Hammertown Proud

this thread is awesome....

and definitely the result of being provided too much freedom. ;D ;D ;D

no one wants to go to an Argos game...and the attendance at BMO shows it. Argos work so hard to get folks "through" the gate....

Hamilton has 10K+ casual fans go to the game where, based this season's results, can be a tough challenge....These fans have fun....even though the Ticats are losing...

Yet, they are the bad fans. Too much freedom for sure!

(Bob, thanks for making it fun to go to a Cats game, even when they are losing)

Hammertown Proud

Last night the attendance was announced as 24,067, which is only about 130 short of a sellout, yet the seats on TV never looked more than half full.  The roam around and stand in the concourse culture of THF makes the Ticats look like they have no real support, when in fact they sellout virtually every game.

Honestly...  do people actually pay to watch football, then just wander around like they're at a mall?  Show some respect for the game and pay attention to it.

THF's design seems to encourage fans to wander, rather than actually watch the game.  Our A.D.D. culture is bad enough as it is, and we don't need more distractions than we already have.

What do you guys think?
This is the way modern stadiums are built. Lots of places to meet friends and congregate.

People pay for a ticket to the game and can do what they want while in attendance.

They pay for a football ticket so they can do what they want???  That makes no sense at all.  You can do what you want without buying a thing.  If you want to hangout with friends, then congregate at one of your houses, or go to a bar.  Why buy a football ticket to hangout with friends when you can do that for free?

I guess this is what happens when you allow senseless people to have freedom.  Since they don't in fact know how to properly exercise freedom.

Now when people actually need to use the concourse for things like going to the washroom, or buying some food or drink item, they have a sea of roaming idiots (not in their seats) to wade through.  Yeah...  a great use of freedom.  Being invasive to others.

my home team

Those who have paid for their ticket have a right to enjoy their time however they see fit, as long as they aren't taking away from someone else's pleasure.

I would rather have them up in the concourse or elsewhere then walking or standing in front of me constantly obstructing my view of the game.

This occurred during both home stands I attended near the end of last season. The beer walkers (all 5 of them) were so annoying, I had to change rows just so that I could see what I paid for.

That nonsense bothers me A LOT more than seeing some empty seats in the stands.

relic7

Last night the attendance was announced as 24,067, which is only about 130 short of a sellout, yet the seats on TV never looked more than half full.  The roam around and stand in the concourse culture of THF makes the Ticats look like they have no real support, when in fact they sellout virtually every game.

Honestly...  do people actually pay to watch football, then just wander around like they're at a mall?  Show some respect for the game and pay attention to it.

THF's design seems to encourage fans to wander, rather than actually watch the game.  Our A.D.D. culture is bad enough as it is, and we don't need more distractions than we already have.

What do you guys think?
Great point...This problem is not only at THF...in Ottawa it's a joke...I have season tickets on the south side 2 steps from the concourse. It takes about 25 minutes to get a beer & another 20 if you need to use the washroom. Forget about doing anything at half time, because you can't. The wanders & cheap seats or standing room people spend the whole game milling around the concourse...the service people never get a chance to serve us in our seats because they are kept busy with the stand ups...next year I have decided that if I can't beat them then I'm joining them for 20% of the cost I pay now!

Palmer

The parking lots were busy, there were lots of walkers, and the traffic going home was congested.  I'd say there was a good crowd.  We have been down this road so many time in the past, we're starting to sound like Trump and his Inauguration crowd estimates.  Although I personally don't get it, many people seem to prefer to pay admission and then buy $10.00 drinks and stand in a damp and dingy concrete warren to watching the game live.  Up to them, and my only problem is when they congregate around the washroom doors and block access.  But that is up to the stadium staff to correct, not the fans.

TravelPat1

There are several hundred - that hang out in the public areas.  There are several thousand who just never showed. And probably another 2,000 or so who were at the game were long gone by the time there was five minutes left in the game.

At most there were only about 17,000 - 18,000 there for the overtime.

I get that people have the choice to leave early or not show up.  But it still to me is too bad from an intimidating home field advantage perspective. Thousands of empty seats don't intimidate anybody as much as a packed stadium does.    

Ham Cat

Hi there.

I always appreciate reading and considering the opinions here but this is my first time posting, because this is something that's been on my mind for quite some time.

Recently, when I went to swap some tickets that there's an option to donate them. I'm not sure what the rules are or how far in advance that can be done but there have been a couple of times that we ended up with extra tickets, for one reason or the other, and I couldn't give them away. I spent an entire Saturday chasing down everyone I know and making my daughters do the same thing. I was still texting people on the way to the game and it was driving me crazy because I have no doubt there is somebody close by that would have loved to have them and I hated to see them wasted.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

my home team

Hi there.

I always appreciate reading and considering the opinions here but this is my first time posting, because this is something that's been on my mind for quite some time.

Recently, when I went to swap some tickets that there's an option to donate them. I'm not sure what the rules are or how far in advance that can be done but there have been a couple of times that we ended up with extra tickets, for one reason or the other, and I couldn't give them away. I spent an entire Saturday chasing down everyone I know and making my daughters do the same thing. I was still texting people on the way to the game and it was driving me crazy because I have no doubt there is somebody close by that would have loved to have them and I hated to see them wasted.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

If you have enough time in advance, contact the Tiger cat office and see if they know of a charity that could distribute them....or the staff there could do it for you??

project.legacy

I'll never understand why people go to a football game to "hang out" as opposed to you know, actually watching the football game in the seat that they paid for.

FormerlyTurkish

Just read an interesting article on Little Caesers Arena.  The lower bowl wss constructed to avoid as much casual view from the concourse as possible.  The idea is to have the fans get back to their seats as wuick as possible to show and no doubt hear the sea of red.   Either THF is ahead of its time or behind.  There are tons of posts snd posters that talk about being loud amd the 13th man yada yada.  Aint happening if half the place is hanging out yaking.  IWS was much louder and intimidating then THF.  Just saying do you go to hang out or to support the team.  Cant suck and blow.

Crash

Just read an interesting article on Little Caesers Arena.  The lower bowl wss constructed to avoid as much casual view from the concourse as possible.  The idea is to have the fans get back to their seats as wuick as possible to show and no doubt hear the sea of red.   Either THF is ahead of its time or behind.  There are tons of posts snd posters that talk about being loud amd the 13th man yada yada.  Aint happening if half the place is hanging out yaking.  IWS was much louder and intimidating then THF.  Just saying do you go to hang out or to support the team.  Cant suck and blow.
Ivor wynne also had 7000 more people in it...

FormerlyTurkish

That were on their seats.

canadianfootballfan

Just read an interesting article on Little Caesers Arena.  The lower bowl wss constructed to avoid as much casual view from the concourse as possible.  The idea is to have the fans get back to their seats as wuick as possible to show and no doubt hear the sea of red.   Either THF is ahead of its time or behind.  There are tons of posts snd posters that talk about being loud amd the 13th man yada yada.  Aint happening if half the place is hanging out yaking.  IWS was much louder and intimidating then THF.  Just saying do you go to hang out or to support the team.  Cant suck and blow.
Ivor wynne also had 7000 more people in it...

Actually 5,400.  Ivor Wynne held 29,600 vs 24,200 at THF.

TravelPat1

In a close game - probably 27,000 - 28,000 were in their seats ROARING late in a game at IWS. These days at THF fewer than 20,000 are in their seats late in a game and many seem somewhat indifferent. The difference has got to be obvious to visiting teams.

If any of you are also Bills fans who go to games at New Era Field  - you would know the lack of noise and people in the seats at key late moments in the games now at THF is actually kind of pathetic in comparison to the insane scenes you can get at close Bills games.  These days - there is absolutely NO comparison in terms of home field advantage noise.  It isn't even remotely close. It is actually kind of embarassing to be honest - and I'm saying this as a fan of both teams.  

150GAGE

Guilty as charged.  I like to walk around for about a quarter, to watch the game from different angles.  Also I like to feel the culture of the fans in different sections. I often run into fans that haven't seen in a while or someone from high school days.
For Riders game, I got tickets from a friend on the opposite stands; was cool to watch the game from a different perspective. 
(I did not realize I was offending so many people)

Users Online

116 Guests, 16 Users (17 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
brianjoxx, KevinRiley2, dcmoses, danoc_86, heapbag, Oskie18, TCHABS, RedandWhite, RBFan2014, Mark, Mightygoose, Abendschan, steeltownguy, jim43bob, bobo82, Google (17)

Most Online Today: 192. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)