blackandgld

Treat a neg list player that wants to sign as a draft pick. He will now become your property. No different than a CFL draft pick. No experience, proven nothing at the pro level but with one hell of a college resume.
Dude I believe was the first ever freshman to win the Heisman Trophy, 1st round NFL draft pick and plays the most important position on the field. 
This neg list player does have value. He will also sell tickets, create buzz whether good or bad.

Palmer

If I had my druthers, I'd trade his rights for either some quality Nationals, O-linemen, or receivers.  I'm still of the opinion that if we can get Zach on track, we are sitting pretty good at QB.  Manziel might bring more problems than he is worth.

But, as O'Billovich taught us "Better is better", and June Jones has a reputation as a QB guru.

I agree 100 percent with your druthers! ;D
Who needs Manziel's attitude and baggage. It's not as if he has been a success story in the NFL.
Let me get this straight...you guys want some team to trade the RIGHTS (not even the player, just his rights) to a guy who has been a train wreck, proven nothing at the pro level at all, with no CFL experience...for QUALITY nationals, o-linemen or receivers?

PLEASE PLEASE submit a resume to 8 other teams to be GM if you think that is even a remotely feasible trade.
Yeah, good point.  Didn't think that one through, obviously.

CatsFaninOttawa

The rules state that if the Ticats make him the minimal offer and he turns it down, then they keep his rights for a year, during which time they could trade him, or possibly make him a better offer if they want to get him practicing and playing.

So what would the Ticats do if, contrary to expectations, he actually accepted the minimal offer? Do they put him on the protected list, er, the injury list? Or do they make room for him, with Golson suddenly developing a mysterious injury? I'm thinking IL for the first week, maybe two, but after that?

DisplacedCatsFan

The rules state that if the Ticats make him the minimal offer and he turns it down, then they keep his rights for a year, during which time they could trade him, or possibly make him a better offer if they want to get him practicing and playing.

So what would the Ticats do if, contrary to expectations, he actually accepted the minimal offer? Do they put him on the protected list, er, the injury list? Or do they make room for him, with Golson suddenly developing a mysterious injury? I'm thinking IL for the first week, maybe two, but after that?
If they put him on the IL, then, technically, he would not have passed the physical.  I would think he would either be on the PR or a game-day scratch...
Formerly sigpig

Velox Versutus Vigilans

R.I.P. Cpl Nathan Cirillo Albainn Gu Brath

Slomojo2005

Sign him and see what happens. I will be very disappointed if we don't try.
Why be disappointed? The guy is all hype, just looking for some coffee money.  He is a washed up product of NFL hype machine. Trade him for a bag of footballs.

blackandgld

Sorry. Double post

blackandgld

the first freshman to win the Heisman Trophy, the Davey O'Brien Award and the Manning Award after completing 295 of 434 passes for 3,706 yards (68.0 percent) with 26 touchdowns and nine interceptions in 13 starts. Also rushed 201 times for 1,410 yards (7.0-yard average) and 21 touchdowns. Became the only player in NCAA history to have 5,000 total yards and 1,000 rushing yards in a season and set the SEC record with 5,116 yards of total offense. 

ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS
 Has big hands and grips the ball well on the move. Dynamic athlete. Exceptional game-day competitor -- rises to the occasion. Has a passion for the game. Played on the biggest of stages and revels in having his back against the wall. Stepped up against a national championship Alabama defense in 2012 and has proven he can command come-from-behind victories, as he capped his career in the Chick-fil-A bowl vs. Duke by overcoming a 21-point halftime deficit. Sufficient timing, ball placement and accuracy (68.9 percent career passing percentage). Terrific scrambling ability. Reverse spins and buys time in the pocket while continuing to scan the field -- can still set his feet, alter his throwing motion and manipulate his arm and throwing platform. Houdini-like escapability (uses subtle, nifty sidestep moves) and improvisational ability in the pocket to pull a rabbit out of his hat and create magic. Has peripheral, wide-eyed running vision (sometimes appears to have eyes in back of his head) and a very good feel for spacing. Carries the ball with a fearless confidence that he will find a way to create and usually gains positive yardage on broken plays when he appears trapped. Is mentally and physically tough -- will pop back up from hard collisions and respond to a challenge. Record-setting and award-winning two-year production. Has a knack for sustaining drives and possesses playmaking ability to create on third downs and in critical situations to keep the sticks moving. Exceptional pro day performance, displaying much improved footwork in the pocket, superb deep-ball accuracy and arm strength and supreme confidence on a big stage.
WEAKNESSES
 Has an unorthodox body type with marginal height, rounded shoulders and an underdeveloped body. Will need to learn to do a better job protecting his body and sliding. Feels pocket ghosts and often takes off running at the first flash of coverage. Undisciplined -- plays his own offense and presses to make plays. Cannot see over the pocket easily and almost never steps up into it, creating extra difficulties for OL coaches to coordinate blocking schemes and for offensive linemen to anticipate where the pocket will be. Dances around the pocket too much and creates needless sacks rolling into protection when the pocket is clean. Struggled vs. LSU and Missouri when he was forced to stay inside the pocket. Has not worked from under center, and footwork and set-up will require refinement. Often throws the ball up in the air and relies on big receivers to adjust to it and make plays, highly benefiting from the playmaking ability of a talented supporting cast featuring Mike Evans and an offensive line stocked with first-round talent. Tends to overshoot the deep ball and throw off his back foot, leading to some underthrows (too many dirtballs on the move) and diminished accuracy. Needlessly pats the ball when he scans the field. Could stand to do a better job carrying out play-action fakes. Has not developed a reputation as a worker or for doing the extras. Suspect intangibles -- not a leader by example or known to inspire by his words. Carries a sense of entitlement and prima-donna arrogance seeking out the bright lights of Hollywood. Is known to party too much and is drawn to all the trappings of the game. Lacks ideal starting experience (only two years), operated a non-traditional offense and has a lot to learn.
DRAFT PROJECTION
 Rounds 1-2
BOTTOM LINE
 A once-in-a-generation, run-around, ad-lib, sandlot-style quarterback who consistently won games playing a brand of fast-paced, jailbreak football that often goes off script and can be difficult both to game plan with and against. Is most comfortable on the move outside the pocket where he can find open throwing lanes and see the field and will command mush rush and extra spy defenders. Has defied the odds and proven to be a great college-system quarterback, but still must prove he is willing to work to be great, adjust his hard-partying, Hollywood lifestyle and be able to inspire his teammates by more than his playmaking ability. Overall character, leadership ability and work habits will define his NFL career. Rare competitiveness and third-down efficiency could carry him a long way, yet he could be challenged to avoid a crash-and-burn scenario if he does not settle down and mature. A high-risk, high-reward pick, Manziel stands to benefit from entering the NFL at a time when moving pockets are trending. No other quarterback can change the tempo of a game better if a demanding head coach feels confident he can manage the risk.

Palmer

If carrying fake ID is a reason not to hire someone, I'm thinking everyone my age, who goes back to when the drinking age was 21 years would have never gotten a job?  And I must confess that I have a few friends who were known to run into conflicts in drinking establishments during their university days, one of who actually went on to be an OPP officer.

The more damning charges, for me, would be the alleged assault charges stemming from alleged domestic abuse.  Being a wealthy, high visible kid, might have exposed him to fraudulent charges, but that accusation should certainly raise a very large red flag in any character analysis and should be worthy of a very detailed check on the part of the Cats.  Especially after the Briles mess.

ExPat

If carrying fake ID is a reason not to hire someone, I'm thinking everyone my age, who goes back to when the drinking age was 21 years would have never gotten a job?  And I must confess that I have a few friends who were known to run into conflicts in drinking establishments during their university days, one of who actually went on to be an OPP officer.

The more damning charges, for me, would be the alleged assault charges stemming from alleged domestic abuse.  Being a wealthy, high visible kid, might have exposed him to fraudulent charges, but that accusation should certainly raise a very large red flag in any character analysis and should be worthy of a very detailed check on the part of the Cats.  Especially after the Briles mess.
That's all you took away from the report blackandgold posted?  It goes way beyond the criminal activity for me.  You don't have to look much further than the football field.

e.g. Poor leadership, undisciplined, not a hard worker, prima-donna arrogance, hard-partying lifestyle.

(I'd much rather take a guy with a great attitude and slightly less natural ability that happens to have the odd burglary charge in his background - and we've already got one of those.)

Palmer

That's all you took away from the report blackandgold posted?  It goes way beyond the criminal activity for me.  You don't have to look much further than the football field.
Sorry ExPat (and blackandgold), didn't read it.  Contrary to what my wife says, I have a life outside the Cats and this forum. :)

My belief is that a Heisman winning QB out of an American football factory is almost automatically somewhere in the NFL, unless he doesn't have one or more of the physical or mental attributes, talent, or skills.  Manziel isn't in the NFL, 'nuff said.  There is a problem there, somewhere.  No use confusing me with the facts, my mind's made up!

CatsFaninOttawa

So what would the Ticats do if, contrary to expectations, he actually accepted the minimal offer? Do they put him on the protected list, er, the injury list? Or do they make room for him, with Golson suddenly developing a mysterious injury? I'm thinking IL for the first week, maybe two, but after that?
If they put him on the IL, then, technically, he would not have passed the physical.  I would think he would either be on the PR or a game-day scratch...
Game day scratch isn't an option for QBs, as the active roster can only have three QBs. The two scratches are always non-QBs. I suppose they could scratch those two and Manziel, but what would be the point?

And putting him on the PR would leave him open for another team to sign him.

The IL is the only way to protect a player not on the active roster.

blackandgld

That's all you took away from the report blackandgold posted?  It goes way beyond the criminal activity for me.  You don't have to look much further than the football field.
Sorry ExPat (and blackandgold), didn't read it.  Contrary to what my wife says, I have a life outside the Cats and this forum. :)

My belief is that a Heisman winning QB out of an American football factory is almost automatically somewhere in the NFL, unless he doesn't have one or more of the physical or mental attributes, talent, or skills.  Manziel isn't in the NFL, 'nuff said.  There is a problem there, somewhere.  No use confusing me with the facts, my mind's made up!
If you didn't read it how did you know the post mentioned a fake ID charge? :) ;)

stevehvh

I wouldn't touch him with a 20 foot pole. No matter how much natural talent he may have, (and that is acknowledged despite the reports about his technical shortcomings) I don't want a player who is a poor leader and teammate, arrogant, and has a me-first attitude. with a glitzy lifestyle to match. We've had our share of me-first players on the team. Will Hill is the most recent example. They are poison on a team.
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
- Hubert H. Humphrey

Palmer

If you didn't read it how did you know the post mentioned a fake ID charge? :) ;)
Fair enough!  The "Character" section caught my eye and the Incident heading spiked my curiosity.  You caught me out. 

But I do confess that the detailed scouting report looked too in-depth for my shallow football knowledge, and after the first line or so, I quit reading it, and did not attempt your synopsis.  I suppose I'm reading the tabloids at the supermarket checkout and ignoring the newspaper in the kiosk? ::) 

Krisiun

I not a fan of the Cats pursuing Manziel because it seems like a short-sited move. This guy probably thinks he will come up here and set all kinds of passing records in the bush-league CFL. Then the Patriots will open their wallets and pay him $15 million to replace a retiring Brady. Except that he will get a rude awakening when he can't handle the steep CFL learning curve. (waggle, extra DBs, shorter play clock, wider field. etc.)

I'd rather that the Cats invest in Masoli. The guy has progressed nicely in the last couple of years and with more starts and experience under his belt, he will be less prone to mistakes.

Users Online

107 Guests, 14 Users (17 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Oskie18, Mightygoose, TCHABS, Mark, KevinRiley2, Abendschan, dcmoses, steeltownguy, jim43bob, bobo82, sully, Johnny Ticat slayer, danoc_86, Google (17)

Most Online Today: 192. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)