KennyPowers

So I'm guessing this is the Ticats way of making sure he gets a paycheck until the next HC gig comes available. A lot of negativity about the situation but here's my take and *gasp* it's positive all the way around. Kent did the honorable and stand up thing when he stepped down from the HC job and gave it to someone else. That had to be difficult and he handled it like a good guy and a professional. For that sacrifice and decency the Ticats are being honorable here by making sure he gets a check until his next job comes. They know he's leaving and paying him anyway for his self sacrifice and loyalty. This situation could not have been handled any better imo.
"I remember promising myself that, should I live, I would rise up to meet this new challenge [of fundraising for cancer research] face to face and prove myself worthy of life, something too many people take for granted." - Terry Fox

PatLynch

I hope this move is not health related. Austin has carried a heavy work load over  his years in Hamilton . Good luck in your new position Kent Austin . :)

Pat Lynch (the old guy)

stevehvh

So I'm guessing this is the Ticats way of making sure he gets a paycheck until the next HC gig comes available. A lot of negativity about the situation but here's my take and *gasp* it's positive all the way around. Kent did the honorable and stand up thing when he stepped down from the HC job and gave it to someone else. That had to be difficult and he handled it like a good guy and a professional. For that sacrifice and decency the Ticats are being honorable here by making sure he gets a check until his next job comes. They know he's leaving and paying him anyway for his self sacrifice and loyalty. This situation could not have been handled any better imo.
I agree with you and Pat Lynch. 

I appreciate Kent's efforts with the Ticats, on the sidelines and in the office.  I hope things go very well for him, wherever his career moves take him. 
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
- Hubert H. Humphrey

DisplacedCatsFan

He'll get his cheque regardless until the end of his contract, if not a buyout.  If people actually read and comprehended the articles, they would know that he's still the point-man for the Manziel negotiations.  I going to assume that Sean Burke (Assistant General Manager and Director of Football Operations) may be getting a promotion to VP-FO. 
Formerly sigpig

Velox Versutus Vigilans

R.I.P. Cpl Nathan Cirillo Albainn Gu Brath

Grover

Rick Zamprin on CHML Bill Kelly Show this morning

"He's (Kent Austin) got one foot out the door."

"This is the natural progression to wean him (Kent Austin) off this football team."

"This is now @CoachJuneJones' team. In the future it's going to be @Coach22O's team."

"The term 'consultant' is vague. He (Austin) can be a consultant from Louisiana. He doesn't have to stay here."

On who would now have final say on football decisions: "I would think it starts with (GM Eric) Tillman. You can call him a 1A and June Jones a 1B."

"That's going to be the interesting thing. Say June Jones wants Manziel on the team. Goes to Eric Tillman and Scott Mitchell. The discussion becomes term & price. Who takes the blame and the credit on what happens after?"

"Tillman is the trigger man here. Jones has the plan and then says to Tillman, "Now get guys like this."

"It's getting to be fun and it's not even June yet."

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

Krisiun

This is the most drawn-out farewell ever.  
Mitchell has always seemed to have a massive fondness for Austin. I don't think Mitchell could bear firing Austin outright. They didn't want to see the media headline "Austin Fired" so to spare Kent some dignity he is reassigned to consultant. Could be seen as a classy move by the Cats.

ottawacat

To me, there's no question "who would now have final say on football decisions."
It's the same guy who's had it for, at least, the past eight, or likely more, months.  And, his name doesn't appear among those listed by the club under Football Operations or Coaching Staff.  ::)

Palmer

I think KennyP and PatL nailed it.  The consultant role thanks Kent for his time with the Cats, grants the club open access to his knowledge and advice, and leaves Kent free to easily step away if another opportunity comes along.

Ya know, they love Kent in Saskatchewan, wouldn’t that be a fascinating destination, reuniting Kent and Zach, alongside Jones the Younger?  Just wildly speculating over here.

FormerlyTurkish

We will probably never be sure about why coach O left but I think its clear with KA going going gone now that he's back this will be coach O' s team sometime in the future.

This move may have been in the works a long time. 

Rememember the chatter about players not coming back if KA was back. Despite opinions to the contrary this move may have been about that chatter

150GAGE

Kent will be at the top of the list of every team looking for a coach.
I think Kent enjoys coaching more than the GM role.....but does not like to answer to another GM. 

schmenger

Kent was doing fine with good support staff such as Coach O and Tommy Condell. When they both left his true colors emerged. 

Krisiun

Ya know, they love Kent in Saskatchewan, wouldn’t that be a fascinating destination, reuniting Kent and Zach, alongside Jones the Younger?  Just wildly speculating over here.
I don't believe that would work. Last I remember reading was that Austin and Collaros weren't on very good terms towards the end of last season. Plus I don't think Jones would like Austin challenging his authority.

ExPat

Well, Chris Jones is more of a defence guy.  Maybe he could use some help on the other side.  But that said, there is only so much oxygen available in any given room (or football field) to fuel the egos of guys like them.  

seymour

My take...

When Austin went all in and made Collaros the highest (over)paid player in the league, Austin's future with this organization became entirely dependent upon the success of Collaros and Austin in bringing a Grey Cup to Hamilton. Nothing less would be acceptable given the huge commitment that the organization handed to Collaros.

The beginning of the end for Austin occurred when Collaros lashed out and humiliated Austin on the sidelines on national TV during the blowout loss to the Argos last year. That episode ended all speculation about the relationship between the two and, in my opinion, began the countdown to Austin's demise.

Austin became redundant in the organization once he was no longer HC. From that point on he has been excess baggage in my opinion. His football resume did not justify him being handed the title of V-P Football Operations from day one.

"Consultant" is a title often given to someone who is no longer a meaningful part of the organization but who insists on hanging around to collect a salary due under a contract. Most self-respecting employees in that situation would negotiate a termination agreement with the employer and avoid the 
professional humiliation that comes with being a "consultant" who is never consulted!

Slomojo2005

My take...

When Austin went all in and made Collaros the highest (over)paid player in the league, Austin's future with this organization became entirely dependent upon the success of Collaros and Austin in bringing a Grey Cup to Hamilton. Nothing less would be acceptable given the huge commitment that the organization handed to Collaros.

The beginning of the end for Austin occurred when Collaros lashed out and humiliated Austin on the sidelines on national TV during the blowout loss to the Argos last year. That episode ended all speculation about the relationship between the two and, in my opinion, began the countdown to Austin's demise.

Austin became redundant in the organization once he was no longer HC. From that point on he has been excess baggage in my opinion. His football resume did not justify him being handed the title of V-P Football Operations from day one.

"Consultant" is a title often given to someone who is no longer a meaningful part of the organization but who insists on hanging around to collect a salary due under a contract. Most self-respecting employees in that situation would negotiate a termination agreement with the employer and avoid the
professional humiliation that comes with being a "consultant" who is never consulted!

Wait a sec.  wasn’t June Jones originally brought in as an offensive consultant or the like?    He got promoted shortly after when the HC left his position. Maybe the consulting position is a stepping stone!  

Users Online

96 Guests, 2 Users (14 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Grover, bobo82, Google (14)

Most Online Today: 113. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)