canadianfootballfan

Abdul Kanneh a prime DB and former all star to our biggest rivals the Argos for an 8th round pick aka for free. Yet another give away for Tillman in a few short months, who is eager to steal the title of worst GM from Kavis Reed
I agree, what's Tillman doing, we had a garbage team last year and He's giving away assets for nothing.??
He should be building a winner with the best and most proven players available. Is this season going to be another Laugher ?
You don't get it...  they were going to cut him anyway, so they got something for him rather than nothing.

It was reported that he was getting less and less 1st teams reps in camp, as it seems he struggled with man cover - which the new D is heavy on.

It's as if you guys think a professional football GM is in the business of helping other teams.  Ridiculous.

Caretaker

4+ hours late as of this post.  Fine coming?
The league would only fine the team if they didn't receive the list of cuts by the deadline. But we don't know when that happened.

It's possible that the team delayed making the list public so they could ensure that all affected players had been notified.
That's an astute guess.   With the Als-Ticats' last game ending Saturday at 3pm it meant that both those teams had less than a day to both decide their final cuts and handle all the (difficult) conversations.   The rest of the league finished up Friday night giving them all day Saturday for the same chores.

canadianfootballfan

To be fair...  better to release it late than on time with a player listed that they actually wanted to keep.  *cough* Montreal *cough*

BoLtZ

pick for a guy we were gonna cut , he stunk at camp is a good trade

HfxTC

Abdul Kanneh a prime DB and former all star to our biggest rivals the Argos for an 8th round pick aka for free. Yet another give away for Tillman in a few short months, who is eager to steal the title of worst GM from Kavis Reed
CFL trades now are not about receiving fair value, they are about moving around money.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.

canadianfootballfan

CFL trades now are not about receiving fair value, they are about moving around money.
Exactly!

hendy77

I think it's a great trade. Getting anything for someone we were going to cut is huge.

If the Argos were smart...they just had to wait 4 hours and get him for nothing.

Legs Feed the Wolf!

safetyblitz

If the Argos were smart...they just had to wait 4 hours and get him for nothing.
No guarantee they would have gotten him. As defending GC champs, I assume they're last in the waiver priority order.

bobo82

It was basically a two for one trade . What I mean when I say that is the team ended up being able to keep 2 of their young rookie DB's on entry level contracts when combined was basically approx what Kanneh's contract was for . I agree getting only an 8th round pick for him sounds like peanuts but when you factor in that he was going to be in all likelihood one of our final cuts anyways ? Getting an 8th rounder is better than getting nothing for him . Plus add in the fact that it allowed the team to keep 2 of the 4 imp rookie DB's ( Evans , Williams , Rolle , Green ) for the same price that it would've cost to keep Kanneh around and it's not a bad deal at all when you look at it that way .
15 GREY CUPS for HAMILTON BASED TEAMS

blackandgld

I am fine with the coaches assembling what they percieve as the best team. I for one have a hard time seeing that Kanneh is not good enough to start and 2 what is the team doing with all the salary cap that has been cut in the last 12 months?

Gable, Chick, Kanneh, Collaros were all big time tickets and their replacements come in much cheaper.

safetyblitz

I am fine with the coaches assembling what they percieve as the best team. I for one have a hard time seeing that Kanneh is not good enough to start and 2 what is the team doing with all the salary cap that has been cut in the last 12 months?
It's easy to find places to spend *more* on salary, hard to find places to spend less. So you spend less wherever you can make it work. In particular, if a guy is getting paid "difference-maker" money, and he ain't making a difference, then it doesn't make sense to keep him. Re-signing guys like Banks, Laurent, Tasker, and Dean took money. Masoli's updated deal makes him more expensive than he was a year ago. You can bet Hajrullahu is being well paid.

Palmer

No guarantee they would have gotten him. As defending GC champs, I assume they're last in the waiver priority order.
Don’t see Popp make too many mistakes on player selection and recruitment.  Kanneh must fit Trestman’s or Archer’s defensive schemes, Popp would know him from Montreal days, and he didn’t cost a player off the roster.  If they are wrong, probably just release him.  Looks like a good deal, on that end, anyway.

ExPat

What bothers me isn't the decision to trade a guy they were going to cut anyway.  Obviously getting something is better than getting nothing.

What bothers me is that a player who is a star elsewhere somehow can't play here.  I'm sure Ottawa didn't play zone-only when Kanneh was an all-star and Grey Cup hero 18 months ago.  Suddenly the guy can't cover man-to-man?  Emanuel Davis also suddenly lost his abilities last year.

If both Kanneh and Davis end up starting and playing well for TOR and CAL, the excitement of salary cap savings (yay!) may not be enough to make us forget them.  (However two star rookies would help - I sure hope we've found them.)

-Hammer-

Who needs former CFL all-stars on our team anyway?
If he was still playing at that level then he would still have a job.

As to how "horrible" this trade is...  he didn't make the team, and was about to be released.  Better an 8th round pick than nothing at all.  Drew Allemang has grabbed us some great players that late in the draft before.  Like Mike Daly.
Fans: "We need to get get better. We need to bring in more talent. Team is sitting on its hands."

Reality : "Ok. But in order to do so we need to cut salary. Talent costs money."

Fans : " Yeah. Why did we sign player x to such a big contract anyway ? He doesnt do anything... Cut the deadwood."

Reality: "We traded player y and released player x today to make room and improve."

Fans: "Wait ! What ! You traded who? Why did you cut him !?. Arrrrgh. This team will never get better with decisions like this. I've been a season ticket holder for 85 years and Im cancelling...."

Reality: "But you said you wanted..."

The saga continues.
Except we already cut Zach's monstrous salary, CJ Gable, Jon Chick, Andy Fantuz and reworked Masoli's deal so he's making consistent money, instead of large sums on starts (as most 2nd string QBs typically have). So....why exactly are we still cutting and sitting on our hands during free agency? If we still need to make cap room after those cuts, then something is very wrong. 

I should also note, I did mention Kaneh to be traded for something during free agency (when he was likely worth more) in favor of pursuing Tank Reed in free agency (albeit on a lower priority then getting a new RB and shoring up our ratio) in the biggest error of 2018 thread. Funny how that worked out eh? Save now we can't go after Reed and are hoping for a cast off, a new player step up or an NFL cut.

safetyblitz

Save now we can't go after Reed and are hoping for a cast off, a new player step up or an NFL cut.
Tank Reed and Larry Dean play the same position, and Dean was a divisional all-star last year. We don't have a vacancy for Tank Reed. The only uncertainty in our LB corps is at SAM, a position Reed isn't fast enough to play.

Users Online

103 Guests, 14 Users (26 Spiders, 3 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
TheCrazyCatLady, Mightygoose, Katmandu, KevinRiley2, schmenger, of course, rshmglsky, VICIOUSCIRCLE, greenandwhite, MadJack, jim43bob, Google (AdSense) (5), Google (21)

Most Online Today: 182. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)