-Hammer-

Given how much of an infrastructure crunch the city is engaged in, and how little they seem to want to spend of events or things that will draw events (like upgrading First Ontario Centre) I don't see the city getting involved in a proper Grey Cup bid unless an overwhelming amount of constituents across the city as a whole, make it clear that they will turf their perpetually incumbent Councillor over this issue, which in itself seems unlikely.

Garney 26

No way we're getting a cup for 2019. One cup in 46 years speaks for itself.

Lennywasout

It’s now off season and no news of ongoing litigation being in court or resolved.  Does anyone know how we find out what is happening.
I’d like to start planning for a Grey Cup week in Hamilton before I die😡.

TCHABS

It’s now off season and no news of ongoing litigation being in court or resolved.  Does anyone know how we find out what is happening.
I’d like to start planning for a Grey Cup week in Hamilton before I die😡.
Good luck. Next excuse will be LRT construction has dowtown roads torn up.  A new Halifax team will have a game before Hamilton.

FormerlyTurkish

to repeat a wise mans post....we need term limits on these clowns!

Killer91

In Ottawa outside the stadium, their is a ticketed tailgate party with about 10,000 people mingling around and enjoying a live band and libations in the hours before actually entering the stadium (but you have cleared security).  As well there are VIP Tailgates at venues just outside the stadium that are generally indoors and include food and drink...where would you host all these types of pre-game activities not to mention the rest of the Grey Cup Festival?  If you have attended one lately you will understand why it will take some Huge creativity to host at Grey Cup in Hamilton.

Maybe we could have 1,000 really small parties on people's front lawns in the East End?

schmenger

Al Bridge Shell station Main & John st.

Espo

In Ottawa outside the stadium, their is a ticketed tailgate party with about 10,000 people mingling around and enjoying a live band and libations in the hours before actually entering the stadium (but you have cleared security).  As well there are VIP Tailgates at venues just outside the stadium that are generally indoors and include food and drink...where would you host all these types of pre-game activities not to mention the rest of the Grey Cup Festival?  If you have attended one lately you will understand why it will take some Huge creativity to host at Grey Cup in Hamilton.

Maybe we could have 1,000 really small parties on people's front lawns in the East End?

I mean, I know we've butted heads in the last year but......  

THIS SOUNDS SO EFFING EPIC
Extraordinary claims require extraodinary proofs

Mr. Pike

Very well said , Ottawa this year certainly set a high standard for future Grey Cups , I've been to quite a few but never one like this year where the whole city seemed engaged .  If one wasn't at the venue he or she wanted to get into early then standing in line was the norm.
Edmonton will put on a heck of an event next year for sure , but the bar is set pretty high now ......as far as Hamilton goes , (when and if the time comes) I hope they have one heck of a grey cup committee with lots of thinking outside the box ideas and a city counsel that gets onside and involved both passionately and financially so all can benefit from a great party and  the city/ticats  and businesses economically.

SteelCitySteve

What you've described above would have been the set-up at West Harbour. The room was there for a proper entertainment district. Could have had a new OHL arena, convention centre and amphitheater.
AEG, one of the largest arena and venue management companies in the world was interested. Once the Ticats bunged it up for us, AEG lost interest and dropped out.

With our current set-up, your opportunities for festivals are probably Gage Park, Centre Mall parking lot and the public square at THF. With downtown being a much better place since '96, there are possibilities there as well.

I'd imagine shuttle buses would play a large roll and maybe some sort of rist-band system that allows you into different places across the city. It is a week long event after all. Very doable I think.

Killer91

I mean, I know we've butted heads in the last year but......  

THIS IS EPIC
East End Epic Street Party....How bout ticketed security clearance for the whole neighbourhood around the stadium and ticket holders can wander from house party to house party! Tom Wilson playing on Balsam Ave, Teenage Head playing on Melrose Ave, Sheep Dogs playing on Cannon Street etc., Bryan Adams headlining at Gage park for the VIP Event - a giant East End Super Crawl / House Party starting about noon on Grey Cup Sunday in November until game time.  That would be a heck of a street party around the stadium on game day showing some East Hamilton Hospitality. (not sure what all the neighbours would think though!). Alright, Grey Cup game day solved, next item?

150GAGE

I don't think this is happening. 
We would screw it up, like most things city of Hamilton does.
We have the facilities but not the organization willingness or skills. 

NZFan

This would have June Jones capping off an undefeated season at home with the GC, and then ride away into the sunset of retirement and history. (Before you reply to harshly, remember it's the Holiday season ;D)

FormerlyTurkish

some random thoughts of things that will happen before we host another grey cup

..Halifax will host one first
..Hamiltons population will exceed one million
..Johnny football will be coach and gm of the tabbies
..LRT will be extended to Brantford and Niagara
..the Lincoln street lot for sth will be lost as Google will be building a new Cdn campus there
..there will be a Keg on that lot on Barton near the stadium indicating something is coming soon
..trains and people will actually use the bustling James N GO station
..and lastly City Council(all well into their 90s and beyond) vote to build a brand new 10000 seat stadium on the THF site just in time for the 2115 Pan Am games.

Espo

some random thoughts of things that will happen before we host another grey cup

..Halifax will host one first
..Hamiltons population will exceed one million
..Johnny football will be coach and gm of the tabbies
..LRT will be extended to Brantford and Niagara
..the Lincoln street lot for sth will be lost as Google will be building a new Cdn campus there
..there will be a Keg on that lot on Barton near the stadium indicating something is coming soon
..trains and people will actually use the bustling James N GO station
..and lastly City Council(all well into their 90s and beyond) vote to build a brand new 10000 seat stadium on the THF site just in time for the 2115 Pan Am games.
Dont be silly Turkish....  Brantford doesn't do transit....   they've already barely got a bus system and 38% of the population is already cab drivers. c'mon man...  i know its hyperbole, but you should probably at least make sure all your list items are feasible.  

Users Online

96 Guests, 11 Users (18 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
The Last Word, ticat1, KevinRiley2, everyman, TravelPat1, Augustus67, SeaFiddle, hairyarm, Lyle B. Style, Oskie18, Google (AdSense) (6), Google (12)

Most Online Today: 189. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)