my home team

"You don't go 11-7, 15-3 and then 12-6 off the backs of a weak east. It's numerically impossible."

Thing is, you are playing the bulk of your games against EASTERN teams. If Montreal was in the west in those years, not likely their numbers would be so dominant....

"As far as Ottawa, once again as I stated they haven't produced that stinker of a season yet that we have. They have held a curve of being average pretty much since their 2nd season with a Grey Cup win and now a pedestrian losing season."

Fact is though, Ottawa in effect had two starting quarterbacks, through those two years and some other eastern teams had none (Montreal, Toronto, Hamilton 2015)

Life is a whole lot easier when injuries or inconsistency has less impact on your most important position, especially if one is playoff tested. And the other teams in your conference are suffering from a lack of quality quarterbacking.

my home team

"1) In that time, Lancaster actually won a Grey Cup
2) Lancaster posted 3 winning seasons, one 0.500 season and 2 losing seasons (IE: He had a better record then Austin)
3) Lancaster was let go after posting a 1-17 after having a 7-11 season
4) He posted those loses on a limited budget after the team returned to struggling in the early 2000s
5) He too was doing both the coaching and GM role when the drop-off happened, much like Austin in his hybrid VP role.
6) He had a much more extensive CFL coaching resume then Austin"

Different players, management and ownership.

Not sure how you can relate the two situations when the people making the decisions are not the same.

Black and McDonald didn't want to spend the money, yet wanted successful results.

Bob Young has proven that he will invest in the team and seems to be patient to let those he hired do their jobs.

That is why those scenarios worked out the way they did.

mr62cats

Hammer: Three excellent assessments /posts on this page.Thanks for getting directly to the heart of the matter.

TheCrazyCatLady

Thing is, you are playing the bulk of your games against EASTERN teams. If Montreal was in the west in those years, not likely their numbers would be so dominant....
Actually this is incorrect. Every team in the league (regardless of division) plays the West 10 times and the East 8. 

This year we played Ottawa and Toronto 3 times and Montreal 2, for a total of 8 games. 

We played each West team 2 times - 5 teams, 2 games = 10 games.

Same thing is true for the West if you calculate that. It's because the uneven divisions. Now, I suppose if we're talking Montreal when they were most dominant, there were even teams, so they did play the East more overall I believe. The schedule is actually even now for both divisions. 

150GAGE

People keep taking credit away from other teams like Montreal; then comparatively our team would be complete crap; as we finished much worse in those years. 

Really only thing that matters is how many times cats win a championships.
Every 9 years would not be unreasonable. 

( I am also wondering if relatives of Kent Austin are posting here, as some posts are defending him, they appear to be happy just making the grey cup game - whether you finish 2nd or 9th; team is still a loser)

my home team

People keep taking credit away from other teams like Montreal; then comparatively our team would be complete crap; as we finished much worse in those years.

Really only thing that matters is how many times cats win a championships.
Every 9 years would not be unreasonable.

( I am also wondering if relatives of Kent Austin are posting here, as some posts are defending him, they appear to be happy just making the grey cup game - whether you finish 2nd or 9th; team is still a loser)
Because those teams accomplished during times when the east was weak then too.

If you diminish Kent Austin's success for those same reasons then it's only fair that Montreal and Ottawa's wins be characterized in the same way.

So, again because someone disagrees with you, you minimize what they say.

Seems, you're universally unfair.

You're consistent.

my home team

"whether you finish 2nd or 9th; team is still a loser)"

And that's YOUR OPINION....it's certainly not fact or truth...

stevehvh

If you consider your team is a loser if it doesn't win the Grey Cup, and at the same time you think it's reasonable to expect the team to win it once every nine years, then you are expecting to be unhappy 90 percent of the time. Doesn't sound like much fun to me. On that basis, I think I'd look for another hobby.
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
- Hubert H. Humphrey

my home team

If you consider your team is a loser if it doesn't win the Grey Cup, and at the same time you think it's reasonable to expect the team to win it once every nine years, then you are expecting to be unhappy 90 percent of the time. Doesn't sound like much fun to me. On that basis, I think I'd look for another hobby.
I don't get this thinking, Steve.

Bottom line, this is entertainment. It's not critical.

I've stated before, YES, I would like to win a Grey cup soon.

Do I think of my team as a loser if it doesn't?

Clearly, NO.

Must be a miserable existence for those who have those unrealistic expectations.

That being the case, I agree with you, they should seek something else to dominate their idle minds.

150GAGE

My home team and Stevehvh you may be right, however there are a lot fans that feel like I do.
They have simply started to non-renew their season tickets.
The whole row of about 8 seats behind me and 2 seats beside mine are non renewing.
I refuse to simply slam these folks for being Fed up. Their concerns need to be taken seriously.  We need more fans not less- and if people like a winner, you can dismiss it all you want, but it doesn' t help the team support.
More than a grey cup, I want to see Tim Hortons field packed; but I do believe a grey cup winner will go a long way to filling the stadium. Cause losing certainly is not achieving that goal....so far.

Welder

"1) In that time, Lancaster actually won a Grey Cup
2) Lancaster posted 3 winning seasons, one 0.500 season and 2 losing seasons (IE: He had a better record then Austin)
3) Lancaster was let go after posting a 1-17 after having a 7-11 season
4) He posted those loses on a limited budget after the team returned to struggling in the early 2000s
5) He too was doing both the coaching and GM role when the drop-off happened, much like Austin in his hybrid VP role.
6) He had a much more extensive CFL coaching resume then Austin"

Different players, management and ownership.

Not sure how you can relate the two situations when the people making the decisions are not the same.

Black and McDonald didn't want to spend the money, yet wanted successful results.

Bob Young has proven that he will invest in the team and seems to be patient to let those he hired do their jobs.

That is why those scenarios worked out the way they did.
Patience might be one word to describe the efforts of the last 14 years....Relative incompetence might be another...#year14ofthe5yearplan
"I did not mean that conservatives were generally stupid; I meant that stupid persons are generally conservative."  John Stuart Mill

Fish Farmer

If it was known, I think most slammed him.
Don't let the door hit you in the --- Kent.
June, come on in and sit awhile.
GO CATS GO!!!!!!

my home team

My home team and Stevehvh you may be right, however there are a lot fans that feel like I do.
They have simply started to non-renew their season tickets.
The whole row of about 8 seats behind me and 2 seats beside mine are non renewing.
I refuse to simply slam these folks for being Fed up. Their concerns need to be taken seriously.  We need more fans not less- and if people like a winner, you can dismiss it all you want, but it doesn' t help the team support.
More than a grey cup, I want to see Tim Hortons field packed; but I do believe a grey cup winner will go a long way to filling the stadium. Cause losing certainly is not achieving that goal....so far.
And how many is "many"?? The eight people sitting around you at the stadium??

No one is asking you to "slam" those that agree with you.

However, you're quite willing to do that to those that DISagree with your opinions.

We DON'T know how many of this team's ticket buyers do follow what you're saying.

I would suggest that EVERYONE who supports the Tiger cats wants success. Some are more patient than others. And they should not be characterized as "relatives" or their thoughts diminished or dismissed for saying so.

stevehvh

I don't slam anybody for being fed up, much less "simply" slam them. But I don't share the view that every year the team doesn't win the Grey Cup they are a "loser". Neither do I share the view that Kent Austin is a disaster, as some here evidently do. I think he's done a lot of good in his time in Hamilton. This past year his coaching didn't work out. It happens. He removed himself from that role. June Jones was great, a breath of fresh air.

Every year I hope for a Grey Cup, but even more I hope for a competitive team. Almost every year we have that. I've been through periods when we didn't and it looked bleak for the longer term, on and off the field. This year we started off way behind the eight ball, but made a good run in the second half of the season with a new coach and revamped team. I certainly was entertained by that run, and feel encouraged about next season. If others don't share that perspective, and decide not to support the team, I'm sorry they feel that way, but it's their call.

Users Online

61 Guests, 4 Users (9 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Mightygoose, ed ohmnes, Sidney, Google (9)

Most Online Today: 114. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)