mr62cats

Crash wrote: ".......As far as June Jones is concerned. Masoli has given him 2W. Collaros nothing."

Crash:  Masoli is the only QB Jones has used since he took over as HC. Until then Austin called all the plays. So how has Collaros given Jones "nothing"?

I'd say it's more like Jones has given the Tiger-Cats 2 wins. Looks to me like all of the players are showing a much improved attitude and performance under Jones' coaching. And then there's the vastly improved play calling.

I think Jones made a good move using Masoli. It was time to shake things out and bring in a much-needed new approach. He made a good move. Masoli has played well. But Jones has needed much more than a hot QB to come up with the first two wins of this season.

If you really want to boil things down to one element, rather than look at the whole team's contribution, my choice would be the O-line. But then that would ignore the incredibly-improved defence. And Sergio. And Gable. Etc. :)

Crash

Crash wrote: ".......As far as June Jones is concerned. Masoli has given him 2W. Collaros nothing."

Crash:  Masoli is the only QB Jones has used since he took over as HC. Until then Austin called all the plays. So how has Collaros given Jones "nothing"?

I'd say it's more like Jones has given the Tiger-Cats 2 wins. Looks to me like all of the players are showing a much improved attitude and performance under Jones' coaching. And then there's the vastly improved play calling.

I think Jones made a good move using Masoli. It was time to shake things out and bring in a much-needed new approach. He made a good move. Masoli has played well. But Jones has needed much more than a hot QB to come up with the first two wins of this season.

If you really want to boil things down to one element, rather than look at the whole team's contribution, my choice would be the O-line. But then that would ignore the incredibly-improved defence. And Sergio. And Gable. Etc. :)

I didn't write that.
Anyways, agree completely on all points. JJ made the right move starting JM when he did, but the wins are a based on a huge improvement across the board.
Ive said this in other threads, I don't think ZC should be starting until JM falters but management (not just coach Jones) needs to see if hes worth keeping.

mr62cats

My apologies...it was HfxTC.   I missed it in all the multi quotes. Maybe he will still chime in.

In response to your response....yes. We are in a pretty good spot right now as far as QB is concerned. Too bad that huge salary is looming overhead, affecting Zach's future.

Palmer

In response to your response....yes. We are in a pretty good spot right now as far as QB is concerned. Too bad that huge salary is looming overhead, affecting Zach's future.
IMO, although obviously I don't have to cough up the cash, if Zach can get back to his 2014/15 form, he is probably worth the money.  I suppose it comes down to perceived value for money spend?

Even if this season is lost for the team (probably, maybe) and for Zach (not necessarily), if the budget allows it, I'd like to see Zach stay with the team, and back in training camp next year.  We would still have the 2018 season to trade him if that is the decision.

We know he has the physical skills, but we have to see those skills once again displayed on the field.  We have to know that the team can again be a legimate contender with Zach at the helm.  If so, he is worth the salary.

mr62cats

IMO, although obviously I don't have to cough up the cash, if Zach can get back to his 2014/15 form, he is probably worth the money.  I suppose it comes down to perceived value for money spend?

Even if this season is lost for the team (probably, maybe) and for Zach (not necessarily), if the budget allows it, I'd like to see Zach stay with the team, and back in training camp next year.  We would still have the 2018 season to trade him if that is the decision.

We know he has the physical skills, but we have to see those skills once again displayed on the field.  We have to know that the team can again be a legimate contender with Zach at the helm.  If so, he is worth the salary.
Palmer:  Yup. Jones has a tough decision on his hands....Masoli or Zach as starting QB during the rest of this season.
There's one more reason I can think of to keep Zach, at least until his contract ends. Injuries.
After seeing Trevor Harris' shoulder injury, Mike Reilly's headshot, Kevin Glenn's hand injury (all of which happened in this past week) and also Travis Lulay, Jonathon Jennings and Ricky Ray recently, it looks like every team in the CFL needs two starting QB's! 

safetyblitz

I like Zach, but it's not like Jones picked Masoli to start at random. And in the Ottawa game, we saw several instances where Masoli used his athleticism to escape pressure in ways we haven't seen Zach do since his knee injury.

Our O-line is clearly still a weakness, and having a QB with greater mobility is one of the ways you mitigate that.

Palmer

Makes me sound like a ghoul, and although I hesitiate to want rely on the other team's misfortunes and injuries, the injuries mr62cats cites could auger well for the Cats.

We all know the cliches about "ifs and ands", and these are mighty big "ifs", but if the Redblacks are slow to rally around Tate, and if Montreal and Toronto continue to stumble, with our games in hand, the Cats could conceivably climb to a solid third place or even a shaky second place in the East.

Out West, if Glenn is out for any period of time (and my heart sincerely bleeds for the hard-luck Glenn), it could put a halt to the Roughrider rally.  Likewise, with Lulay out, it falls to Jennings to keep that ship on keel, and if they stumble, the play-off crossover for the fourth place team could fall away, returning third place in the East to a play-off position.

Not saying it will happen, or even that we would necessarily deserve it if it does, or that it would lead to the GC but at least it gives some hope to the season, and reason for the Cats to continue striving to improve.  Also gives less impetus to want to trade Zach to any of Ottawa, Regina or B.C., although I'm sure Toronto and Tommy Condell must seem like Eden to Zach right now?

woody

I like Zach, but it's not like Jones picked Masoli to start at random. And in the Ottawa game, we saw several instances where Masoli used his athleticism to escape pressure in ways we haven't seen Zach do since his knee injury.

Our O-line is clearly still a weakness, and having a QB with greater mobility is one of the ways you mitigate that.
BINGO...this is obvious. AND, I'm sure the fact that we are using more of the run game has made the defence a little hesitant to rush as much as they did in the previous games with Zach in there.
I believe Cookie Gilchrist is the most complete football player of all time. He belongs in the Canadian Football Hall of Fame!

HfxTC

A quarterback with strong hips who can run with power is always a plus even with a great oline. Mike Reilly is a good example of that. It adds another way to beat up on a defense and wear it out. Masoli has shown he can pick his spots and still throw the ball.

Regarding Zach, it depends on your optics. Some will see "what could have been" and others "will see what will be"... Both are possibly correct. At this point in his career I see Collaros like I see Lulay, Tate.

Masoli is strong and has very little wear and tear on him. He could be every bit as good as Burris IMO.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.

Palmer

Masoli is strong and has very little wear and tear on him. He could be every bit as good as Burris IMO.
You do mean that as a compliment, right? :)

HfxTC

You do mean that as a compliment, right? :)
I do.

seamack3

So by your own logic. Masoli should have the right to lose 11 in a row before losing his job.
Not at all. Masoli hasn't earned the right to get that long of a leash.
Not with a new coach and system that (for all we know) he could thrive in.
As far as June Jones is concerned. Masoli has given him 2W. Collaros nothing. What Collaros did 3 seasons ago is absolutely meaningless. Dumping that half a million dollar contract in the off season (assuming Masoli shows he's now a starting QB in the CFL) will allow this team to make huge improvements in areas of need.
No way his play shows he's now a starting qb in the CFL. Cato showed much more and look where he is.
"Cato showed much more" - sorry but unlike Masoli, I can't find his name in any CFL records.

Espo

Regarding Zach, it depends on your optics. Some will see "what could have been" and others "will see what will be"... Both are possibly correct. At this point in his career I see Collaros like I see Lulay, Tate.
Speaking of Tate.... (and disagree with the comparison there....  Lulay may be appropriate...)  wow was he super duper not at fault for anything that happened in that Ottawa game....  Just ask him....  or whoever the hell he was freaking out at after every play.
Extraordinary claims require extraodinary proofs

Crash

No way his play shows he's now a starting qb in the CFL. Cato showed much more and look where he is.
"Cato showed much more" - sorry but unlike Masoli, I can't find his name in any CFL records.
Matt Flynn holds the Green Bay Packers single game passing record... what's your point?

Users Online

136 Guests, 11 Users (7 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
ExPat, PTBO Dave, raymarkca, Iconic SR, EastVanMark, dcmoses, Grover, hawthy, yougottabekidding, Yahoo!, Google (6)

Most Online Today: 175. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)