CatsFaninOttawa

And I guess football's (soccer's) Premier League is bus league too, right? After all, it has a rule that there has to be at least eight home-grown players on every team. And there are talks about raising that number.

Chestmaster

And I guess football's (soccer's) Premier League is bus league too, right? After all, it has a rule that there has to be at least eight home-grown players on every team. And there are talks about raising that number.
Home grown? Like 8 players from the city that the team plays in? That's kinda bush.. But than again it could work since there is no shortage of soccer players over there. Kinda like us and Hockey. 
Posted using the new Blackberry Keyone

CatsFaninOttawa

Home grown? Like 8 players from the city that the team plays in? That's kinda bush.. But than again it could work since there is no shortage of soccer players over there. Kinda like us and Hockey.
Homegrown just means having played at least three years in England prior to turning 18. And sure there are lots of English soccer players. So why is the league looking at raising the quota? Probably because there are so many more non-English soccer players around the world that teams were typically made up of close to 100% foreign players.

Anyone think the CFL wouldn't go that way without our own quota? Or is it that some people don't care about that?

By the way, the CFL and Premier League are not alone. Almost every national sports league outside the US has some sort of national player quota. The only reason the US leagues don't have quotas is that they aren't threatened by foreign players.

Users Online

85 Guests, 6 Users (10 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
GOTC1, 97valkyrie, toddstattoo, Grover, smokeystover, Yahoo!, Google (9)

Most Online Today: 116. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)