involved.  Not that it needs confirmation, but the other half of the Spec’s two-man football bureau has been privy to a number of similar conversations and opinions from players. They were long-harboured and heart-felt and, actually, some were angrier than eventually portrayed in print.

So it’s probably best not for management to gloss over the complaints, and the support they’ve received from the hard-core fans who populate Twitter, blogs and chat rooms. For one thing, they represent some percentage of the market into which the Ticats’ business side must venture to sell tickets for 2018.

-Hammer-

Here's my take on it

Players only sound off to the media when they are frustrated with their current situation and they only do so anonymously because they are either guilty of something or their organization won't tolerate the media knowing things about it. In either case, there is a concern that serious and real repercussions will happen.

I am not a fan of players doing this anonymously, but I understand it. Realistically if your position is he goes or I go, then what do you really have to lose by being upfront publicly to management about it. Worst case scenario is that you go and the organization says bad things about you to others. Far worse though is going to the media to air out grievances, as no organization appreciates that. That said, most of the time, this stuff gets swept aside if you are a proven talent. 2nd chances in Football are far more often given to the top performers. That said, I completely understand a borderline player being blackballed for this kind of thing. All teams talk with each other, and better to pick another borderline player without off field issues, especially if he sounds off to the media.

Now that all said, the bigger issue though is why players are doing this? It is no stretch to see the root cause. Management in the Ti-Cats is a dumpster fire right now, and no one has been held to task. Players aren't going to go to the media if the team is winning, or feel that their input doesn't fall on deaf ears. This isn't Jim Harbaugh and the 49ers, where he still produced a .500 record after a Super Bowl appearance. Here is a list of issues that fall on management directly.

• We've lost two outstanding coordinators in short order (which players have said operated as buffers), plus a line coach.
  • We started the season with clear personnel issues. A rookie import O.Lineman, a ravaged receiver corps and a pourus secondary.
  • We attempted to hire Art Briles and required the league to step in and smarten up the organization to the hiring after a massive backlash from both fans and people in the US. We then had a CEO after the team admitted was a mistake, basically undermined the apology for making that mistake on the radio.
  • We effectively promoted an 0-8 head coach into management. A coach who has been fined both striking an official in anger, bumping another player and threw his QB under the bus.
  • We continue to receive mixed messages both from the team and the media concerning pursuing Johnny Manziel. A player who has had an atrocious pro career and a slew of off field issues.
  • We had one of the most lackluster off-seasons in recent memory. The only free agent signing made was Abdul Kaneh. https://www.cfl.ca/fa17/ one FA signed from another team.

Now you have several players sounding off to the media, and if they are doing so privately you have to wonder both about the culture of the organization and how the org is evaluating the character of players. If the team didn't have these issues, I'd be 100% behind the team saying to these players, don't let the door hit you on the way out. However, at this point they are shooting the messenger. After turning a Grey Cup contender into a basement dweller in the span of two seasons, and failing to make the playoffs in a very weak East division, how can not a single person in management not pay the piper?

my home team

"We effectively promoted an 0-8 head coach into management."

It was part of Kent Austin's job description from the beginning, he was simply giving up coaching to devote more time to one of the other two departments he's responsible for...

smogmonster

"I think all this stuff about management is bush league crap.  I would never have put up with anonymous  complaints when I was working.  Go through the channels available or find another employer you’re happy with.  Not everything is a democracy....especially in sports.."

Bush league crap?  Please explain...  This team's hierarchy has turned a potential east division  winner into a club that couldn't even qualify for the playoffs.  Our newest member in the front office had to fire himself, take an executive position and get out of the faces of his own players. 

So you wouldn't put up with anonymous complaints?  So I guess the answer is to ignore the concerns of those below you and lets the guns blaze?  Managers do that at their own and their company's peril. By having our best free agents find another employer they are happy with destroys the team for years to come.  Loyalty and hard work is cultivated by mutual respect, NOT by ruling with an iron fist as has been the case here for the first eight games.

Those that put the team's results in such a tenuous position must be held accountable for their actions or lack thereof. 

my home team

"threw his QB under the bus."

And he's the first and only head coach to ever do that??

smogmonster

"We effectively promoted an 0-8 head coach into management."

It was part of Kent Austin's job description from the beginning, he was simply giving up coaching to devote more time to one of the other two departments he's responsible for...
But the fact that he recognized that he himself had to go mid-season says it all.  Changes with coaching staff halfway through a season usually end with disaster.  It reflects very poorly on Kent and very well on June that the huge turn around has been attributed to the new coach.  The players play for June.  They didn't for Kent.  There must be a reason.

Users Online

60 Guests, 0 Users (14 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Google (13), Baidu

Most Online Today: 118. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)