canadianfootballfan

Since many of them are on YouTube now, I figured I would put them all in one place here.  These are all complete games - not highlights.

Enjoy!

1963:  
https://youtu.be/lZVeccOn3Yo

1965:  
https://youtu.be/OhmddAZ6uRU

1972:  
https://youtu.be/8yID5T6NxI8

1986:  
https://youtu.be/aSqwFt2ac3A

1999:  
https://youtu.be/u27g6kCfpqU

Krisiun

This is great. Thank you very much for the links. I've re-watched the 72 and 86 Cups many times but for some reason ESPN Classic would not show the 99 Grey Cup. The earlier Cups are nice bonus also. :)

Krisiun

During the annual Grey Cup week ESPN Classic would show most of the Grey Cups chronologically but they would always show 1998 and then skip to 2000. I guess they didn't think the 1999 Cup was all that classic. I always felt burned when they did that since us Hamilton fans then only had 2 game films to celebrate since 1972. >:(

canadianfootballfan

During the annual Grey Cup week ESPN Classic would show most of the Grey Cups chronologically but they would always show 1998 and then skip to 2000. I guess they didn't think the 1999 Cup was all that classic. I always felt burned when they did that since us Hamilton fans then only had 2 game films to celebrate since 1972. >:(
The first half was very good in the 99 cup, but not the second.  Even Calgary's comeback wasn't very memorable.  The Hamilton O sputtered in the second.

Even the 86 cup isn't overly exciting IMO.  I would say the 89 and 98 cups were far more exciting, but were losses for the Ticats.

PatLynch

I watched the 63 Grey Cup and here are some observations : The camera work during the play left a lot to be desired. There were constant late hits with players already down. The Mosca hit on Willie Fleming, with no flag on the play. seemed typical for the day. The Cat defence just dominated Joe Kapp and the Lions.  BC's only TD came with about 2 minutes to go in the game.
The punt and kick coverage was superb. Hmiel, Krouse, and Pikula(sp.) seemed to make every tackle. The field was greasy. The official's penalty signals were grandiose in comparison to today's simple, clear signs . The referee paid special attention to #21 Ralph Goldston of the Cats while ignoring many Lion infractions . Goldie had actually changed his number from #88 but the "flag bearers" were having none of it.
Bethea was smooth scoring the first TD while Baker and Pace seemed to get stronger as the game went on. Tommy Grant was outstanding on curl routes and played one of his best games in the Big Game. The OLine of Mikza, Cureton, Kelly, Nagurski, Denoble, Viti, and Patterson protected Faloney all day . Patterson's 70 yard TD was typical for Prince Hal . Faloney was nimble and decisive all day! Henley played a little offense and caught his usual deep ball . His defence , along with Sutherin, Zuger, Cannavino, and Goldston smothered the Lion receivers. The DLine of Gossage, Mosca, Neuman, Ceppetelli, Kilrea and backers Kuntz, Zeno Karz (sp) and often John Barrow pressured Joe Kapp all day, while stopping the running of Beamer and Fleming.
Coach Sazio seemed to be plays ahead of Dave Skrein of BC. It was a dominating performance by the D and the Teams and Faloney's boys did the rest .

Pat Lynch (the old guy)

ottawacat

As the old song goes, Pat, "Those were the days, my friend.  We thought they'd never end."
How wrong we, now old guys, were! :-\

canadianfootballfan

I watched the 63 Grey Cup and here are some observations : The camera work during the play left a lot to be desired. There were constant late hits with players already down. The Mosca hit on Willie Fleming, with no flag on the play. seemed typical for the day. The Cat defence just dominated Joe Kapp and the Lions.  BC's only TD came with about 2 minutes to go in the game.
The punt and kick coverage was superb. Hmiel, Krouse, and Pikula(sp.) seemed to make every tackle. The field was greasy. The official's penalty signals were grandiose in comparison to today's simple, clear signs . The referee paid special attention to #21 Ralph Goldston of the Cats while ignoring many Lion infractions . Goldie had actually changed his number from #88 but the "flag bearers" were having none of it.
Bethea was smooth scoring the first TD while Baker and Pace seemed to get stronger as the game went on. Tommy Grant was outstanding on curl routes and played one of his best games in the Big Game. The OLine of Mikza, Cureton, Kelly, Nagurski, Denoble, Viti, and Patterson protected Faloney all day . Patterson's 70 yard TD was typical for Prince Hal . Faloney was nimble and decisive all day! Henley played a little offense and caught his usual deep ball . His defence , along with Sutherin, Zuger, Cannavino, and Goldston smothered the Lion receivers. The DLine of Gossage, Mosca, Neuman, Ceppetelli, Kilrea and backers Kuntz, Zeno Karz (sp) and often John Barrow pressured Joe Kapp all day, while stopping the running of Beamer and Fleming.
Coach Sazio seemed to be plays ahead of Dave Skrein of BC. It was a dominating performance by the D and the Teams and Faloney's boys did the rest .

Pat Lynch (the old guy)
Yep...  the 63 cup is one of my favs for sure.  A dominant game by the Ticats to say the least. 

Also, I re-watched the 1985 cup recently, which I didn't add here because it's a loss, and it reminded me how much I miss Hobart at QB.  Even though the Lions kept the Ticats under wraps most of the game - Hobart was just giving it his all running the ball.  The receivers couldn't catch a cold that game.

bobo82

I just finished watching the '65' game . I can see why it wasn't listed on the 5 Greatest Ti-Cat Grey Cup victories video that I posted in an earlier thread . Not the most exciting game I've ever seen but a win is a win is a win as they say . Apparently it was a real windy day that day and it was almost exclusively all running plays with very few pass attempts by both sides . Ironically the Bombers because of the gusty conditions decided to give up 3 safeties instead of punting into the wind and those 6 pts turned out to be the margin of victory on that day for our Cats 22-16 .

The rules were different back then for teams conceding safeties as unlike in today's modern game the team giving up the safety still retained possession of the ball instead of kicking it away to the other team . The strategy obviously backfired on the Bombers as their Offence couldn't get nothing going on the day against a stout Ti-Cat defence who stymied them all game long . Ironically even though the passing attempts by each QB were few and far between the only Ti-Cat TD of the 2nd half was a 69 yd pass and run play from Joe Zuger to Willie Bethea .

Here is a CBC stock footage news reel of the '65' Grey Cup that I found that shows the conditions on that day as well as a post game interview with Bomber HC Bud Grant explaining his strategy on conceding those 3 safety touches . There is also footage of the Grey Cup celebration in the Ti-Cat locker room showing John Barrow and HC Ralph Sazio celebrating with the Cup .

Enjoy !!! 8)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/archive-winnipeg-blue-bombers-in-1965-grey-cup-final-1.2852762

'65' Ti-Cat Grey Cup defence...

Grey Cup program

'65' Grey Cup ring
15 GREY CUPS for HAMILTON BASED TEAMS

canadianfootballfan

Would the mods be open to making this thread a sticky?

safetyblitz

This is an official team forum frequented by at least one person from the CFL Board of Governors. I'm just counting the days until those videos get blocked/removed from youtube to keep TSN happy.

canadianfootballfan

This is an official team forum frequented by at least one person from the CFL Board of Governors. I'm just counting the days until those videos get blocked/removed from youtube to keep TSN happy.
Until they offer a way for us to pay to see these old games...  what do they have to complain about?

People even sell DVD's and VHS tapes of old CFL Cups on ebay, because there is nowhere to buy them legitimately.  Would they prefer we just never get to see them again?  Great way to grow fans...

Also...  TSN didn't broadcast any of the Cups linked to in this thread.  They are all CBC and CTV.

Users Online

92 Guests, 12 Users (12 Spiders, 3 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
KevinRiley2, Mightygoose, SeaFiddle, pdson2, slowhand, Slomojo2005, Espo, Onemoredork, tony, Google (AdSense) (4), Google (8)

Most Online Today: 189. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)