Killer91

Or maybe O'Billovich or Bellefeuille had a hand in it.  

Or it could have been Jamall Johnson or Dave Stala or D'Andra Cobb - they all joined the team in 2009.  Hard to say if you're going to attribute a turnaround to a single player.  We'd probably have to vote on it.

If Henry Burris gets a vote, he will say it was he that turned the franchise around, when he joined a team that had gone 8-11 (2011) and promptly helped it become a 6-12 team (2012).

One thing all of the above have in common (and Casey Printers too, for that matter), is that since they left the organization we have not won a Grey Cup.
I would agree about Bellefeuille, he got shafted a bit too after losing a pretty exciting ot game against BC when Printers had the game of his life at Ivor Wynne. (One of the best live games as far as atmosphere I can remember). Masoli is rekindling some of that excitement with his Flutie like moments.

Killer91

On another note, Masoli ran for more yards than all our running backs combined and it wasn't even close. Is he even human?
Definitely a Super Hero in my books - if he was playing out west, not only would he be 4-0, he would be a God! He out ran our closest running back by more the 40 yards! 
Are you serious, you want to call him mediocre?? He will be gone to NFL before Manziel, hands down.
Wish Manziel money was tied up in O-Line men, he might have ran for a hundred or more and not had to throw passes out of his a$$ while running for his life. (most of them perfect).

Krisiun

And don't forget the long-pass that he threw that Mike Jones stopped running for...

We have good receivers...we don't have GREAT receivers, and our guys seem to fail to come up with the big catches that other teams' receivers always make against is - like the Stanford catch on that last drive...

In fact, in a lot of cases, our WRs get thrown open by Masoli and that's what gets them a lot of yardage...Tolliver is a good WR...but he will never make the circus catch that will win us a game...neither will Saunders or Banks...they've already dropped big catches that could have won us games (Saunders last year against Sask at home on the last play)
Philly Canuck these are great observations. I'm not sure how some people cannot notice this. All 4 of the receivers not named Tasker can hardly be called "clutch". If Banks and Saunders make all the plays they are supposed to then Masoli would be on a streak of 400 yard games instead of just 300. How many of Masoli's incompletions were right in the mitts of the receiver only to see a drive stalled? If those catches are made we might have won all 4 games so far.

Krisiun

On another note, Masoli ran for more yards than all our running backs combined and it wasn't even close. Is he even human?
Definitely a Super Hero in my books - if he was playing out west, not only would he be 4-0, he would be a God! He out ran our closest running back by more the 40 yards!
Are you serious, you want to call him mediocre?? He will be gone to NFL before Manziel, hands down.
Wish Manziel money was tied up in O-Line men, he might have ran for a hundred or more and not had to throw passes out of his a$$ while running for his life. (most of them perfect).
Me and you are absolutely on the same page about Masoli but Super Hero and God might be a bit of a stretch. ;D

Killer91

Philly Canuck these are great observations. I'm not sure how some people cannot notice this. All 4 of the receivers not named Tasker can hardly be called "clutch". If Banks and Saunders make all the plays they are supposed to then Masoli would be on a streak of 400 yard games instead of just 300. How many of Masoli's incompletions were right in the mitts of the receiver only to see a drive stalled? If those catches are made we might have won all 4 games so far.
This is true, we must lead the league in drops hands down. Your being modest when you say 400 though.

Killer91

Me and you are absolutely on the same page about Masoli but Super Hero and God might be a bit of a stretch. ;D
Too funny, I agree, he's not quite there yet, we'll save that for the post labour day run!  I do think we have something special in him though and people can't seem to accept that and expect him to take a crap team a year ago to 18 and 0 or nothing less.  Last time I checked we were tied for first in the East.

Tipper

QB's are as good as their O-Line blocking and receivers ....Toliver shoulda caught the deep pass early in the game , Speedy didn't react well to the long ball thrown late in the game ,a good receiver would have got their hands on the ball.
 Toliver had his hands on the ball ...Tommy Joe Coffey would have caught both .....  
8)  How right you are about good old Tommy Joe,  he always used to say, if the ball touches your 
     hands at all,  you should always  make the catch !!

I just ran into Tommy Joe Coffey at Burlington Mall about a week ago !!

Had a good talk with him  reminiscing about the good old TiCat  days   :D :D

He was without a doubt, one of the all time CFL greats  :)

FormerlyTurkish

How about a few series with Masoli as the rb in a read option pckge.  Either qb has the option of run throw and Masoli can get some heavy yards if need be.

Palmer

Man, you fellows nailed it with your description of our receivers.  Hit them in the hands when they are wide open and you have maybe 9 chances in 10 they will hang on, especially Tasker and Tolliver.  Put them in tight coverage, have the pass a little off, and the percentage seems more like 50-50, or less.  We just don't see that "WOW" catch from our guys very often in a season, let alone a game.  On the plus side, YAC yards seem better this year, especially Tasker, who was formerly the catch it and drop to the ground guy, but now seems to look for the open field.

I think of our guys as "pass catchers" more than "receivers".  Tasker and Tolliver can run routes and get open, Banks and Saunders just run and it is up to the QB to find them and make the completion.  Jones is sporadic, better than some of our past Nationals, but certainly not even mentioned on the same page as Fantuz (except right now, of course).

bobo82

After 7 seasons and 27 starts this is the best we got. We're stuck with this mediocrity.
Last year at this time we were sitting at 0-4 with a 60-1 beat down looming on the horizon in game #5. We celebrated that humiliation by going out and losing another 3 games in a row before we decided to switch it up at QB and go mediocre . We've gone 8-6 since Mr Mediocre took over .

Yup I can see where having that other HC and that other QB who were both here at that time being much better and way above the mediocrity that we have now . I mean who wouldn't want to be 0-4 (going on 0-8 ) instead of 2-2 ? Maybe you would rather have a Drew Willy or a Jeff Mathews or a fill in the blank as our QB instead ?
15 GREY CUPS for HAMILTON BASED TEAMS

ExPat

Man, you fellows nailed it with your description of our receivers.  Hit them in the hands when they are wide open and you have maybe 9 chances in 10 they will hang on, especially Tasker and Tolliver.  Put them in tight coverage, have the pass a little off, and the percentage seems more like 50-50, or less.  We just don't see that "WOW" catch from our guys very often in a season, let alone a game. 
I've commented on this a few times in the past.

I think our guys are very good on the short-to-intermediate range catches, especially in heavy traffic.  I'd put Tasker up against anyone in the league.

But for reasons I do not understand, they don't make the spectacular catches on deep routes the way other teams' receivers do.  If someone put together a highlight reel of the 25 best deep catches over the past year, I'd be surprised if there were two Ticats plays shown.

As an example, Reilly seems to be increasingly reliant on throwing it up for grabs and hoping Duke Williams comes down with it.  For Masoli to complete a deep pass, it has to be near-perfectly thrown and the DB can't be close by.

Count Floyd

Partially agree.  Both Banks & Saunders, as well as Toliver, made some tough catches against Edmonton.  Tasker does it regularly, the others can be streaky.

Banks particularly impressed me with a couple he has made this year & toward the end of last year.  

DisplacedCatsFan

Partially agree.  Both Banks & Saunders, as well as Toliver, made some tough catches against Edmonton.  Tasker does it regularly, the others can be streaky.

Banks particularly impressed me with a couple he has made this year & toward the end of last year.  
With his antics this year, I would rather him make a catch (ie: put forth more effort) than always trying to draw a penalty.
Formerly sigpig

Velox Versutus Vigilans

R.I.P. Cpl Nathan Cirillo Albainn Gu Brath

Palmer

With his antics this year, I would rather him make a catch (ie: put forth more effort) than always trying to draw a penalty.
Speedy is looking more and more like a soccer player after his drops, or when effectively defended.  Running around with his arms out like he is looking to fly, presumably expecting the official to suddenly change his mind and call PI.

Do better to expend that energy by hanging on to the ball, or lugging it to the opposition end of the field.  For me, that’s coaching - should be telling him to knock it off.  Players play and officials officiate.

Krisiun

Speedy is looking more and more like a soccer player after his drops, or when effectively defended.  Running around with his arms out like he is looking to fly, presumably expecting the official to suddenly change his mind and call PI.

Do better to expend that energy by hanging on to the ball, or lugging it to the opposition end of the field.  For me, that’s coaching - should be telling him to knock it off.  Players play and officials officiate.
Sometimes they do it make the ref feel like they missed a call. That way later on the ref might be inclined to give them a break on a marginal call in order to make amends.

Users Online

96 Guests, 10 Users (20 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Lyle B. Style, FootbalYouBet, SeaFiddle, sully, rpaege, mycko75, VICIOUSCIRCLE, RM14, Google (AdSense) (6), Google (14)

Most Online Today: 156. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)