CatsFaninOttawa

"Consultant" is a title often given to someone who is no longer a meaningful part of the organization but who insists on hanging around to collect a salary due under a contract. Most self-respecting employees in that situation would negotiate a termination agreement with the employer and avoid the
professional humiliation that comes with being a "consultant" who is never consulted!

Wait a sec.  wasn’t June Jones originally brought in as an offensive consultant or the like?    He got promoted shortly after when the HC left his position. Maybe the consulting position is a stepping stone!  
It's definitely a stepping stone. But stepping stones can be used in either direction.

Lennywasout

My take...

When Austin went all in and made Collaros the highest (over)paid player in the league, Austin's future with this organization became entirely dependent upon the success of Collaros and Austin in bringing a Grey Cup to Hamilton. Nothing less would be acceptable given the huge commitment that the organization handed to Collaros.

The beginning of the end for Austin occurred when Collaros lashed out and humiliated Austin on the sidelines on national TV during the blowout loss to the Argos last year. That episode ended all speculation about the relationship between the two and, in my opinion, began the countdown to Austin's demise.

Austin became redundant in the organization once he was no longer HC. From that point on he has been excess baggage in my opinion. His football resume did not justify him being handed the title of V-P Football Operations from day one.

"Consultant" is a title often given to someone who is no longer a meaningful part of the organization but who insists on hanging around to collect a salary due under a contract. Most self-respecting employees in that situation would negotiate a termination agreement with the employer and avoid the
professional humiliation that comes with being a "consultant" who is never consulted!

You really don’t like Austin do you.  I think you’re a little one sided and harsh in your statement.  Tillman was hired originally as a consultant.  He has a contract. He could easily get his full pay to the end of his contract without negotiating anything and leaving now.  It’s called constructive dismissal. 
They likely saved money day one having him wear all those hats. May not have been the best way to organize but that’s what Mitchell decided. Just like his decision to now have a committee to manage instead of one person.
 Easy fir you to criticize at this point in time.  

6ft6ofgoodness

My take...

When Austin went all in and made Collaros the highest (over)paid player in the league, Austin's future with this organization became entirely dependent upon the success of Collaros and Austin in bringing a Grey Cup to Hamilton. Nothing less would be acceptable given the huge commitment that the organization handed to Collaros.

The beginning of the end for Austin occurred when Collaros lashed out and humiliated Austin on the sidelines on national TV during the blowout loss to the Argos last year. That episode ended all speculation about the relationship between the two and, in my opinion, began the countdown to Austin's demise.

Austin became redundant in the organization once he was no longer HC. From that point on he has been excess baggage in my opinion. His football resume did not justify him being handed the title of V-P Football Operations from day one.

Austin initially from 2013-2015 brought on-field stability to a team where it was so desperately lacking. But in my opinion, his downfall started with the falling out he and offensive co-ordinator Condell had weeks before the 2016 training camp, leading to the latter’s sudden resignation. Collaros’ play was affected and the Ticats’ offense and entire team play hasn’t been the same since.

Grover

Austin initially from 2013-2015 brought on-field stability to a team where it was so desperately lacking. But in my opinion, his downfall started with the falling out he and offensive co-ordinator Condell had weeks before the 2016 training camp, leading to the latter’s sudden resignation. Collaros’ play was affected and the Ticats’ offense and entire team play hasn’t been the same since.
I agree, This exactly. ^^^
It was the beginning of the end!  :(

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

stevehvh

I agree also. Condell seems to have been integral to the Austin-Collaros era offence.

If I recall correctly, Orlondo S was named assistant head coach around that time. None of us knows the reason for the falling out, but I always wondered whether Condell, Austin's protégé from Cornell, resented not being given the nod, and bolted in anger over that slight. Who said what, and how it was perceived, only those involved really know.

I've seen many organisations experience the same sort of thing... One change seems to be the start of a process with a snowball effect that results in a major overhaul or total redesign. At the time, the initial event seems relatively innocuous, but in retrospect the major results look inevitable. Unintended consequences often have greater impact than the planned ones.

And isn't it curious how the loop has closed: Collaros traded away, Austin on his way out, Condell on his feet in Toronto though in no better role, and Orlondo-- got the nod at the time, then quit, then came back, and looks to be the anointed heir. 

How must they each reflect on the events of the last few years, and what might have been, if other decisions had been made a short while ago.
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
- Hubert H. Humphrey

Lennywasout

Stevehvh......well said👍

guelphcatsfan

My take...

Austin initially from 2013-2015 brought on-field stability to a team where it was so desperately lacking. But in my opinion, his downfall started with the falling out he and offensive co-ordinator Condell had weeks before the 2016 training camp, leading to the latter’s sudden resignation. Collaros’ play was affected and the Ticats’ offense and entire team play hasn’t been the same since.
I think these two posts sum it up nicely.  The loss of Condell, and the inability for management to compensate for that loss, coupled with the injury to Zach led to the end of the Austin era. 

Looking forward to this season!

KennyPowers

If Collaros hadn't gotten injured and when he was healthy played up to his potential... even a percentage of it, we wouldn't be having this conversation. You guys are probably 100% correct about the Condell situation beginning the snowball but ultimately Austin hitched ALL his wagons to Collaros and Collaros was a flat out disaster.

And just for the heck of it... Collaros was way out of line yelling at Austin on the sideline. I don't care if a person dislikes Austin or not. That can't happen. It can happen in the locker room... maybe, but never during a game. Can you imagine Brady yelling at Bellichick, Brees at Payton, Marino at Shula, Montana at Walsh... you get my point.
"I remember promising myself that, should I live, I would rise up to meet this new challenge [of fundraising for cancer research] face to face and prove myself worthy of life, something too many people take for granted." - Terry Fox

Slomojo2005

If Collaros hadn't gotten injured and when he was healthy played up to his potential... even a percentage of it, we wouldn't be having this conversation. You guys are probably 100% correct about the Condell situation beginning the snowball but ultimately Austin hitched ALL his wagons to Collaros and Collaros was a flat out disaster.

And just for the heck of it... Collaros was way out of line yelling at Austin on the sideline. I don't care if a person dislikes Austin or not. That can't happen. It can happen in the locker room... maybe, but never during a game. Can you imagine Brady yelling at Bellichick, Brees at Payton, Marino at Shula, Montana at Walsh... you get my point.
Agreed but one correction.  What happened with Collaros was unfortunate, not a “flat out disaster”.  Injuries happen and bodies don’t all recover as one would like them to.   You make it sound like he got signed to a big contract and then underperformed from day one.  Don’t forget that not for the injury, Grey Cup 2015 was probably ours with Zack! 

KennyPowers

Agreed but one correction.  What happened with Collaros was unfortunate, not a “flat out disaster”.  Injuries happen and bodies don’t all recover as one would like them to.   You make it sound like he got signed to a big contract and then underperformed from day one.  Don’t forget that not for the injury, Grey Cup 2015 was probably ours with Zack!
Fair enough. I meant more the end result and last year was a disaster. Not the entirety of his tenure.

ExPat

People learned everything they need to know about Collaros and about Austin from three seconds of TV footage in one football game in 2017.  Here's what Drew Edwards wrote at the time:

Speaking of Collaros, his numbers were terrible – 201 yards on 21 of 34 passing and a pick – but he had precious little time to throw the football (he was sacked three times). He came off field in the second quarter, after yet another failed drive, the TSN cameras caught him yelling in frustration.

After the game Collaros clarified that his ire wasn’t directed at Austin.

“I was just frustrated,” Collaros said. “It was a conversation about the wrong personnel being in the game.”

Could have been directed at a teammate, or another coach.  I really don't know.  Was it justified?  I have no idea - maybe someone completely missed an assignment.  Obviously Zach was frustrated.  You could argue that part of a "leadership" role is keeping teammates in line when they falter.  Perhaps it was the wrong way to do it.  Perhaps it happens a lot, and this time, by chance, it was captured by TSN and broadcast live.

But congratulations to everyone out there who has figured out all of the things I didn't in that three seconds, and used it to reach final conclusions about the career trajectories of two men.

TravelPat1

Hmm. A sideline argument between a QB and a coach is the sign of the start of the end?  Somebody forgot to to tell Tom Brady that. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wYcMnxkc0o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhh9YmpKmlE

ottawacat

Hmm. A sideline argument between a QB and a coach is the sign of the start of the end?  Somebody forgot to to tell Tom Brady that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wYcMnxkc0o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhh9YmpKmlE
Did you notice who Brady's intended receiver was in that first video?  A familiar face, or ..... hairdo.

Palmer

Yeah, these are high-strung competitive people playing an adrenaline and testosterone fuelled sport.  I'm guessing there is a lot of anger inspired yelling going on, for example, Mike Reilly's tirade with his O-line in that loss to Hamilton, and Jason Maas' explosion with the officials.  Not to mention Wally Buono, Chris Jones and Dave Dickenson.  They all seem to have hung on to their jobs?

I'd guess the $500,000+ salary producing an 0-8 season record and an 0-12 skid more likely played a bigger part in the departures than a short, albeit televised, yelling match.

Slomojo2005

Fair enough. I meant more the end result and last year was a disaster. Not the entirety of his tenure.
👍🏼

Users Online

77 Guests, 8 Users (10 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
TravelPat1, Cool, sully, prairiewolf77, DisplacedCatsFan, Evil Doctor, sth1988, batkinson001, Google (10)

Most Online Today: 137. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)