Mark

Here's the content of email:

Hello Mark,

Today, I write to you with overwhelming feelings of excitement and optimism to inform you that I will indeed return as the head coach of your Hamilton Tiger-Cats. The unwavering support from season seat holders, like you, is what makes this one of the best jobs in the business.

Time flies, doesn’t it?

It feels like the Labour Day Classic was just a few short weeks ago. I’ll never forget that big win against Toronto in front of our home crowd at Tim Hortons Field in my first official game as head coach of the Tiger-Cats. Now, with a snap of the fingers, we’re on the verge of another holiday season, which I’m looking forward to spending with family and loved ones.

When Scott Mitchell and Kent Austin reached out to me in July about joining the organization as an assistant head coach, I’d be lying if I said I thought it would turn out the way it did. The 2017 season certainly had its peaks and valleys, but I’m proud of the way our coaches and players came together to finish the season on a high note.

There is a significant amount of work to be done as we prepare for the 2018 CFL season. Some difficult decisions have yet to be made, but we are excited about the opportunities for our team to continue to grow and develop to deliver a consistent winning environment and championship calibre team that this organization, its fans and partners deserve.

I couldn’t be more thrilled for the chance to play a part in bringing a Grey Cup championship back to this city. The fan base here in Hamilton is just as passionate as the players competing on the field, and that’s rare. When I first got to Hamilton, people tried to explain to me about the culture here, but I had to see it to believe it. There’s something special going on in Hamilton, and that’s what made my decision to return as your head coach so easy; a privilege I don’t take lightly.

Thank you for your support last season. When times were tough, it was people like you who helped us get back on our feet and turn this thing around. I encourage you to join us again next season at Tim Hortons Field as we look to build off of the momentum we have in our corner. I want you to be proud of this team. Proud to wear your black and gold, with that leaping tiger on your chest!

Let’s get to work.

Sincerely,

June Jones
Head Coach, Hamilton Tiger-Cats Football Club

stevehvh

Wonderful news. I hope he stays several years. I look forward very much to next season under his guidance.

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
- Hubert H. Humphrey

ExPat

Overall I am happy about this, for the same reasons that many others have stated.  The team certainly played much better under Jones, and he has an Al Bruno quality about him that served us well in the 1980s.

There is one issue I will be watching for.  Jones showed signs that his long history in the US game has entrenched certain tendencies in his coaching.  Some of the play calls have much much-discussed on this board, but every coach's play calls can be questioned at times (see: Alberta, both teams).

The other side of it is his choice of assistant coaches.  People like to pin the Art Briles fiasco on Mitchell or Austin, even though I'm pretty sure it was Jones' request to bring him here.  Dan Morrison, a long-time Jones colleague, was brought in late and will presumably be the offensive coordinator in 2018, despite having no prior CFL experience.  One could argue that a staff with deeper CFL credentials would be more complementary to Jones' skill set.  It's tough to win a championship when your coaches are climbing a learning curve on the nuances of the game.

This issue can be overcome.  I'm hoping everyone is working their butts off this off-season to overcome any gaps in knowledge. It's just something I'll be watching for.

cats99

Is “it June Yet !” Great news !
Die Mannschaft ****🏆🇩🇪
FCB Bayern****⚽️🇩🇪
TFC⚽️🇨🇦
Buffalo Bills🏈

DisplacedCatsFan

Am I missing something or was there no information an the length of his contract?
Formerly sigpig

Velox Versutus Vigilans

R.I.P. Cpl Nathan Cirillo Albainn Gu Brath

BillyDee87

Good news.  Now, lock in Lolley.
"For the sake of humanity" is always the credo of tyranny.

tcmike

Am I missing something or was there no information an the length of his contract?
I think its only for 18. We shall see how it plays out. I am happy June is back.
Best Game\'s ever. 1986 game 2 Ticat Argo Home and Home East final series and 1998 Eastern Final Hamilton VS Montreal.

blackandgld

Under Jones, Hamilton’s offence posted the CFL’s most points for (295), net offence (4,071 yards), passing yards (3,081), rushing yards (1,149), offensive touchdowns (28), rushing touchdowns (13), first downs (226) and were second in points for per game (29.5), all while turning the ball over just a league-low 13 times.

Defensively, Hamilton ranked first in rushing yards allowed per game (73.4), quarterback sacks (33), forced fumbles (13) and pass knock downs (38), and were second in interceptions (12) and net offence allowed per game (335.5 yards) over its last 10 games.

pikk

I am happy. Now where is Johnny?

ottawacat

I got and read the email and I agree with everything expressed, in this thread, by ExPat.  
Question: Is one line in June's note to the fans telling a slightly different story than how he explained, in the summer, how his coming to Hamilton came about?  I recall, because it stood out strongly to me, him saying it was Eric Tillman and Scott Mitchell who reached out to him.  Regardless, I'm happy that Jone's will be our HC again next season.   

blackandgld

LOL, letter from Jones just might have had a ghost writer helping.

Onemoredork

We're going to love you June.

Until the rest of the league figures out your offense.

Then we won't.

Then you'll be accused of running a country club.

Because youre nice.

bobo82

I am happy. Now where is Johnny?
Here's the latest pic of Johnny working on his comeback . Apparently he's now wearing number #22 because his number #2 jersey doesn't fit him anymore .  :P
15 GREY CUPS for HAMILTON BASED TEAMS

Grover

CFL News
(@CFL_News)

"There's no question in my mind that @JManziel2 can still play football. Up here in Canada in the #CFL, I think he'd be pretty special." - @CoachJuneJones #Ticats via @TSN1150

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

longtimetcfan

Now that the head coaching position has been settled, let’s hope the team starts seriously going after re-signing their own “valued” free agents as other teams are starting to do with theirs (ie, Sinopoli, Medlock, etc). 

Manziel...  not so much 🤨

Users Online

103 Guests, 23 Users (15 Spiders, 3 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
TravelPat1, of course, Hamilton2005, Lennywasout, joe, Lucas Bellemare, alphamale111, VICIOUSCIRCLE, Sidney, Dr.Whiskey, RedandWhite, Mightygoose, GernB, thirdnlong, FootbalYouBet, -Hammer-, Slomojo2005, letsgoticats, The Last Word, smokeystover, Yahoo!, Google (14)

Most Online Today: 161. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)