Espo

So here we are. 2018. Yet it appears the same old boy's club is still running the show. Mitchell, Austin and Tillman.
June Jones served his purpose last season.But I see no talk about a future vision for this team.
Looks so far it looks like the same old. Austin's time is up.
I would like to see a new, young HC and new blood in the GM's job who can come up with a vision for the future of this team.

who?  Who do you want replacing/inserted into this staff?  Is there someone in mind, or do you just want to see some youth for the sake of youth.  

I'd almost get behind you if you were asking for some sort of kyle dubas situation, where the organization takes an up and comer in and grooms them with the rest.  but it seems like you just want change and shake up with no real game plan after that.  
Extraordinary claims require extraodinary proofs

ExPat

Many have extolled the virtues of Bo Levi Mitchell, yet twice they've shown up for the Grey cup only to lose to teams that were not supposed to beat them.

It's not just the quarterback that is a factor.
Congratulations on blocking 2014 out of your memory.  I wouldn't mind doing the same, but the fact remains that we don't have any more favourable memories to replace it.  Maybe someday soon.

SteelCitySteve

I don't feel like that either, I hate seeing Zac go, but I get it was a move that almost was a must make. I've never felt Austin had to leave, and I feel very comfortable knowing we have some good CFL people minding the shop.

-Hammer-

So here we are. 2018. Yet it appears the same old boy's club is still running the show. Mitchell, Austin and Tillman.
June Jones served his purpose last season.But I see no talk about a future vision for this team.
I would like to see a new, young HC and new blood in the GM's job who can come up with a vision for the future of this team.
This would be a great year to make some major changes.
All we seem to be doing now is looking into the rear view mirror.
Anyone else feel this way?
I think the team has stemmed it's bleeding from last year, because of the personnel scramble it had to engage in due to a lacklustre free-agency and a failure to evaluate talent at the start of the season.

Do I think we're going to the cup as it stands right now? No. At best, we're back to being a 50 team who gets by because the East is weak at best, and more likely a miss the playoffs due to crossover. The team needs more depth at O.line, a marquee Canadian receiver (sorry but Fantuz doesn't have a lot of time left) and a reliable backup QB who won't be a constant media distraction as I don't know what our current 2nd stringers look like. It would also be great if for once we actually got one of the top rushers in the league and a solid DB. I think the fact that only Reinbold lost his job over 0-8 and Art Briles is absurd.

Given that Edmonton has several possible managers we could have poached, or one from Calgary. I think Junes has earned rope, but we'll see what he does. We still don't have an OC and if we have another season where we sit on our hands during free agency we'll suffer for it, even if you manage to retain most of your guys.

my home team

Many have extolled the virtues of Bo Levi Mitchell, yet twice they've shown up for the Grey cup only to lose to teams that were not supposed to beat them.

Congratulations on blocking 2014 out of your memory.  I wouldn't mind doing the same, but the fact remains that we don't have any more favourable memories to replace it.  Maybe someday soon.
Yes Pat, but for the sake of a bad penalty call, they might have lost that game too!!!!

ExPat

Congratulations on blocking 2014 out of your memory.  I wouldn't mind doing the same, but the fact remains that we don't have any more favourable memories to replace it.  Maybe someday soon.
Yes Pat, but for the sake of a bad penalty call, they might have lost that game too!!!!
Or they might have driven down the field and won it with a field goal.  Grey Cups usually have exciting finishes (except in 2013).  If you're going to make the point that BLM cannot win a Grey Cup, you should be a bit more thorough.  He put them far enough ahead in 2014 that our late comeback attempt fell short. 

And of course his defence helped out quite a bit - which might be the broader point you were making.  QBs don't win or lose single-handedly (except in Hamilton).

my home team

Do you want Bob Young gone as well?

There’s no complaining in the world that will drive Young to do as you ask. It’s his team, his money, his organization.  These are not stupid people. All with experience in the CFL which is critical.
I think we should stick to complaining about coaching on down 😁
Lenny:

Can anyone tell me what the "future vision" is for ANY team in this league??

It's not something you're going to make public to players you're negotiating with and other teams that you're competing against for talent.

Just because this statement is not known doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

This team came very close to getting to the playoffs last season despite its poor start. Adding, yes.

Major changes??  Only for those who are obsessed with complaining.

I would call the hiring of June Jones and the promotion of Jeremiah Masoli steps forward.

Some seem to confuse continuity with looking back.....

my home team

Or they might have driven down the field and won it with a field goal.  Grey Cups usually have exciting finishes (except in 2013).  If you're going to make the point that BLM cannot win a Grey Cup, you should be a bit more thorough.  He put them far enough ahead in 2014 that our late comeback attempt fell short.

And of course his defence helped out quite a bit - which might be the broader point you were making.  QBs don't win or lose single-handedly (except in Hamilton).
I guess we`ll never know what impact that return late in the game might have had.

The point I am trying to make, but failing, I guess, is that for all the ability that Mitchell and this team was supposed to have, and all the trumpeting they`ve received, they were not as dominant a team when it mattered the most.

-Hammer-

There’s no complaining in the world that will drive Young to do as you ask. It’s his team, his money, his organization.  These are not stupid people. All with experience in the CFL which is critical.
Lenny:

It's not something you're going to make public to players you're negotiating with and other teams that you're competing against for talent.

This team came very close to getting to the playoffs last season despite its poor start. Adding, yes.

Major changes??  Only for those who are obsessed with complaining.

I would call the hiring of June Jones and the promotion of Jeremiah Masoli steps forward.

Sure

Stamps: Keep the status quo. We have experienced proven staff and personell. Only thing is to fill the gaps of players who want more then we want to give. We are making it to the cup and posting good records. We just keep getting unlucky at the end of the season, so we'll start mixing up how we rest guys then. Grey Cup close by next year, that will benefit us further.

Montreal: Rebuild and overhaul, there is more wrong then right. Our current management has a half season of rope to produce something. Make every team have to pay money then they want to for any free agent of worth and stockpile picks and cap space for when they inevitably need to trim their roster.

Ottawa: Mix up our coaches (which they've already done). We under performed after winning a Grey Cup, and we don't feel it was just because we had a vet QB since we kept most of our players. Maybe some minor personnel tweaks are also in order, so be very aggressive pursuing those key additions.

Toronto: Keep the status quo. We just won the Grey Cup. We have experienced proven staff and personnel. Only thing is to fill the gaps of players who want more then we want to give. Also get a backup QB (which we already have)

Winnipeg: Unsure, but likely push hard in free agency to get some key additions. Get a backup QB.

Saskatchewan: Jones has begun to turn it around. We needed to upgrade at QB and did so. Just some minor key changes and we'll be back in the show.

Edmonton: Adjust to the new guys we got last season and appraise our salary changes as a result. Likely we'll need to make some trades. Also get a backup QB.

BC: Unsure, but likely have our new GM work some magic and see what he gets us. It's a bit of a dice roll, but we've kind of but put there by injuries and coaches/management who just don't seem to be able to replicate Wally.

Hamilton's seems to be: Status quo. Despite failing to make the playoffs last year, having a management staff that was completely inactive during last free agency, stunk like rotten meat for the first half of the season and tried to hire a man involved in a sexual assault coverup, we got a new coach that went 6-4 after management scrambled after NFL cuts and traded away some top talent to Edmonton and a lot of teams looking to be aggressive in free agency. That must mean we're fine. Oh and Johnny Manziel, because everyone gives us media time by chasing him despite us saying last season at the half way point that he wasn't up to snuff.

ronfromtigertown

Back to the glory days 2004-08. When major changes, new vision, new blood and outside the box thinking roamed free.
Well said, Dork. Except Mr 62 probably doesn't understand you're being sarcastic. 
God grant me the serenity To accept the things I cannot change;
Courage to change the things I can; And wisdom to know the difference.
[/color] "

blackandgld

Lenny:

It's not something you're going to make public to players you're negotiating with and other teams that you're competing against for talent.

Major changes??  Only for those who are obsessed with complaining.

Sure

Stamps: Keep the status quo. We have experienced proven staff and personell. Only thing is to fill the gaps of players who want more then we want to give. We are making it to the cup and posting good records. We just keep getting unlucky at the end of the season, so we'll start mixing up how we rest guys then. Grey Cup close by next year, that will benefit us further.

Montreal: Rebuild and overhaul, there is more wrong then right. Our current management has a half season of rope to produce something. Make every team have to pay money then they want to for any free agent of worth and stockpile picks and cap space for when they inevitably need to trim their roster.

Ottawa: Mix up our coaches (which they've already done). We under performed after winning a Grey Cup, and we don't feel it was just because we had a vet QB since we kept most of our players. Maybe some minor personnel tweaks are also in order, so be very aggressive pursuing those key additions.

Toronto: Keep the status quo. We just won the Grey Cup. We have experienced proven staff and personnel. Only thing is to fill the gaps of players who want more then we want to give. Also get a backup QB (which we already have)

Winnipeg: Unsure, but likely push hard in free agency to get some key additions. Get a backup QB.

Saskatchewan: Jones has begun to turn it around. We needed to upgrade at QB and did so. Just some minor key changes and we'll be back in the show.

Edmonton: Adjust to the new guys we got last season and appraise our salary changes as a result. Likely we'll need to make some trades. Also get a backup QB.

BC: Unsure, but likely have our new GM work some magic and see what he gets us. It's a bit of a dice roll, but we've kind of but put there by injuries and coaches/management who just don't seem to be able to replicate Wally.

Hamilton's seems to be: Status quo. Despite failing to make the playoffs last year, having a management staff that was completely inactive during last free agency, stunk like rotten meat for the first half of the season and tried to hire a man involved in a sexual assault coverup, we got a new coach that went 6-4 after management scrambled after NFL cuts and traded away some top talent to Edmonton and a lot of teams looking to be aggressive in free agency. That must mean we're fine. Oh and Johnny Manziel, because everyone gives us media time by chasing him despite us saying last season at the half way point that he wasn't up to snuff.
Well the management does have $540K in spare change to toss around once FA hits.

Krisiun

That $540K could sign 2 or 3 quality free agents. Unless they blow it all on Manziel.

mr62cats

Well I guess if all you folks think  "the future" ends after the 2018/2019 season.... so be it.

Some good thoughts here.Also some personal attacks against me from the two long time culprits who must have forgotten that this is a discussion forum. Yet they have no original thoughts of their own and post unfocussed gibberish.
Sad.

stevehvh

C'mon 62, it's not as bad as all that. 

Loading up on draft choices in what is considered a deep draft year seems pretty future oriented to me. You could certainly say bringing in Manziel (if they do) is a fresh approach. In this day and age, with free agency the way it is, long term contracts are a thing of the past, so signing someone for a year or two is the norm. Your vision can't realistically extend much beyond that anyway.

The examples of the future visions of the other teams don't seem too stirring to me... A couple of stand pats, a few tweaks, and one pray for a miracle. Don't even mention Montreal ...

I think we're on a good track, and look forward to an exciting year.
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
- Hubert H. Humphrey

NZFan

Grover: I was accusing THE TEAM of looking in the rear view mirror.Every organization needs to look ahead.I don't see that happening.Band-Aid solutions are not good enough.
Mr. 62, it seems the team is looking forward to me

We are 5 days into the new year and already have coming for a full season

- a New Starting QB
- a New H/C
- a New RB
- 5 new high end prospects coming to camp from the draft
- $540K in new found Cap space to spend on high end F/A's
I knew all those bullet points individually...but, seeing them listed together does start the year with something to be positive about. 

Users Online

84 Guests, 10 Users (7 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
everyman, Aerial, The Last Word, Cool, batkinson001, PTBO Dave, 15_championships, schmenger, Google (7)

Most Online Today: 170. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)