Eagle

Ed Gainey was terrific that game as was the entire SSK defense.
Defense is the strong point of the Riders
Which isn't really surprising because it is the strong point of a Chris Jones team.
After our opening drive, the Rider defense stopped the run and then made Masoli rushed and uncomfortable the rest of the game

They stopped all of our drives which ended with 4 FG's and a missed chip shot FG for 13 points total
Don't blame Ed Gainey for having a terrific game, and us losing because of it.
Blame instead the Coaching staff, who had the brilliance of actually letting him go.

The Eagle

Grover

Everything you guys say is true. I dont hate Masoli or love Johnny and i cheer hard and wish for Jeremiahas success as much as any fan. Hes not the kind if QB I want ti lead us to victory.
Maybe you should start a new thread about how Masoli is not the kind of QB you want to lead us to victory.  ???

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

Philly_Canuck

Then put him in a real game before your opinion.  Only one of us will ultimately prevail.  The 7 year project, or the new gun.
Seven-year project? Manziel is a five-year project...and hasn't done anything worth bragging about...Masoli has been practice-squad, 3rd or 2nd string 5 of the 7 years, and is FINALLY getting coached by a guy that believes in him...

Why throw a good QB back to the bench on a throw of the dice? Jones is using the guy he KNOWS gives him the best chance to win...

Grover

The defence allowed 12 points last night.  Not sure you can ask for much more.  I take it you're saying they should have allowed only 6 pts to give us a chance to win? Pretty tall order.

Net production from our offence (after deducting the Hughes TD) was 7 pts.  As we learned in CAL with 14 pts scored, you need more than that to win games.
We were pretty fortunate that Bridge fumbled at our 1" line or the score would/could have been 25 points allowed

Red zone offence - bad

Special teams - poor

Defence - not good enough

Overall grade - D minus

Philly_Canuck

Mid second quarter, scrimmaging at the SSK 52,he did put the ball in the end zone, through the close coverage of Carter, perfectly over the shoulder and into the hands of Toliver, who didn't hang on to it.  Masoli can't throw a strike and catch it too.  The WRs have to do their part.  Those in green made, at least, a couple of great catches in very, very close coverage.  It certainly wasn't Jeremiah's best game but he did throw for 333 yds., tying a league record, and was also the game's top rusher among 9 players, including 6 running backs, who carried the ball.  But, he didn't knock down that 29 yd. pass to Stanford, with just under a couple of minutes left in the game, and he didn't tackle Thigpen on that next play 34 yd. untouched TD run.  So, I guess it is his fault.  ::)
And don't forget the long-pass that he threw that Mike Jones stopped running for...

We have good receivers...we don't have GREAT receivers, and our guys seem to fail to come up with the big catches that other teams' receivers always make against is - like the Stanford catch on that last drive...

In fact, in a lot of cases, our WRs get thrown open by Masoli and that's what gets them a lot of yardage...Tolliver is a good WR...but he will never make the circus catch that will win us a game...neither will Saunders or Banks...they've already dropped big catches that could have won us games (Saunders last year against Sask at home on the last play)

Onemoredork

We were pretty fortunate that Bridge fumbled at our 1" line or the score would/could have been 25 points allowed

Red zone offence - bad

Special teams - poor

Overall grade - D minus
"Laid back leadership style" - Too laid back.

Holy Mackinaw

Everything you guys say is true. I dont hate Masoli or love Johnny and i cheer hard and wish for Jeremiahas success as much as any fan. Hes not the kind if QB I want ti lead us to victory.
I'm not sure I buy this Garney 26. You say you wish for JM's success but after an awesome performance on June 29 you posted one comment on the Masoli's Leash thread that stated "it's getting longer". After the loss last night You posted six comments stating that Masoli is mediocre, not elite, not good etc. IMHO, if you really are a Ti-Cat fan and don't hate Masoli, I would expect that there would be a little more balance between praise and criticism. 
Holy Mackinaw (formerly Tigereye)

Philly_Canuck

It is Mazolis fault. Hes just a backup. The game was his to win, not the soldiers, the general. He didnt put the ball in the endzone and it allowed Sask to eke out the win.
Yeah, but watch BLM in Calgary...a 100-yard field for him on a last drive, and he's not touched by the 'D'...Masoli got spooked last night, and, like ALL QBs, when pressured, he struggles...but he also lacks BIG PLAY receivers...Tolliver dropping the pass in the end zone over Carter (tough catch, yes, but one that every other team seems to make over us)...M Jones not running under a well-thrown pass...

You seem to think that Masoli can do it all himself...you think having a Devaris Daniels might help (made the catch when Herbert hit him in the head)?

Masoli WAS a back-up...like Reilly...like Harris...like Nichols...and he is growing into the position...like Reilly...like Harris...like Nichols...

Philly_Canuck

The defence allowed 12 points last night.  Not sure you can ask for much more.  I take it you're saying they should have allowed only 6 pts to give us a chance to win? Pretty tall order.

Net production from our offence (after deducting the Hughes TD) was 7 pts.  As we learned in CAL with 14 pts scored, you need more than that to win games.
But Masoli doesn't have a Stanford to make a catch for him...Tolliver and Jones NEED to make those catches on the long balls, and if they do, our 13 points are 23 or more...we don't have WRs that make the big catches at the big times, and in fact, it seems that every other team has at least one of those against us per game...

So no, the 'D' did well, though they didn't come up with a stop when they needed it...if Masoli is supposed to come through in the clutch, why not a DB? a LB?

This team is improving, but STILL doesn't make the plays that winners make when they have the chance...something J Jones has been saying since he got here...and it's more than the QB

Philly_Canuck

Red zone offence - bad

Special teams - poor

Overall grade - D minus
Good grading...

ExPat

So no, the 'D' did well, though they didn't come up with a stop when they needed it...if Masoli is supposed to come through in the clutch, why not a DB? a LB?
Yes, it would be great if our D could make the clutch stops.  Tendency in recent years has been that we let the other guys walk into the end zone on their final drive, which is why we need to be up by 9 or more in the last couple of minutes.  I'm hoping we move away from this recent tendency, among others.

But in the context of a 60-minute game, if the D is required to hold the other team to less than a converted TD or we lose ... then I'm sorry to say, we lose pretty much every time.

150GAGE

With respect to offence, we play great between the 20 yard lines, so lots of yards, very few points; and yes stats can lie.
Masoli just doesn't throw enough passes into the endzone.
He also doesn't throw the darts to the middle of the field, maybe cause we don't have a tight end type receiver - most passes are to the sidelines - Riders took this away brilliantly.
As I have said before, until Masoli can start having game winning drives, he is very Kevin Glen like. (I think Crash said this as well)
At this point Masoli is heads and tails above a back up; but has a long to go to be elite. 

Its victories that matter, stats are just fun trivia years later.

Our Oline was exposed even with max protect, that leaves fewer recievers to pass to.

I have to disagree with the grade given to Defence.  I would give them a grade of good.  If they want to be very good or excellent then they have to be ball hawks - I havent seen such a player on our D, as of yet. (Kind of like Legget of Bombers was a couple years back)

Killer91

For the record Kevin Glenn turned this franchise around, got dumped and we won zero grey cups after. I see a lot spectacular plays and some mistakes but 350 yards passing and 60 yards running. This thread show a number of people may be unstable on here. I'll take the winning streak after labour day. Even I didn't think Masoli would go 16-2.

ExPat

For the record Kevin Glenn turned this franchise around, got dumped and we won zero grey cups after. 
Or maybe O'Billovich or Bellefeuille had a hand in it.  

Or it could have been Jamall Johnson or Dave Stala or D'Andra Cobb - they all joined the team in 2009.  Hard to say if you're going to attribute a turnaround to a single player.  We'd probably have to vote on it.

If Henry Burris gets a vote, he will say it was he that turned the franchise around, when he joined a team that had gone 8-11 (2011) and promptly helped it become a 6-12 team (2012). 

One thing all of the above have in common (and Casey Printers too, for that matter), is that since they left the organization we have not won a Grey Cup.

Evil Doctor

Funny how I'm seeing names that I haven't seen in a couple of weeks...

I guess when they're happier trashing Masoli after a loss then they are when he's having great games against good teams....

Users Online

91 Guests, 13 Users (18 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
rpaege, FootbalYouBet, SeaFiddle, mycko75, VICIOUSCIRCLE, sully, RM14, ExPat, RedandWhite, Mightygoose, IceTheKicker, Google (AdSense) (4), Google (14)

Most Online Today: 156. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)