ottawacat

Nobody's talking about finishing first, which is what I'm still hoping for, because I really don't think the second place finisher in the East has much hope of playing the Grey Cup this year.

If the Cats win all 4 of their remaining games against Eastern opponents (TOR, home & away vs. MTL, and @ OTT) and TOR and OTT win no more than 1 game each against their remaining Western opponents, even while HAM loses both (@ WPG & home vs. CAL) of theirs, the Cats finish first.

In my mind, the toughest challenges to making this scenario come true are:
1) The game this week vs. TOR
2) HAM @ OTT on Oct. 27th

The key to keeping the dream alive is a win here on Saturday night.

LeStaf

La seule question est de savoir si Hamilton peut terminer la saison avec une meilleure fiche que la 4ième meilleure équipe de l'Ouest.  Il est clair que les Tiger Cats vont surpasser les Alouettes au classement.  Restent donc les rivaux de l'Ouest. Ce ne sera pas une tâche facile pour Hamilton, considérant que le bas du classement se resserre dans l'Ouest.

Pas impossible, mais peu probable à ce moment-ci.

Bonne chance!
[size=150]For translation  ---->[/size]  http://translate.google.ca/

probeyca02

La seule question est de savoir si Hamilton peut terminer la saison avec une meilleure fiche que la 4ième meilleure équipe de l'Ouest.  Il est clair que les Tiger Cats vont surpasser les Alouettes au classement.  Restent donc les rivaux de l'Ouest. Ce ne sera pas une tâche facile pour Hamilton, considérant que le bas du classement se resserre dans l'Ouest.

Bonne chance!
HUH?

Defense_Rules

Montreal has been very hard to watch lately, they are just brutal, even worse than the bad Hamilton.  But our having a chance of making the playoffs is a strong vote for a single division.
"SINGLE DIVISION"...please never happen!
You don't give up 60 years of East vs West because the last few years of West dominance.

I would hate to see an Esks vs Stamps Grey Cup in Hamilton or Toronto.
I went to the Winnipeg/Saskatchewan Grey Cup in Toronto a few years back.  That seemed weird enough, even though Winnipeg was playing in the East, and had been, on and off, for a number of years.  I too would hate to see an all Western (or an all Eastern) Grey Cup, although, given the way this season has gone in the East, this could be the year.

Let's not forget that last year very few were picking weak Ottawa to overcome powerhouse Calgary, but not only did it happen, it was a close, exciting game.  It makes absolutely no sense to do it the East/West way we do it now, given the disparity, but that's what we do.  It's our Canadian way, I hope we continue.
Ottawa winning the game last year actually hurts the argument for keeping it as it is. Many would argue that they shouldn't be there, don't deserve to be there, and makes the entire regular season pointless if you only have to get hot for 2 weeks to win the Grey Cup.

While im not for the 1 division because I am a bit of a traditionalist, the last few years have been ugly and not good for the league's image.

If I was a fan in the west right now I'd be fuming.
Mediocracy should not be rewarded.  Only teams with winning records should move forward.  Let's have one division.  The season is just exhibition to get much needed revenues but in the long term fans will stop supporting the league.

Crash

Tough to do 1 division with the unbalanced schedule. It would require an overhaul of the schedule as we know it. Less games vs the East (our rivals) and more against the West.

Winnipeg/BC/Calgary already draw terribly here (in the East)... do we really want to play BC twice and play 2 11pm games?

ottawacat

Mediocracy should not be rewarded.  Only teams with winning records should move forward.  Let's have one division.  The season is just exhibition to get much needed revenues but in the long term fans will stop supporting the league.
So, what you're saying is:
1) If the playoffs were starting this week, only CAL, WPG & EDM ("Only teams with winning records ..... ") would be involved from here to the end.
2) Your only interest in the CFL ("The season is just exhibition...") is the 6-team, 5-game knockout tournament, we have each year, that determines the Grey Cup winner.

Espo

going to a single division would kill the league in the east.  
Extraordinary claims require extraodinary proofs

Onemoredork

going to a single division would kill the league in the east.  
This.

A couple of consecutive seasons where most of the East is out of the playoffs or playoff race before hockey devours every oxygen molecule in sports media in autumn would be fatal to TOR and MTL at least

ExPat

So, what you're saying is:
1) If the playoffs were starting this week, only CAL, WPG & EDM ("Only teams with winning records ..... ") would be involved from here to the end.
Yes, that is exactly what he is saying (though he probably didn't realize it).  CAL gets a bye into the Grey Cup, thank you very much.  The entire post-season is two games.

In 2016, only CAL, BC, WPG and EDM would have made the playoffs, but at least that would result in three post-season games.

DogsFan

Here are our playoff odds with the remaining games:

Record - Odds of Making 
6-0 - 100% 
5-1 - 98.4%
4-2 - 71%
3-3 - 17%

jaybird24

Lindley will start for the RBs again this weekend against the Riders, a guaranteed win for the Riders.   That makes things much easier for the Ticats.

LeStaf

Ainsi donc, le Rouge et Noir n'aurait jamais dû avoir la chance de gagner la Coupe Grey l'an dernier et nous donner cette finale captivante?  Je trouve que cette partie montre exactement toute la pertinence des divisions.  Le suspense demeure entier jusqu'à la fin de la saison et la dernière partie appartient à ceux qui ont su bien finir.

Abolissez les divisions, et les supporteurs vont abandonner cette ligue 10 fois plus vite.  Que voulez-vous? Une ligue à 9 équipes ou une ligue à 4 équipes?

Cette ligue pourrait redevenir très bientôt une ligue à 8 équipes.  Alors je ne crois pas que ce soit une bonne idée de la mettre au bord du précipice en abolissant les divisions.

Lennywasout

Ainsi donc, le Rouge et Noir n'aurait jamais dû avoir la chance de gagner la Coupe Grey l'an dernier et nous donner cette finale captivante?  Je trouve que cette partie montre exactement toute la pertinence des divisions.  Le suspense demeure entier jusqu'à la fin de la saison et la dernière partie appartient à ceux qui ont su bien finir.

Abolissez les divisions, et les supporteurs vont abandonner cette ligue 10 fois plus vite.  Que voulez-vous? Une ligue à 9 équipes ou une ligue à 4 équipes?

Cette ligue pourrait redevenir très bientôt une ligue à 8 équipes.  Alors je ne crois pas que ce soit une bonne idée de la mettre au bord du précipice en abolissant les divisions.
👍👍

ottawacat

My thumbs are up, with Lenny's, on what LeStaf posted about keeping the divisions.

Mark

La seule question est de savoir si Hamilton peut terminer la saison avec une meilleure fiche que la 4ième meilleure équipe de l'Ouest.  Il est clair que les Tiger Cats vont surpasser les Alouettes au classement.  Restent donc les rivaux de l'Ouest. Ce ne sera pas une tâche facile pour Hamilton, considérant que le bas du classement se resserre dans l'Ouest.

Bonne chance!
HUH?
LeStaf encourages us to use Google translate if we don't understand French.  Of course, sometimes what comes out of Google translate is a whole other language unto itself!

Users Online

117 Guests, 16 Users (18 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
KevinRiley2, RBFan2014, dcmoses, heapbag, brianjoxx, Mark, danoc_86, Oskie18, TCHABS, RedandWhite, Mightygoose, Abendschan, steeltownguy, jim43bob, bobo82, Google (18)

Most Online Today: 192. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)