ExPat

Here's a bunch of speculation from me.  I have no way of knowing if any of it is true, but none of it is inconsistent with Drew's article and the subsequent fallout.  I will also note up front that I have supported Kent on this forum, even to the point of being accused of being related to him.

1) Drew sees his job as to report on the team and organization, both good and bad.  He has never shied away from reporting off-field issues - much to the chagrin of some.

2) He knows this article will not exactly win him friends among the brass, but believed the story to be important so he ran with it despite the professional risks.

3) If there is any truth to the story then it is newsworthy and will affect our ability to improve in 2018.  As a fan, I am interested to know about these things, even if I can't do anything about it.  To me it's way more useful than the endless speculation on this chatboard.

4) The ~5 players who spoke with Drew are probably veterans, as a good relationship with the reporter is required for them to trust him to protect his sources.

5) As someone who spends a lot of time around the team, Drew may have seen signs of this sentiment throughout the year.  If so he arguably showed restraint in waiting until the season ended to report on it.

6) This narrative is consistent with numerous player quotes (attributed) we have seen about how things improved once Coach Jones took over.

7) It may also explain why our free agency period was so anemic earlier this year.  We lost a bunch of players, re-signed a handful, and added only one proven veteran from another team.  Every other team added more players than we did.  Surely that outflow of players contributed to our results this year.

8.  I would discount the statements about sabotage.  Players may be too close to their teammates to see the bigger picture about why trades happen.

9)  If some players truly have such strong feelings about Austin, it does make sense to me that they don't want to be part of an organization he runs, even if he doesn't have day-to-day control on the field.  If I hated my boss and she became my boss' boss, that may still be too close for my comfort.

10)  Even if all of the above is true, I still don't question Kent's intentions or motivations.  He just might rub some people the wrong way.

11) I fully expect the team brass to have each others' backs.  They are the ones who work closely together, and by the very nature of pro football they tend to see all players as being expendable.

Obrigardo

I have a lot of respect for what Drew has done over the years not only reporting Ticat news but expanding to the entire CFL.  I DONT LIKE THIS PARTICULAR ARTICLE. It is nobody’s business what players think of the VP. Anonymous quotes are cowardly in this particular instance.  If players don’t want to negotiate contracts with Austin/Tillman then go to another team.
Austin relinquished coaching and will not coach in Hamilton again so why would players boycott this team.  Totally useless journalism and disappointing from Drew.
Austin/Timman have brought in some great talent to replace a lot of injured starters, late retirements and underperforming players.  
Austin here or not I’ve renewed my seats.  
Edwards is suposed  to be a sports writer not a gossip columnist

letsgoticats

Here's a bunch of speculation from me.  I have no way of knowing if any of it is true, but none of it is inconsistent with Drew's article and the subsequent fallout.  I will also note up front that I have supported Kent on this forum, even to the point of being accused of being related to him.

1) Drew sees his job as to report on the team and organization, both good and bad.  He has never shied away from reporting off-field issues - much to the chagrin of some.

2) He knows this article will not exactly win him friends among the brass, but believed the story to be important so he ran with it despite the professional risks.
I agree with everything you said here ExPat.  Just to speculate a little more, the Edwards-Austin relationship has always seemed rocky.  From what I've seen, Kent Austin has constantly tried to belittle and embarrass Drew Edwards, when Drew is just trying to do his job. Perhaps a little bit of courtesy in the past from Austin may have led to Drew to be a little more friendly with his reporting.  

letsgoticats

The Fans wanting Kent Austin gone means absolutely nothing to Bob Youngs day.

I think you're mistaken. In fact I know you're mistaken. Knowing the pulse of the fans is important to the business' success. You just won't find too many team owners anywhere you look who would tell their fan base that their opinion means absolutely nothing.
My point is ownership cares about winning...attendance... and profits. Kent Austin being the VP next year will not affect attendance. I promise you that.
I'd disagree with that.  Keeping around the same front office that put together a terrible football, tried to hire a disgraced football coach, and can't seem to get out of their own way when dealing with the media will definitely drive some people away.  People in my group have already bailed for next year.  

Caretaker

Bob, firmly in Austin's corner:
https://twitter.com/CaretakerBob/status/927569375355215872
Bold move Caretaker...  seems like a good FA strategy calling your players cowards without knowing which ones you're calling out....  
I am firmly in Kent's corner.  Because I am critical of anyone who is willing to criticise publicly but not take ownership of their criticisms.  Don't care if it is FB and Twitter users hiding behind fake IDs or anyone else.   You are welcome to criticise but own your opinions.

Our 2017 season was a mess.   We did not recognize the problems we had in the second half of 2016 and we did not correct them in the off season.   We now know the problems and we are half way to addressing them.

But that is not the point.  The point is that Drew Edwards of 3DownNation.com allowed some unhappy players to use his podium to attack a former head coach.  

"Unnamed sources" is almost always bad.  Whether it is Trump quoting anonymous "experts" who support him over the real experts, or well-intentioned critics who think it is the only way to get their story out without retribution, the lack of transparency and accountability of unnamed sources almost always ends badly for all concerned.

You are welcome to criticise publicly, it is a free country.  Just be a grown-up and take ownership.   You will probably have to deal with a critical response to your criticisms.  But that is just the cost of being a grown-up with the right to criticise.

And to be very clear - I am not upset at, and can work with, any of the named players in Drew's article.  Or any of our players quoted by name elsewhere who might have criticised their coach, their team-mates, or the team's caretaker.  I can deal with criticism if I know who I'm dealing with. 

For context think about Colin Kaepernick.  You don't have to like either his cause or the manner he chose to protest.  But you have to admire his willingness to do it on national TV.  He may have foregone tens of millions of dollars in future salary.  You can call him foolish for passing up on the money and sponsorships if you like.   But you have to admire the strength of his convictions and his willingness to suffer criticism for those convictions.

Grover

Bold move Caretaker...  seems like a good FA strategy calling your players cowards without knowing which ones you're calling out....  
I am firmly in Kent's corner.  Because I am critical of anyone who is willing to criticise publicly but not take ownership of their criticisms.  Don't care if it is FB and Twitter users hiding behind fake IDs or anyone else.   You are welcome to criticise but own your opinions.

Our 2017 season was a mess.   We did not recognize the problems we had in the second half of 2016 and we did not correct them in the off season.   We now know the problems and we are half way to addressing them.

But that is not the point.  The point is that Drew Edwards of 3DownNation.com allowed some unhappy players to use his podium to attack a former head coach.  

"Unnamed sources" is almost always bad.  Whether it is Trump quoting anonymous "experts" who support him over the real experts, or well-intentioned critics who think it is the only way to get their story out without retribution, the lack of transparency and accountability of unnamed sources almost always ends badly for all concerned.

You are welcome to criticise publicly, it is a free country.  Just be a grown-up and take ownership.   You will probably have to deal with a critical response to your criticisms.  But that is just the cost of being a grown-up with the right to criticise.

And to be very clear - I am not upset at, and can work with, any of the named players in Drew's article.  Or any of our players quoted by name elsewhere who might have criticised their coach, their team-mates, or the team's caretaker.  I can deal with criticism if I know who I'm dealing with.  

For context think about Colin Kaepernick.  You don't have to like either his cause or the manner he chose to protest.  But you have to admire his willingness to do it on national TV.  He may have foregone tens of millions of dollars in future salary.  You can call him foolish for passing up on the money and sponsorships if you like.   But you have to admire the strength of his convictions and his willingness to suffer criticism for those convictions.
I agree Bob and thankyou for standing up!
There are very few people as dedicated to the team as yourself , Scott and Kent

ZOMOMYGODZ!! :o, Caretaker mentioned Colin Kaepernick!!!! 
We are signing Colin Kaepernick!!!! :o 

Really, My Humble Opinion on this is,

THE FIRST RULE IN SPORTS IS

WHAT HAPPENS OR IS SAID IN THE LOCKER ROOM, STAYS IN THE LOCKER ROOM!

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

Espo

To label someone a coward for letting his feeling known is not a coward. It is obvious that the  player would have been fired for being public with his thoughts. Thus he remains anonymous.
The more this sinks in the more i will agree with some earlier posters that the Caretakers comments do not sit well with me.
I get it that the management group does not appreciate this getting out in public but to me this is BULLYING calling people derogatory names while being in the position of power that can not be stood up to without fear of financial consequences/fired.

Poor optics from my seat.
Was going to rebut with what I assumed Bob's thought process was here, and how its hardly bullying to expect people to stand behind their opinion or shut the **** up, as it's hardly fair to be able to anonymously tarnish someone else's image while keeping your own clean.  

(and then I didn't have to assume any more as I think his post covers it pretty well.)  

Still think Bob's tweets, despite being justifiable and in the right, were a bad PR move with free agency coming coming up in a few months. 

Drew's article was not only irresponsible, but less effective than it could have been.  The anonymous quote regarding Banks sums it all up nicely.  

A:  not fair to Banks, who clearly didn't want to go on the record about it. 
B:  would have been FAR more sensational had he been referred to as "a star player on an expiring contract" 

Extraordinary claims require extraodinary proofs

hendy77

Kent Austin clearly out-lived his shelf life as a Head Coach here in the Hammer.

But, that doesn't mean he is no longer a good "football man". 

The player's concerns are legit, but should no longer hold any value to their future employment with this team.

Player's salaries in the CFL are for the most part, very comparable across the board, position to position. With our low salary cap, it almost like a league wide sliding scale exists for OL, DB's etc. and whether you are a National or International.

As a player, I would be more inclined to sign with a team that plays in front of a packed house of crazy fans every night. I would be more inclined to play for a coach like June Jones who appears to be held in very high regard by the current players. I would be more inclined to have access to they greatest facilities of any team in the entire league. They are second to none.

The VP of Football Operations would have very little to do with my decision, once the ink is dry on my contract.

Legs Feed the Wolf!

schmenger

I don't agree Hendy77. Austin was the architect of the team misfortune when he could not lure any 
more than one free agent to the Hammer. The same person who had the players quit on him during the Calgary game. His failure to recognize you have to run the ball and yes you should establish a run game. The same person who lost his assistant coaches who were the buffers for his arrogant and abusive coaching ways. The same guy who thought he was better than everyone with his sarcastic comments during press conferences. June Jones is a breath of fresh air and a great football mind. Austin has had a sub par coaching record his entire career.    

Grover

Louis Butko
@TSN_LouisB
1h1 hour ago
Overlooked with the Kent Austin stuff today... but he said he had been in contact with the league "four days ago" and He's still waiting on a update RE: Johnny Manziel's progress on his league's "certain conditions" that needed to be met. #CFL #Ticats

Despite the fustercluck of today, the business of the team continues on.  8)

mysecondname

I am firmly in Kent's corner.  Because I am critical of anyone who is willing to criticise publicly but not take ownership of their criticisms.  Don't care if it is FB and Twitter users hiding behind fake IDs or anyone else.   You are welcome to criticise but own your opinions...........

........For context think about Colin Kaepernick.  You don't have to like either his cause or the manner he chose to protest.  But you have to admire his willingness to do it on national TV.  He may have foregone tens of millions of dollars in future salary.  You can call him foolish for passing up on the money and sponsorships if you like.   But you have to admire the strength of his convictions and his willingness to suffer criticism for those convictions.
Clearly the unnamed players who spoke were damned if they did and damned if they don't. Just as when Colin Kaepernik took a stand for the inequality issues facing blacks in America. His detractors just like those opposing these anonymous TiCat voices, simply blew smoke over the cause, ignored it and proceeded with a mission to only attack the messenger. It doesn't matter what excuse one uses to try to dismiss the real issue, the fact is there is a bigger problem to be addressed other than insulting just the messenger. Two disgruntled voices don't get the problem or differences solved by flinging insults in discord. Staff mutter when they sense injustice. That's all what a couple of TiCat players did. Unprofessional? Yes. But so too, it appears, was managements reaction.

Kaeperniks lost income is directly as a result of the belief of hypocrites, disbelievers, mob mentality and dare I say overzealous patriots and of course political agandas, more than because of the strength of his convictions. He simply made a strong statement and then went back to work. Admire him? No. Was he foolish? Yes. But, no more foolish than the voices of those that refuse to admit a problem exists. In other words Kaepernik was bullied to death for speaking publically. Had these TiCats not spoken in anonymity, I don't believe, for a second they wouldn't face unreasonable repercussion. 
**********Owning a drone does not make one a pilot**********

Espo

Kaeperniks lost income is directly as a result of the belief of hypocrites, disbelievers, mob mentality and dare I say overzealous patriots and of course political agandas, more than because of the strength of his convictions. He simply made a strong statement and then went back to work. Admire him? No. Was he foolish? Yes. But, no more foolish than the voices of those that refuse to admit a problem exists. In other words Kaepernik was bullied to death for speaking publically. Had these TiCats not spoken in anonymity, I don't believe, for a second they wouldn't face unreasonable repercussion.
A:  lets please not buddy this with the Kaepernik/kneeling issue.  There's plenty of example right here.

B:  How is any of that bullying?  by that logic, fans not coming to games because they disagree with a hiring/signing/trade is bullying.  

Crash

Good post by caretaker btw.

Crash

The Fans wanting Kent Austin gone means absolutely nothing to Bob Youngs day.

I think you're mistaken. In fact I know you're mistaken. Knowing the pulse of the fans is important to the business' success. You just won't find too many team owners anywhere you look who would tell their fan base that their opinion means absolutely nothing.
My point is ownership cares about winning...attendance... and profits. Kent Austin being the VP next year will not affect attendance. I promise you that.
I'd disagree with that.  Keeping around the same front office that put together a terrible football, tried to hire a disgraced football coach, and can't seem to get out of their own way when dealing with the media will definitely drive some people away.  People in my group have already bailed for next year.  
Losing will drive people away.
There's 14 people in my group. 4 are not coming back and it's not because of Art Briles or some silly boycott while standing on their soapbox. They don't even know who art Briles is. They also don't care that Kent Austin is the VP. They're just tired of losing and mediocre football.

I filled all 4 tickets with other friends/couples with 1 text message. There's a pool of fans. Not just the ones going to the games now.

Don't twist my point though. I said Kent Austin being the VP won't affect attendance. I didn't say the product on the field won't affect attendance. Big difference. If Kent fails to help assemble a winning team than attendance will suffer. But if they resign Jones and key players and make a run next year with Kent in place nobody will remember this article.

FormerlyTurkish

I think a part that is missing here is the relationship and control over the coaches.   What would Steph Ptaszek say...

Users Online

59 Guests, 1 User (7 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Sidney, Google (7)

Most Online Today: 118. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)