54.5%
6 (54.5%)
No
45.5%
5 (45.5%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: Apr 05 2018, 10:56 PM

150GAGE

Have to disagree with those that say the window has closed; cats will cut all of the back qbs, to make room for Manziel. Vernon Adams and company are not going to sell too muc merchandise or put bums in the seats - all across the league.

I personally hope he catches on with an NFL team; at his best he is too good to play in the CFL. 

For those that are in denial; the talent level in CFL is far below the NFL.
NFL rejects play in the CFL - it's a harsh reality that came fruitition in the 1980s.
 (I am more of a CFL fan, but have no problem admitting a fact)
Good Luck Johnny - wherever you end up.

Ticatsfan25

"Nothing precludes" is not the same as "nothing has changed".  It just isn't.
I'd probably add a few things:
- For all we know, until the Ticats pull the offer, he could have some sort of a guaranteed money contract.  Risky on Ticats part to give him that but it's possible.  It's also not incorrect for him to say he has a guaranteed contract, he just didn't note it could be pulled at any point by the Ticats ;)
- We can cut Evans or Moniz or both at any point in time if Manziel signs so # of QBs on roster shouldnt be a concern.
- Austin probably knew about Spring League plans, as they also knew about the bipolar issue, so this should be no shock to them he was going to go.  If they manage their planning around spending they've already budgeted for Manziel up to a certain point seeing as he's already been offered something.  To your point, it would be smart that they didn't sit around and wait but instead had some contingency plan on who has to get released should they need to clear some space if things change.

Small crack is a bit strong.  I agree that if he wants to play in the NFL this is the quickest route and he probably waits on offers if he thinks he's going to get one.  But, I'd also say that his talent has never been a question, so I dont know how a 2-game "showcase" over a few weeks with some players with questionable talent changes much.  Teams aren't questioning his ability to play (I think), they want to see that his life has changed and he can commit to a team and a playbook and a season etc without going astray.  Personally I don't think that can be done in Spring League.  If anything he gets in some extra reps and is more prepared for camp come May. 

Hank01

I personally hope he catches on with an NFL team; at his best he is too good to play in the CFL.

NFL rejects play in the CFL - it's a harsh reality that came fruitition in the 1980s.

Wow  ?   You sure your name isn't Michael Sam . Never heard a CFL fan describe the CFL football player as far below the NFL player  . Never heard a CFL player who played in the  NFL as well ; say it either . Most guys would say they were over looked or a numbers game . 

Brady the best of the best was drafted in the 6th round in a compensation pick . He could've easily been over looked by another coach other than Belichik and been playing in the CFL . Even Brady himself and Belichik state he is not really a good  athlete . It's the other characteristics that makes him stand above the crowd like situational awareness , focus and hard work ethic to tune his mechanics of throwing to an art form .

I would like to see your hero Johnny play here if he has the true desire but when he throws out to the flats he will find he better bring it or it's going back for a quick 6 .

Cheap Football League , Counterfeit Football League maybe but never far below in player quality . Fix the ref quality and penalty assessment and you would not see much a difference in quality of play on the field . 

Maybe if we had 4 downs we wouldn't punt or kick as much but that hasn't anything to do with quality of the player it's the fluid flow of the game that is more consistent down south with more long play drives .

PatLynch

I was watching Kiki Barber yesterday on his sports talk show. He believes Johnny Footballhead would be better served by playing in the CFL, where the competition is higher than a spring training camp league or the XFL, if it ever gets off the ground .  Kiki also mentioned that only 3 players have made it to NFL camps from this free agent weekend at Bernie's .  The best outcome was a year long spot on a practise roster while the other 2 players were released.

This mini-camp exposure will show his physical skills but I can't see an NFL team taking a chance on him . A reality tv mini-series may be part of this spring fling, who knows ?

Pat Lynch (the old guy)

my home team

Have to disagree with those that say the window has closed; cats will cut all of the back qbs, to make room for Manziel. Vernon Adams and company are not going to sell too muc merchandise or put bums in the seats - all across the league.

When you don't know if Manziel, especially with his now known medical issue, will be able to deal with all that comes with being in the starter role, if that should happen here, I doubt Kent and Eric would clear the deck of backup quarterbacks should Johnny beer league come here. Remember Cleveland.

What management is concerned about here is whether Manziel can play FIRST. The merchandise sales will ONLY happen if he proves he can do so. Otherwise, it's a non factor.

If the talent level is far below the NFL, then why have players gone from this league to play down south.

Many a NFL and NCAA star has come to the CFL and failed.

Because of the larger field, and other differences, the athletes here are different.

my home team

I was watching Kiki Barber yesterday on his sports talk show. He believes Johnny Footballhead would be better served by playing in the CFL, where the competition is higher than a spring training camp league or the XFL, if it ever gets off the ground .  Kiki also mentioned that only 3 players have made it to NFL camps from this free agent weekend at Bernie's .  The best outcome was a year long spot on a practise roster while the other 2 players were released.

This mini-camp exposure will show his physical skills but I can't see an NFL team taking a chance on him . A reality tv mini-series may be part of this spring fling, who knows ?

Pat Lynch (the old guy)
Dave Naylor, in an interview yesterday described this "league" that Johnny has signed into as a "glorified training camp".

And this is what the NFL is going to use as a measuring stick??

bobo82

It's laughable that they even call this a league . What it basically amounts to is a glorified 2 week try out camp . I mean it's kinda hard to call it a league when there are no actual real teams involved and the 4 games played are it seems nothing more than intramural pick up games akin to shirts vs skins .

It's also laughable to think that in a 2 week 2 game window that Johnny will magically show everybody just how serious he is about playing football again . I'm sure that with his over inflated ego he figures that after showing what he can do playing with a bunch of 3rd rate weekend warriors that his phone will be ringing off the hook with offers from damn near every team in the NFL ....so ya , good luck with that Superstar .  ;D
15 GREY CUPS for HAMILTON BASED TEAMS

my home team

It's laughable that they even call this a league . What it basically amounts to is a glorified 2 week try out camp . I mean it's kinda hard to call it a league when there are no actual real teams involved and the 4 games played are it seems nothing more than intramural pick up games akin to shirts vs skins .

It's also laughable to think that in a 2 week 2 game window that Johnny will magically show everybody just how serious he is about playing football again . I'm sure that with his over inflated ego he figures that after showing what he can do playing with a bunch of 3rd rate weekend warriors that his phone will be ringing off the hook with offers from damn near every team in the NFL ....so ya , good luck with that Superstar .  ;D
Naylor suggested that this is his last hurrah at getting back to the NFL before he signs on with Hamilton. Should Manziel put his signature to a CFL contract then the earliest he could aim again for down south would be 2020.

cats99

This must be one of the "great" other options that Johnny's agent  was talking about  :o No game day cheque and all it'll cost him to play is $350.00 out of pocket per game . What a joke this guy has become . Good Luck to him  :P
Bo bo need that workout video of Johnny ! I figure after poor Johnny gets Zero NFL offers his Agent will still have enough time to Beg Austin to resend that 150 grand and get Johnny on the next plane to the Hammer for start of camp ! I don’t think the door is closed at all !
Bo 
Germany WC RUSSIA
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️+⭐️2018
🇩🇪

blackandgld

It's also laughable to think that in a 2 week 2 game window that Johnny will magically show everybody just how serious he is about playing football again . I'm sure that with his over inflated ego he figures that after showing what he can do playing with a bunch of 3rd rate weekend warriors that his phone will be ringing off the hook with offers from damn near every team in the NFL ....so ya , good luck with that Superstar .  ;D
This is an entirely different scenario for Johnny. He is not going to this camp to showcase his talent. That is already proven. He is going to this camp to show that he is in shape both mentally and physically, he is sober, and wants to be a QB.

ticat1

1) take a look at Delvin Breaux. All star here and bonds fide starter in the NFL. So not really that big a step down. 

2) If what you say is true, Montreal will be light years ahead of where they were last season with the play of their NFL experienced AN

3)The games are different enough that the two leagues look for different things in players. 

Not saying the leagues are on par but it's not a vast difference

my home team

This is an entirely different scenario for Johnny. He is not going to this camp to showcase his talent. That is already proven. He is going to this camp to show that he is in shape both mentally and physically, he is sober, and wants to be a QB.
He hasn't proven anything where it matters, the NFL.

woody

I believe Cookie Gilchrist is the most complete football player of all time. He belongs in the Canadian Football Hall of Fame!

smogmonster

Correction: No QB has proven anything in recent memory playing for the Browns.  
Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle

my home team

Correction: No QB has proven anything in recent memory playing for the Browns.  
But this isn't just another quarterback...this is Johnny Football!!!

Users Online

86 Guests, 7 Users (18 Spiders, 4 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Beam reach, pdson2, Lennywasout, Google (AdSense) (3), Google (15)

Most Online Today: 124. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)