Onemoredork

Onemore:

I agree 100%, for all that will get you.

The test will be next game, Riders.  3rd game, more tape,  western (albeit lower level) team
Yup. If Glenn can play there is the distinct possibility they obliterate the secondary with that rec corps. Reinbold defense certainly would have been.

Is it a genuinely different team ? Show me dont tell me.

BillyDee87

A few thoughts, some based on comments above:

It appeared to me that the Cats were not audibling at the line on O and the RBs figured this out and blitzed a lot in the second half.  Also, Tasker and Speedy pretty much disappeared in the second half after both being very productive in the first half.  I would suggest that the Cats dodged a bullet in this regard by hanging on to win.  I hope that this is just a product of the difficulties in installing a new offence mid-season and that as the playbook expands and the players learn, the O can adapt.  Because, the RBs made some great adjustments and almost came back to win.

Speedy is playing well at receiver.  However, the reason he may not be a long term solution at the position was on display last night.  His route running appeared a bit suspect.  And, on a comeback or curl pattern late in the game he made a catch and had the ball dislodged by the DB.  If on that play he had taken one or two steps toward the ball the distance he gains from the DB allows for a secured ball and a completion rather than a second and long.  Having said that, the use of his speed down the field has been a great move.  Maybe he can pick up or remember the nuances of the position as the season moves on.

A running game.  Nice change.

Defence is really getting good.  Dean has been impressive the last 10 games and I loved the way he blew up that double reverse pass on the first play.  Tackling has been much, much better as of late.  Leonard is a keeper in my opinion.  That we didn't have much to say about the change at LB is a good thing and might be a sign of some stability at that spot.
"For the sake of humanity" is always the credo of tyranny.

mr62cats

You people cannot possibly be thinking that Collaros should be starting the next game?? :o
Grover:  No I am not. I'd keep Masoli as the starter unless he runs into trouble. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
But if Collaros is traded anytime soon without seeing how he does under Jones we could be making a mistake.
I'd say Zach's future with the Tiger-Cats depends on how Golson can perform. If he works out well then perhaps Masoli and Golson would be a productive (and cheaper) combo. Some tough decisions coming for June Jones.
But if Zach does get traded I hope it is to a western division team.

mr62cats

..........Plus, I am tired of all the posters who assume that it everyone elses problem, and not Zachs, that he has had a sub-par year.

I readily admit that Zach is the better QB, but I also am willing  to admit that he has not been able to show those skills on the field since last year.
Palmer: You still don't get it. For the umpteenth time..... we have yet to see how Zach responds to Jones.
Zach was not calling all the plays and designing the offence. Or committing stupid penalties. He got very little protection and lousy, predictable plays to run.  Despite that he still managed to scramble and find receivers.  
You could say the same thing about the O-line too. There had not been much in the way of skills there until Jones showed up. Same applies to the whole defence. The whole team has had a "sub-par year".

The sensible thing to do is withold judgement on Zach until that happens, rather than slag him ahead of time.
Sure, but we never got to see Jeremiah under the former system did we, excepting a little under one quarter of play in an already lost game?  So we really can't compare that way either.  And I agree with all you say, the staff and team were (maybe even are) playing sub-par football.  Is it really so hard to include Zach in that assessment as opposed to continuously looking for excuses?  That's all I'm saying.

And for the record, I'm a fan of Zach Collaros and sincerely hope that he is able to get himself together, stay in Hamilton, and return to his performance levels of of 2015.  I'd be more than happy to see him back in the huddle, playing well, and ideally leading the Cats to a Grey Cup.
Palmer: Yeah. Me too. But Zach is in a vulnerable spot right now because of his salary. As long as Masoli is hot, Zach won't see any action. The longer that goes on the more chance there is of him being traded to save money. Never a dull moment with the Tiger-Cats these days.

Crash

So by your own logic. Masoli should have the right to lose 11 in a row before losing his job.
Not at all. Masoli hasn't earned the right to get that long of a leash.
Not with a new coach and system that (for all we know) he could thrive in.

HfxTC

So by your own logic. Masoli should have the right to lose 11 in a row before losing his job.
As far as June Jones is concerned. Masoli has given him 2W. Collaros nothing. What Collaros did 3 seasons ago is absolutely meaningless. Dumping that half a million dollar contract in the off season (assuming Masoli shows he's now a starting QB in the CFL) will allow this team to make huge improvements in areas of need.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.

Crash

As far as June Jones is concerned. Masoli has given him 2W. Collaros nothing. What Collaros did 3 seasons ago is absolutely meaningless. Dumping that half a million dollar contract in the off season (assuming Masoli shows he's now a starting QB in the CFL) will allow this team to make huge improvements in areas of need.
No way his play shows he's now a starting qb in the CFL. Cato showed much more and look where he is.

relic7

I was at the game...great 1st half and the win is good. The defense is Oh so much better...well playing the prevent late in the game almost cost us the game. Still the problem with the HC is that he won't change up a QB when needed...Ottawa's defense came out in the 2nd half & had Masoli figured out ...a change to Zack would have put a spin on things & they would have been the 2nd half catching onto him....the Ottawa fans were afraid that was going to happen. The HC needs to man up & not be afraid to make tough decisions. For the rest of the year we need wins & there is no place for personal egos...change the QB's every 10 minutes if it gives us the win...look out for Saskatchewan!

relic7

I'm sorry, but can't help myself.  Zach 0-12, Jeremiah 2-0, same O-line, same receivers.  Do the math, we can win without Zach, now, can we win with him?

Let the excuses for zach begin - it's all Austin's fault, Toronto played badly, Harris got hurt - next? ;D
Different scenarios.... Yes I am a Zach fan, but Masoli has had the luxury of time...in the last 2 games Masoli has hardly been "pressurized" or sacked... Zach not so much during the 1st 8 games, let's see what Zach does with this coaching philosophy before anointing JM the defacto #! eh?
How much of that extra time is due to defences having to respect the run, both with more actual running plays and QB draws, and with Masoli's ability to scramble? Perhaps Collaros could do well with this increased focus on the run. Here's hoping we get to see it at some point.
Great point...the fear of the run is a big part.

Slomojo2005

No way his play shows he's now a starting qb in the CFL. Cato showed much more and look where he is.
Right on Crash! Most of these ZC bashers probsbly never sustained an injury as serious as Zack's ( or less so) and have no idea about recovery both physucal and mental.  Give the guy a break! 

Crash

I was at the game...great 1st half and the win is good. The defense is Oh so much better...well playing the prevent late in the game almost cost us the game. Still the problem with the HC is that he won't change up a QB when needed...Ottawa's defense came out in the 2nd half & had Masoli figured out ...a change to Zack would have put a spin on things & they would have been the 2nd half catching onto him....the Ottawa fans were afraid that was going to happen. The HC needs to man up & not be afraid to make tough decisions. For the rest of the year we need wins & there is no place for personal egos...change the QB's every 10 minutes if it gives us the win...look out for Saskatchewan!
Other fans perspectives are always a good shot of reality. They were worried that we would bring Collaros in. Interesting he still strikes fear into opponents fans after the way we started.

Onemoredork

Other fans perspectives are always a good shot of reality. They were worried that we would bring Collaros in. Interesting he still strikes fear into opponents fans 
......and would sign him in two seconds if they could and his "meaningless" past play would suddenly take on a whole lot of meaning when his signing is celebrated. 

ExPat

Hard to believe we are now .500 in games within our conference. 

Too bad going .500 against the East for the rest of the year means a 4-14 record if we win zilch against the west.  

Even winning out against eastern opponents only gets us to 6-12. 

In other words - we'd better beat some western teams!

ExPat

The way this group is appreciating and playing for June Jones is looking somewhat like the mid 80's teams under Al Bruno.  Although, we haven't seen June go after any officials yet.
Interesting comparison.  Bruno never dazzled anyone with big words but somehow got his teams to perform.  You could always tell he respected the players. 

Jones doesn't scream "football genius" in the interviews I've heard, but maybe his back to basics approach is the smartest option at this point in time.  

smogmonster

Until Zach shows he has the ability and willingness to scramble he will be a sitting duck.  He hasn't been the same since his injury.  It is glaringly obvious.  Unsettled in the pocket, nervous, poor throws and no running.  I don't have any ill will towards the guy and wish him a complete recovery mentally and physically but he should not start.  Until JM proves that he doesn't earn his starting position he stays.  People seem to forget we were a dropped interception away from the GC with him starting in 2015.  He will get better with more starts and playing time.
Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle

Users Online

89 Guests, 14 Users (13 Spiders, 3 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Lennywasout, RedandWhite, Mightygoose, papazoola, PacoAls2017, ExPat, dcmoses, SteelCitySteve, schmenger, Taleback, Rider_6, Yahoo!, Google (11), Alexa

Most Online Today: 144. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)