pw13

Sure looks as if both Mitchell and Austin will be back next year. Not what I'd do if I were owner, but Caretaker is allowed to spend his money as he sees fit. 

SteelCitySteve

I don't know whose to blame, or what has gone wrong with this organization. Since '99, it seems like there was a slow build to go from perennial basement dwellers to Class of the league the last 2-3 years. It culminated with Austin's arrival, on and off the field, it seemed as though he brought the standard for the organization up a level. I always felt like Austin had a plan, a vision, a direction.

If all the stories are true, then maybe its a case of what made him successful, was also his downfall. A hard-driving, tell it like it is, no nonsense style can get results, but it also grows tiresome for those that don't agree with that philosophy.

Austin is a great talent evaluator and he brought in plenty of suburb players. Perhaps he isn't a great people person, but I think he brings plenty to the table.  As another poster said, he removed himself as coach already. Players and people vent, its understandable and its ok, it shows people care and want to win. I'd rather have a little anger then indifference.

Leave Austin upstairs as a scout or whatever you want to call it. He doesn't have to interact with the players, but imo he can still provide tremendous value to the organization. He is an asset.

Crash

Here's how I feel after Kent's response.

- Kent and Drew can't stand each other, it' been known for a long time but you can tell he responds to Milton respectfully and with some thought, but with Drew he wants no part of him.

- 6 players (assuming it was 6) does not make an entire roster. If the key players (Tasker, Masoli, Banks, and include June Jones) aren't back than there's definitely some truth to this. If the majority of those players are back then this was nothing more than Drew trying to get a headline. Interesting though that Banks has not refuted or made any comments.

- Kent does care for this team and organization. I think the way he's been treated by Drew and many of the fans is disappointing - the mob mentality isn't the way this fanbase should be seen and not what our owner deserves. (Reminding everyone this owner saved our franchise). People wanted Kent out as coach, it happened. it seems many wont rest until he literally is shown the door, and yes they are forgetting the amount of good he has done for this city.

- Collaros wont be here. Kent had a chance to at least lie and say he expects to see him in camp, and he didn't even do that.

I give Kent full credit for taking those questions head on, and keeping his cool with Drew.

bobo82

Isn't it kinda nice to have a new controversy?  I'm certainly beyond tired of the last one and yet it already looks like we'll be as split on this new one as we continue to be on QBs.  And, looking ahead, it's pretty much a guarantee we'll have another one coming up in a matter just over 3 weeks or, who knows, maybe much sooner than that if the club chooses to act, on that month end deadline, prior to the Grey Cup blackout period for unrelated announcements by CFL teams.
Yup , let the off season shenanigans begin . I'm not sure exactly where it will lead to or how it will eventually end up BUT one thing I think I know for sure and that is that this off season is probably going to shape up either for hopefully the better or not so hopefully for the worse , depending on what  key certain decisions are made in signing our FA's , our HC and at the QB position . One thing is for sure though and that is an off season promising to be a wild ride like no others that we have seen around these parts in quite some time .

Lots of unanswered questions in lots of unanswered positions indeed as to what direction this team will take going into next season and beyond . Hopefully the right decisions will be made and we the fans can actually get back to watching some winning football from this team once again .
15 GREY CUPS for HAMILTON BASED TEAMS

bobo82

It seems like The "Caretaker" has taken a page out of that guy with the goofy hairdo who will remain nameless on here who is apparently the so called POTUS and taken to Twitter to go on a rampage on this subject . 

Incredibly Bob in one of his tweets actually stated that Austin could very well be arguably "One of the most successful Head Coaches in CFL history " 

LOL !!! Really Bob ?? Seriously ?? I guess you've never heard of the likes of Hugh Campbell , Wally Buono , Don Matthews , Ralph Sazio , Bud Grant , John Hufnagel...........just to name a few of some of the REAL NEWS not FAKE NEWS most successful Head Coaches in CFL history ......Austin well I grant you has had some success in his CFL Coaching career he isn't even close , not by a long shot to ever being considered to even being remotely close to being in the conversation when it comes to the topic of best or most successful HC of all time in the history of this league .

Here is the link from who else but Austin's good buddy D . Edwards over at 3DN..........

http://3downnation.com/2017/11/06/ticats-owner-bob-young-voices-support-kent-austin-wake-player-complaints/

Crash

How long before the team cuts off access to Drew?

letsgoticats

It seems like The "Caretaker" has taken a page out of that guy with the goofy hairdo who will remain nameless on here who is apparently the so called POTUS and taken to Twitter to go on a rampage on this subject .

Incredibly Bob in one of his tweets actually stated that Austin could very well be arguably "One of the most successful Head Coaches in CFL history "

LOL !!! Really Bob ?? Seriously ?? I guess you've never heard of the likes of Hugh Campbell , Wally Buono , Don Matthews , Ralph Sazio , Bud Grant , John Hufnagel...........just to name a few of some of the REAL NEWS not FAKE NEWS most successful Head Coaches in CFL history ......Austin well I grant you has had some success in his CFL Coaching career he isn't even close , not by a long shot to ever being considered to even being remotely close to being in the conversation when it comes to the topic of best or most successful HC of all time in the history of this league .

Here is the link from who else but Austin's good buddy D . Edwards over at 3DN..........

http://3downnation.com/2017/11/06/ticats-owner-bob-young-voices-support-kent-austin-wake-player-complaints/
Bob calling Kent one of the most successful coaches in CFL history was hilarious.   Results wise, there hasn't been much improvement in the regular season.  2 Grey Cup appearances in an incredibly weak division, 0 wins.  

Austins 5 years in Hamilton:  42-48 (June Jones is responsible for 6 of the coaching wins)

Ticats record in the 5 years prior to Austin: 35-55

stevehvh

Here's how I feel after Kent's response.

- Kent and Drew can't stand each other, it' been known for a long time but you can tell he responds to Milton respectfully and with some thought, but with Drew he wants no part of him.

- 6 players (assuming it was 6) does not make an entire roster. If the key players (Tasker, Masoli, Banks, and include June Jones) aren't back than there's definitely some truth to this. If the majority of those players are back then this was nothing more than Drew trying to get a headline. Interesting though that Banks has not refuted or made any comments.

- Kent does care for this team and organization. I think the way he's been treated by Drew and many of the fans is disappointing - the mob mentality isn't the way this fanbase should be seen and not what our owner deserves. (Reminding everyone this owner saved our franchise). People wanted Kent out as coach, it happened. it seems many wont rest until he literally is shown the door, and yes they are forgetting the amount of good he has done for this city.

- Collaros wont be here. Kent had a chance to at least lie and say he expects to see him in camp, and he didn't even do that.

I give Kent full credit for taking those questions head on, and keeping his cool with Drew.
I agree with you, Crash. I also agree with what 2ez said.

It's easy to sit back and lob bombs at Kent Austin after the season we've had. But the potential we have going forward is also due to his recruiting and roster design. Maybe that potential isn't very high. I hope it is. 

As for Drew's article and Bob's response, I think the article is unprofessional in using an anonymous player to supposedly quote Speedy B. Its fine for Drew to levy criticisms, and to use unnamed sources. He's not a mouthpiece for the team and he should be hard. But it's not ok to attribute a comment to a named person that comes from an unnamed one. 

Bob is right, the player was a coward. I have no concerns at all about him saying so. I don't care who the player is. If I knew, I'd fire him promptly.

Bob is also right to back up his management here. If anything, he should criticise Drew as well as Mr. Anonymous. If Bob has a complaint about Kent Austin, and wants to fire him, or whatever, he should do it in private. I'm quite sure he would do exactly that if he thinks it is needed. Otherwise, he needs to let people know, especially the gutless ones, that he stands by his managers and doesn't tolerate cowardly behaviour by anyone in his organisation.
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
- Hubert H. Humphrey

letsgoticats

I'd be incredibly disappointed in the team if this happened.  

Crash

Drew really should just write opinion pieces instead of hiding behind anonymous player quotes to spike his beef with Austin.
At least stand behind it as your own.
As for cutting off his access - if he's going to write articles that causes this type of reaction without facts I wouldn't blame them one bit.

pw13

If they cut off access to a reporter trying to do his job, the commish will have to step in. No league can afford to prevent journalists from doing their jobs, especially leagues that don't get as much coverage as they want and need.

pw13

Drew really should just write opinion pieces instead of hiding behind anonymous player quotes to spike his beef with Austin.
As for cutting off his access - if he's going to write articles that causes this type of reaction without facts I wouldn't blame them one bit.
1. He's a reporter, not a columnist. It's Milton's job to write opinion, it's Edwards' job to report information. 

2. It won't happen, but if it somehow did, the league would intercede. The CFL needs all the coverage it can get. Other than the Spec, the only org sending reporters around every day is 1150, and that's simply not enough coverage to get the attention of the ticket-buying public.

letsgoticats

I find this stuff interesting.  If players want to speak to Drew anonymously, why can't he report that?  As someone else mentioned, I don't particularly like the quote naming Banks, but everything else I'm fine with.  

So you'd prefer they only give access to reporters writing fluff pieces about the team?  Drew should report what he hears, regardless of the reaction it causes.  

Crash

I find this stuff interesting.  If players want to speak to Drew anonymously, why can't he report that?  As someone else mentioned, I don't particularly like the quote naming Banks, but everything else I'm fine with.  

So you'd prefer they only give access to reporters writing fluff pieces about the team?  Drew should report what he hears, regardless of the reaction it causes.  
Absolutely not - but this one went overboard in my opinion.
Questions about what to do with Zach, potential trades that did or didn't happen, even pieces on why someone like Condell left the team are one thing... but I can make up any quote I want and say "sources" or "anonymous players." If June Jones re-signs and so does Banks then Drew looks like a horse's rear end.  

And why would the league step in? If I want to write a blog about the team do I instantly get access to press conferences and the press box for all games?

Grover

If you think Caretaker is miffed by this TMZ stuff, just think of Scott Mitchell reading it!!!

IMHO, Drew Edwards and his 3down will be barred from any team related functions,and rightly so,
 He has completely overstepped and abused his privileges generously offered him by the team.
Nobody wants a Homer like Rod Pedersen of SSK, but this is an unproven personal hatchet job on one of the TiCats top executives and totally hung Banks out to dry.

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

Users Online

60 Guests, 2 Users (11 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Aqualung1, Sidney, Google (11)

Most Online Today: 114. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)