Crash

You can't be happy with any of the news this off-season without giving the VP of Football Operations his due credit....

- Resigned June Jones

- moved Collaros and the contract and
actually received good value for it.

- didn't keep him in the East.

- resign Masoli when many figured he'd take big money from Montreal

- resign a guy that was quoted as saying he wouldn't if Kent was even here. No ego... Just went out and got the deal done for the better of the team.

- keep and develop Jeremiah Masoli through the rough start to his career to making him a starter now.

You can attribute the rest of this offseason to him too... Cause it's his job.

All the guy has done since coming here is try his absolute best to bring this city and these fans a Grey Cup and many of you accused him of everything up to and including the Kennedy assassination.

Every decision he has made has been with the intent of Hamilton winning the Grey Cup. Right or wrong.

It's time to put last season behind us as well as the empty threats of boycott, conspiracy theory and finger pointing and get down to cheering this team on. And that includes Kent Austin.

You can't be happy with where this team sits today and not credit Kent.

Onemoredork

Fans are pretty consistent here. When someone has to be blamed and a villain is needed there is no going back. Facts do not matter.

my home team

And let's not forget the job he did in the first three years here as the head coach.

Crash, unfortunately, there are those who refuse to see the facts and can ONLY find fault with Kent Austin.

Thank you for the effort and the information.

Can I add a well said?

PatLynch

And let's not forget the job he did in the first three years here as the head coach.

Crash, unfortunately, there are those who refuse to see the facts and can ONLY find fault with Kent Austin.

Can I add a well said?
Indeed that is a very well said .  Austin and Tillman are football guys. They know what they're doing . Whether you are a people person or not, eventually you retire or get fired . Coach Bill Belichick is not a warm and fuzzy guy with the press but he knows what he's doing . Austin was praised when the Cats were winning but has been dumped upon recently for the losses . That is part of the sports business but the personal attacks should not be .  "To live in the past is to die in the present" so we're on to Cincinnati or Regina .

Pat Lynch (the old guy)

stevehvh

Can I add a well said?
I agree. Thanks for the reminder, Crash.
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
- Hubert H. Humphrey

Lennywasout

Can I add a well said?
I agree. Thanks for the reminder, Crash.
Gotta say I didn’t like Austin in the media scrums but I have always been a supporter of him being in this organization.  I hope he doesn’t leave and continues to drive towards a championship.  He and Tillman must have a ton of contacts throughout the NCAA & NFL to find talent.  

tcmike

He has provided many sound bytes, sports centre clips and less than profession behaviour but he has also given us a chance to win. His coaching has little to be desired but he has made some smart football moves. I hope he delivers us a Cup.
Best Game\'s ever. 1986 game 2 Ticat Argo Home and Home East final series and 1998 Eastern Final Hamilton VS Montreal.

safetyblitz

You can't be happy with any of the news this off-season without giving the VP of Football Operations his due credit....

- Resigned June Jones
Austin himself said that the June Jones deal was handled by Scott Mitchell. Whether you like Austin or not, the single most important move of this off-season, the re-signing of Jones, was specifically *out* of his hands.

2ez

x100 Couldn't have said it better myself. 

SteelCitySteve

- Resigned June Jones

- didn't keep him in the East.

- resign a guy that was quoted as saying he wouldn't if Kent was even here. No ego... Just went out and got the deal done for the better of the team.

- keep and develop Jeremiah Masoli through the rough start to his career to making him a starter now.

You can attribute the rest of this offseason to him too... Cause it's his job.

All the guy has done since coming here is try his absolute best to bring this city and these fans a Grey Cup and many of you accused him of everything up to and including the Kennedy assassination.

Every decision he has made has been with the intent of Hamilton winning the Grey Cup. Right or wrong.

It's time to put last season behind us as well as the empty threats of boycott, conspiracy theory and finger pointing and get down to cheering this team on. And that includes Kent Austin.

You can't be happy with where this team sits today and not credit Kent.
I've always maintained Austin is an asset to the organization. The Team was lost in the wilderness for a good 10+ years until Kent arrived. People forget so easily and the first sign of trouble they want the guy gone. I echo the sentiments, THANK YOU Kent!

But I have to call a spade a spade, I have one criticism:

The Collaros contract was given by Kent, which given Zac's track record at the time (almost non existent) didn't have to be so rich. A more reasonable deal would have allowed us to retain some of the other talent we lost in the intervening years, and, may have allowed the team to keep Zac going forward. At $540, 000, we tied our own hands and had to trade him. Basically, Austin undid his own error here.

I'll also add that the Collaros contract forced us to trade away Burris, which I felt was an error at the time. We didn't know if Zac was going to be that good and I thought Burris, who had us in the GC the year prior, was really good insurance.

Have terms of this deal been made public? I have no idea what Masoli signed for.....if he got him at the right price, then its a good move. If it was another overpay, we may have just locked ourselves out of signing Manziel.

Lennywasout

Manziel should be had for the CFL min. year one with incentives if he actually starts at some point.  He’s unproven in the CFL. Should not effect our cap space much. Year two based on earning a starting position should be more in line with starters pay.  

Crash

The Collaros contract was given by Kent, which given Zac's track record at the time (almost non existent) didn't have to be so rich. A more reasonable deal would have allowed us to retain some of the other talent we lost in the intervening years, and, may have allowed the team to keep Zac going forward. At $540, 000, we tied our own hands and had to trade him. Basically, Austin undid his own error here.
At the time 540 was a lot - it was also back loaded.
Regardless, if it was 440 we would have been in the same situation.

I get your point - hard to credit someone with fixing his own error, but I believe its less of an error and more bad luck with the injury itself. If Zach doesn't get hurt and wins MOP and the Grey Cup, the contract isn't being discussed as bad even if the team still imploded and was still traded in 2018.

Espo

He has provided many sound bytes, sports centre clips and less than profession behaviour but he has also given us a chance to win. His coaching has little to be desired but he has made some smart football moves. I hope he delivers us a Cup.
Just curious, but what are these "less than profession(al) behaviour" are we talking about here?  

Maybe its me, but I always found him to be be too friendly and revealing in most media scrums.  
Extraordinary claims require extraodinary proofs

tcmike

Just curious, but what are these "less than profession(al) behaviour" are we talking about here?  

Maybe its me, but I always found him to be be too friendly and revealing in most media scrums.  
Oh I don't know, hitting a ref, shoulder shoving Dave Stalla, losing his mind on the sideline

Crash

Oh I don't know, hitting a ref, shoulder shoving Dave Stalla, losing his mind on the sideline
Other than the Stala nudge - id say the Harbaugh in him isn't a terrible thing. Its how it is. He was a competitive Grey Cup Winning QB.

Users Online

113 Guests, 5 Users (10 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
rpaege, schmenger, AlsPal, J5V, Google (9), Baidu

Most Online Today: 177. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)