Palmer

Do you think JFF would have done? ;)

mycko75

What I'm saying is once you get to the 10... It doesn't matter how many plays it took to get there.

We rank 6 of 9 in number of punts.... Meaning we are moving the ball despite bad starting position.

You can't blame bad starting position for poor red zone performance if you're still getting to the red zone.
Completely disagree Crash.

It's hard to sustain drives.  Not every play is successful.  If you have a long field and execute to get there, the law of averages will catch up to you and you will have unsuccessful plays.  Ours happen in the red zone. 

Field position is very important.  So important that teams will sacrifice points (a safety) in order to try to make the opposing team drive further.  There is a reason for that.  LONG DRIVES ARE HARDER TO SUSTAIN.
The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth.

Garney 26

Really Steve? Careful of the Masoli criticisms, someone will think your rooting for Johnny!

Grover

Ahh, so it's actually Masoli's fault that Toliver  dropped a pass thst hit him on the numbers. Who knew?
Would have been a superb catch if he got it

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

Garney 26

No Mycko. JFF would not have done.

Slomojo2005

Crash

Completely disagree Crash.

It's hard to sustain drives.  Not every play is successful.  If you have a long field and execute to get there, the law of averages will catch up to you and you will have unsuccessful plays.  Ours happen in the red zone.

Field position is very important.  So important that teams will sacrifice points (a safety) in order to try to make the opposing team drive further.  There is a reason for that.  LONG DRIVES ARE HARDER TO SUSTAIN.
Only way to substantiate that claim is if we had a stat on drives that start one one side of half vs the other AND end up getting inside of the 20. If there's a marginal difference in the numbers that result in TDs then id buy the argument. Until then I still maintain that the chances of scoring from the 10 are no different based on where you start. 

Simply saying that we would score more if we started with better field position isn't a theory I'm buying.

Onemoredork

Good news is a new excuse has been added to the arsenal.

Frustrated at play calling and QB decision making in scoring position?

Check where the drive started before you spout off, you negative nellies.

Palmer

If the length of the drive doesn’t matter, why do teams punt on third down?  Why not try for the first, and if unsuccessful, just hand over the ball?  Is the whole field position theory bogus?

Crash

If the length of the drive doesn’t matter, why do teams punt on third down?  Why not try for the first, and if unsuccessful, just hand over the ball?  Is the whole field position theory bogus?
Palmer: the discussion is around red zone production. All I'm trying to say is that once you end up on the 10 yard line... It doesn't matter if you starter from the 35...or your own 20. I completely agree if you're punting more than anyone else you aren't getting enough plus side possessions.

Palmer

Grant you that Crash, but I have to subsribe to the idea that long fields generally result in fewer scores than do short fields, otherwise, why punt?  Conversely, and almost counter to my previous statement, I can see that in defending the last 20 yards, you can put more bodies in tight spaces, hence the rationale for the ‘prevent’ defence, which BTW, I dislike.

I have no stats to prove it, but my gut reaction is that many times, yards gained in the red zone come from penalties or busted coverage.  In short, again with no stats to support me, I believe it is harder to score from a long field than a short one, and stops in the red zone usually follow long field, rather than, short field drives.

Katmandu

Toliver has to make that catch if he wants to continue to believe that he can't be denied. I know it's not easy but neither is a 9-5 job.  He's a pro.  He HAS to have that TD.  
Oskee Wa Wa!  Go Cats!

Killer91

Bad pass...inaccurate, shouldn't have hit him in the hands. Masoli's fault.
Hey did anyone watch Ottawa vs Calgary - that was painful quarterbacking and I include BLM - we are spoiled watching this guy - wait until the team puts it all together...lets hope say labour day on...!

ExPat

Bad pass...inaccurate, shouldn't have hit him in the hands. Masoli's fault.
Maybe you should start a new Masoli thread.

Espo

Maybe you should start a new Masoli thread.
MY KINGDOM FOR A LIKE BUTTON!
Extraordinary claims require extraodinary proofs

Users Online

92 Guests, 9 Users (17 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
ticat1, mycko75, Grover, Balticfox, TravelPat1, rshmglsky, TeddyFay, Google (AdSense) (6), Google (11)

Most Online Today: 156. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)