my home team

As much as the Cats are criticized for lack of ability to find new talent, the problem this year has been mostly with the veterans, not the new guys.

Failing grades go to:

-Chick
-Collaros
-Banks
-Lawrence
-Tracy
-Gable
-Dean
-Filer

Even Tasker for most of the season....

The new guys -- Saunders, Leonard, Castillo, Coleman.....and Hill....have been bright spots.
-Chick - traded
-Collaros - not much chance behind this O-line
-Banks - poor blocking schemes on returns, but not a great receiver
-Lawrence - playing essentially on one leg
-Tracy - hard to play well when being benched due to ratio issues
-Gable - crappy O-line = few holes to run through, receiving needs work
-Dean - he's in on almost every tackle
-Filer - part of a bad O-line, but he's a good centre
-Tasker - double-teamed every play, hard to make receptions when the QB can't make a pass behind a bad O-line...
That's the way I see it too, DCF!!!!

catfish

Ham will now play the Boatmen Ckickless. Chick has flown the coop.

Crash

Chick's record as a defensive end with the Ticats was 0-8. According to the logic on the forum hes ineffective and should have been replaced anyways.

Palmer

Chick's record as a defensive end with the Ticats was 0-8. According to the logic on the forum hes ineffective and should have been replaced anyways.
But he was replaced from time to time was he not?

my home team

No. That's the record of the TEAM.
The TEAM collectively contributed to the problem.
John Chick was only one of 12 players on the field at a given time, and that's just the defense.

Crash

John Chick was only one of 12 players on the field at a given time, and that's just the defense.
You don't have to convince me. I agree completely.
Unfortunately to some people only the record of the QB matters. My point is your point, the team as a whole has been losing.

my home team

You don't have to convince me. I agree completely.
Unfortunately to some people only the record of the QB matters. My point is your point, the team as a whole has been losing.
Really, I was agreeing with you on the point, I was stating it again for those who are trying to single out a particular player or coach for our situation (Collaros, Austin).

Slomojo2005

He was a non factor this year, almost invisible in many games.
Best before date has unfortunately passed him.
Or the coaching staff is just pathetically trash, one of the 2
Or the Opposition is more effective in handling him via double teaming etc...... John is still a very good DE.  We just gave up a lot on our D-Line!!!!!! Too much in my opinion.

Killer91

It wasn't his fault -it was the offensive lines fault (on the other team)

All kidding aside.  It was a business decision but I'll miss him, he really turned it on near the end of the season when it counted.  He's not a game changer like a QB.

safetyblitz

John is still a very good DE.
Sure, but even before he arrived in Hamilton, SK had already decided he was too old and too expensive relative to his performance. Ratio considerations mean that playing Chick down the stretch would mean sitting Tracy. Time catches up with everyone, and even if Chick is still "a very good DE", at this stage of his career, his performance is only going to decline.
I get why people don't like this move, but it's a sensible one. Great sport, lousy business.

Gerbear20

I read that our GM Tillman was called by the ESKS GM inquiring on Chick since their defensive end Howard got injured . He was called a few weeks ago and Tillman went to Austin and Austin said not yet. I guess he was waiting to see how we do against Ottawa . Well the Edmonton Gm called again after the Ottawa game and Austin approved the deal . Apparently , they think that Cappicotti and first round mcgough have shown enough to make Chick expendable. I think was yet another bonehead move by Austin and Tillman. The team sucks so they trade the only players are good ? It doesn't make sense to me as a good Defensive End is so hard to find.  They should be getting rid of Collaros ( 1.5 million over 3 years salary ) , Banks, Laurent ( 275 K salary ) , and Gable . I think we can't even call Gable a running back but instead a blocking back or 6th olineman .

I just hope they don't get riid of the only other talented guys they have in simoni and tasker . 

Looks like an 0-18 season ..and very reduced fans at the games .

Last week was the first time I missed watching a game in about ten years .....They just don't look like a team that even practices and the management did not address the issues they had last year at db and the oline ......Apparently people don't like playing under Austin and Coaches don't like coaching under Austin .

Fred Plesius was quoted saying that Austin bothered him all week after he had a bad game.  We used to have some really good special teamers in Plesius , Archembeault, and Beau Landry ....but they chose to leave or in Plesius case was traded ( I am sure he asked to be traded) 

I also heard that a free Agent was asked why have you not signed with Hamilton and he said because Teddy ( Laurent )  took all the money . I think they made a big mistake signing Laurent ( 275k ) , Banks ( around 200k ) and Collaros ( over 500 k ) .

This made Collaros the highest payed player in the league and even though Laurent is a great ratio buster being a national his play and position DT doesn't warrant that much money .
They admitted to spending too much when they asked speedy Banks to take 50 thousand dollar pay cut and Banks agreed upon it mainly due to the fact that CFL contracts are not guaranteed so the ticats could have just dropped Banks if he said no and would not have to pay him a penny.

It;s unfortunate , but we have signed Austin to 500 k plus a year contract that goes beyond this year  and it's guaranteed . So we are stuck with him .

It's one thing to play poorly last year and even more so this year but when you start giving away our all star calibre players and fan favorites then that is just not acceptable and it's just shooting yourself in the foot and pissing off the fanbase 

I will be anxious to see how many people show up to games after labour day when we get beaten by ricky ray and the argos .

Hamliton fans can handle losses of 60 -1 bu they cannot handle a loss to the Argos on Labour Day at home ....

Way to go Austin and Tillman..things are getting worse each week . I am saying there will be like 13,000 at the rest of the games after labor day thanks to these two clowns .

Steinhaur left and tommy condel left and is now working for the argos as a receivers coach.......Something smells fishy why both these guys would leave and tommy would end up with argos. It must be that dealing with Austin becomes too much to take ....

You can see Austin's arrogance and rude behaviour when he deals with the media at the scrums after practice especially towards Drew Edwards . He shows no respect for that guy ....

safetyblitz

Last week was the first time I missed watching a game in about ten years .....They just don't look like a team that even practices and the management did not address the issues they had last year at db and the oline ......Apparently people don't like playing under Austin and Coaches don't like coaching under Austin .
I agree with some of your criticisms about Austin, but on the DB front, they brought in a ton of new guys to audition this spring. In addition to re-signing Emanuel Davis, they landed possibly this biggest free-agent DB on the market this off-season (Kanneh). Losing those two to injury has really hurt, and we've had other DBs go down as well. Richard Leonard, who is new to the team this year, might turn out to be the only league all-star on the roster at any position.
As a unit, the defensive backfield has performed poorly this year, but I think the team made the right moves to try to improve it in the off-season: they've just had injury problems.

Chestmaster

I blame Austin for this. Yes he wasnt productive but the guy didnt really have anyone else on the line to take the focus off of him. 

Im assuming its a ratio thing when Tracey isnt playing over Capicciotti... 
Posted using the new Blackberry Keyone

Palmer

In eight games, John had 16 tackles, average of 2 per game, and 2 sacks, average of one per 4 games.  Nothing exceptional, kind of every player type stats.

All star players, IMO, make others around them look and play better, ordinary players become less productive because others around them "don't take the focus".

At this point in his career, John, in Hamilton, has become an ordinary player, one who can be replaced by a younger, cheaper guy.  That's what happens on losing teams that are in need of a re-build.  It isn't pretty, but it is inevitable.

I wish him all the best, and hope he can finish out his career on a high note on a winning team.

Crash

Gerbear: the way Austin treats Drew has nothing to do with the teams record or success. 

Imo Drew asks for it.

Users Online

117 Guests, 17 Users (17 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Oskie18, bobo82, Mark, KevinRiley2, RBFan2014, dcmoses, heapbag, brianjoxx, danoc_86, TCHABS, RedandWhite, Mightygoose, Abendschan, steeltownguy, jim43bob, Google (17)

Most Online Today: 192. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)