Krisiun

Just read an interesting article on Little Caesers Arena.  The lower bowl wss constructed to avoid as much casual view from the concourse as possible.  The idea is to have the fans get back to their seats as wuick as possible to show and no doubt hear the sea of red.   Either THF is ahead of its time or behind.  There are tons of posts snd posters that talk about being loud amd the 13th man yada yada.  Aint happening if half the place is hanging out yaking.  IWS was much louder and intimidating then THF.  Just saying do you go to hang out or to support the team.  Cant suck and blow.
Ivor wynne also had 7000 more people in it...
Actually for the most part Ivor Wynne had 7000 less people in it. 8)

Defense_Rules

Guilty as charged.  I like to walk around for about a quarter, to watch the game from different angles.  Also I like to feel the culture of the fans in different sections. I often run into fans that haven't seen in a while or someone from high school days.
For Riders game, I got tickets from a friend on the opposite stands; was cool to watch the game from a different perspective.
(I did not realize I was offending so many people)
You could buy seats in several sections and sit.

jaybird24

Guilty as charged.  I like to walk around for about a quarter, to watch the game from different angles.  Also I like to feel the culture of the fans in different sections. I often run into fans that haven't seen in a while or someone from high school days.
For Riders game, I got tickets from a friend on the opposite stands; was cool to watch the game from a different perspective.
(I did not realize I was offending so many people)
Don't feel guilty,  the stadium was designed for people to walk around and congregate on the concourses.   In Ottawa they have the patio in the end zone where people can stand around tables drink and have fun.
At THF and TDPlace you are encouraged to stand around.  
A group of guys going to a football game and standing around having fun that's great.   There was nothing worse than being stuck on an uncomfortable bench at IWS trying to talk to your buddy who was 4 seats down!!   Or standing up and people behind telling you to sit down.
The benches at IWS were laid out in the 1950s/60s,  50 people per bench that should have seated 30 people. 

Don't be put off by some of the old timers on here,  most probably couldn't walk around the stadium anyway and can't stand for long periods.   

tcmike

I do see where some may feel the new digs takes away from the atmosphere and also the players. They see the fans and feed off them. I personally like THF but do wish more would watch the game from their seats, especially in a close and important game where the 13th man becomes a factor.
Best Game\'s ever. 1986 game 2 Ticat Argo Home and Home East final series and 1998 Eastern Final Hamilton VS Montreal.

Mark

Unfortunately the 13th man is gone at THF. 

canadianfootballfan

Looking back on things...  I think that 150 million that THF cost would have been better spent on restoring IWS.  They could have pimped it out like crazy for 150M.

Riggins

Looking back on things...  I think that 150 million that THF cost would have been better spent on restoring IWS.  They could have pimped it out like crazy for 150M.
That was the original plan, right?  I mean the plan after the original plan and like 5 other ones went wrong, was the compromise solution to rebuild Ivor Wynne.  Then the designers figured out there was enough in the budget to tear down and build from scratch if they did it really, really cheap.

I don't understand why people would want to stand around and chat at a football game either but the lounge areas are popular and if it sells tickets and expensive beers to keep the team profitable I'm all for it.  You can bet this was all based on market research and the changing demographics of CFL fans.  Even among the young hipsters I know it seems like there's more of a buzz around Ticat games than there used to be.  Hopefully that translates into an appreciation for the game and a new generation of CFL fans. 

safetyblitz

Looking back on things...  I think that 150 million that THF cost would have been better spent on restoring IWS.  They could have pimped it out like crazy for 150M.
1) The design of the concrete slabs at IWS wouldn't have accommodated modern seats, which was the biggest upgrade it needed.

2) A "restoration" couldn't have made it possible to add club and suite levels, which are huge moneymakers for the team.

Any so-called restoration really would have had to amount to a rebuild, at which point it just becomes a question of how ambitious the rebuild is going to be.

Lennywasout

If my memory serves me, I believe the south stands were near terminal as the steel beams supporting them were non salvageable.  
I think at one point the estimate to try and restore them was $50mil , so for the same $$ by the city we got a new stadium.  I like THF and for the life of me can’t understand all the continuous whining about its design.  I had ST at IWS since 1972 and for most of my time had backs on my seats.  If someone big sat beside me that was over 159 lbs, I felt like a sardine being packed into my seat.  THF is sooooo much more comfortable. We got lucky with the PanAm games.  

FormerlyTurkish

Its nice.  Its comfortable.  Way too many stairs.  It was Pan Ams party so take it or leave it. Not sure how much say the T C had on the design if any.  I would like like to see a 20 to 25 row of elevated seats across the south end zone.   They can begin 10 feet above the stipely with no set back from the current patio.  Make it steep like Seattle and have an elevated walkway on top that serves as a go between from east side to eest with no stairs and have another browsing area or bar on top.  Like the westjet flight deck.  Can we get this for Grey Cup.

Crash

I don't think the stadium is the issue... last couple home games come right down to the wire and the entire 4th quarter people are flooding to the exits.

THF isn't the issue... it's the quality of football fan coming in that is.

Mark

I don't think the stadium is the issue... last couple home games come right down to the wire and the entire 4th quarter people are flooding to the exits.

Yes... the coming late and leaving early is surprising. Reminds me of Toronto.  Our sports culture is changing in this city.

Crash

Yes... the coming late and leaving early is surprising. Reminds me of Toronto.  Our sports culture is changing in this city.
Or the fact that the ticket price has increased and some of the diehards may not have the money to afford season tickets anymore.

When you go to a game and the place is cheering like crazy when we have the ball you know the uneducated football fan is sitting in the stands.

I cant get over the amount of people leaving early in close games. It doesn't make any sense.

150GAGE

The culture has definitely changed.  You never had to tell people to make noise, or yell DEFENCE, fans just knew when to do it.
Some people want to beat the traffic at the end of the game; I like to leave late-works just as well.
This leaving early thing is leafs, blue jays thing; I like to believe we are better than them.

Crash

The culture has definitely changed.  You never had to tell people to make noise, or yell DEFENCE, fans just knew when to do it.
Some people want to beat the traffic at the end of the game; I like to leave late-works just as well.
This leaving early thing is leafs, blue jays thing; I like to believe we are better than them.
Traffic thing is a myth... if you have any idea how to get around this city there's no traffic after games.

Users Online

105 Guests, 13 Users (17 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
TCHABS, Mightygoose, Mark, KevinRiley2, Abendschan, dcmoses, steeltownguy, jim43bob, bobo82, sully, Johnny Ticat slayer, danoc_86, Google (17)

Most Online Today: 192. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)