Krisiun

This thread is from last October. We had an entire off-season to fix it and now it's probably even worse. Our offence can't be expected to consistently produce points when they are starting most drives under their own goalposts. Cats need to find a shifty returner who can get you up around mid-field occasionally. So then the offence only needs a couple of 1st downs to get into field goal range.

What is the concensus here? Does the problem lie with STC McKnight's blocking schemes or with Tillman not finding the talent?

Tipper

This thread is from last October. We had an entire off-season to fix it and now it's probably even worse. Our offence can't be expected to consistently produce points when they are starting most drives under their own goalposts. Cats need to find a shifty returner who can get you up around mid-field occasionally. So then the offence only needs a couple of 1st downs to get into field goal range.

What is the concensus here? Does the problem lie with STC McKnight's blocking schemes or with Tillman not finding the talent?
8) Dennis McKnight is not the STC !!   He is the O Line coach.  The STC this year is Frank Ganz Jr.

Grover

When they put Banks back there in the 4th qtr, it actually got worse

Punt  returns

Frankie Williams
6 returns for 55yrds  - 9.2 yrds avg - longest 21yrds

Banks -
2 returns for -8yrds ,  -4yrds avg - longest 2yrds

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

ottawacat

How about putting them both back for punts, at the same time, for "option," since we're not getting optimum, returning?

150GAGE

Maybe we simply do not have the blockers, it appeared to me when we were effective in returns we could easily plug and play the returner with pretty good results. 
(Not taking anything away from Banks return ability)

bobo82

I'm not sure about  anyone else but hows about perhaps giving Quincy McDuffie a phone call ? The last time I checked he is still unemployed in football and available if need be . You never know he could just be the answer to our problems in the return game .
15 GREY CUPS for HAMILTON BASED TEAMS

Palmer

I wouldn't call our kick returning mediocre, I'd say it is terrible.  If fact, ST play in general is poor, both in coverage and in returning.  We need that fixed, fast.  I'd say it is a priority moving forward.

kfan

I'm with you Palmer the return game is beyond bad.  

They could put two men back maybe as a cure, OR they could put up a real rush on the kicker.  Or even both. I have not seen any pressure on any kick so far, in fact it seems the rushers are more intent on getting back to block.  Can't they continue to block after the kick?  If they can it would eliminate the swarm that appear down field.
Be who you are
Say what you feel
Those that matter don't mind
Those that mind don't matter

Krisiun

8) Dennis McKnight is not the STC !!   He is the O Line coach.  The STC this year is Frank Ganz Jr.
Thanks Tipper for pointing that out.

Coach Gansz Jr. is a new addition to the Cats and has only been on the job for about a month so far. According to his bio on the Cats page he appears to have quite an accomplished resume as a STC. Yet still something is not quite working out on the field.

http://ticats.ca/coaches/frank-gansz-jr/

DisplacedCatsFan

It's not the returners, it's the schemes and lack of blocking.
Well, Banks runs 100 yards per return, mostly sideways and backwards for a negative net result. 
ANY returner will have poor returns with the poor blocking and penalties that have been happening...
Formerly sigpig

Velox Versutus Vigilans

R.I.P. Cpl Nathan Cirillo Albainn Gu Brath

ExPat

Thanks Tipper for pointing that out.

Coach Gansz Jr. is a new addition to the Cats and has only been on the job for about a month so far. According to his bio on the Cats page he appears to have quite an accomplished resume as a STC. Yet still something is not quite working out on the field.

http://ticats.ca/coaches/frank-gansz-jr/
Perhaps returning a punt poses a bigger challenge than raising your hand and saying "please don't tackle me."

Dr.Whiskey

If only it was just the punt returning.... Kickoff returns are garbage, Lawrence flat out visibly slow and weak. Penalties whenever something goes sorta right, blocked punt, pretty short kickoffs and punts, missed field goal and extra points. We give up big chunks of return yds or it's a shoestring TD saver tackle... New coach gotta do something way different

ottawacat

Perhaps returning a punt poses a bigger challenge than raising your hand and saying "please don't tackle me."
Post of the day, ExPat.  :D

ExPat

Post of the day, ExPat.  :D
I was worried that our coaching staff was too light on Canadian experience, and that this would hurt us.  

I’ve been proven wrong on O and D (I think), but so far not on ST.  

Krisiun

That's what the Cats pay Tillman and Gansz Jr. to figure out. 8)

Users Online

73 Guests, 0 Users (11 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Google (11)

Most Online Today: 114. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)