ExPat

Chick is signed thru the 2018 season, which at the end of that season he will be 36 years old.
His contract is for $160K not including bonuses.
Getting a 2nd rounder for Chick is a very fair return IMHO.
Drew Edwards‏Verified account
@scratchingpost

Hearing that the #Ticats two-year deal with Chick is in $160K per season range.
8:22 AM - 28 Jan 2016

You might be correct about 2018, but the Edwards tweet implies Chick's contract only goes to end of 2017.
Correcting myself, based on Edward' latest story on Chick (which I would put in "quotes" if I still knew how under this new format):

The Ticats signed Chick to contract extension through the 2018 CFL season in May.

ottawacat

Cash dump before Labour Day. I believe there is something guaranteed if the player is on the rooster after the ninth game me. Correct me if I am wrong. Banks is next up!
As a CFL veteran of 6 or more years, Chick would have to be paid for the full season if he was released anytime after the first 9 games.  In this case, being traded to EDM, they just pick up his contract, as it exists.  It was extended, by the Cats, back in May, to include the 2018 season.

cats99

Your gone slacker ?!$ interesting move a shakeup is starting  , rebuilding starting now is better then waiting till the off season , bet sorry to say speedy is next 
Die Mannschaft ****🏆🇩🇪
FCB Bayern****⚽️🇩🇪
TFC⚽️🇨🇦
Buffalo Bills🏈

seymour

I can't recall but was it Tillman that pulled off the greatest player heist in history... QB R Ray from the Eskies to the Argos for a bag of peanuts?

If so, just saying re player movements and deals...  ???
Yes it was Tillman who got fleeced by Jim Barker. At the time, Barker said he was getting a future Hall of Fame quarterback whose best years were still ahead of him and Barker was absolutely correct.

Still setting passing records, Ray threw for four touchdowns and 377 yards against a supposedly very good Montreal defense yesterday.

If Tillman lives to be 100, he will never live down that ridiculously one-sided trade that brought a Grey Cup to the Argos in the first year and ultimately got Tillman fired in Edmonton.

letsgoticats

I know Canadian depth is important, and good teams always build that depth through the draft.  But damn, it's hard to get excited about this.  Just took a look back at our second round picks in the Austin/Tillman regime.   

2017- Braden Schram - Too early, hasn't played yet.
2016- Mercer Timmis - Depth running back/special teams.  Still early, but hasn't done much.
2015- Jay Langa - Special teams player.  
2014- Evan Gill - Constantly injured.
2013- Brent Urban - Went to the NFL, will never play here.

None of those guys have had much of an impact on the team.  In fact, if you take a look at the first round picks, it's not much different.

2017- Connor McGough - Has actually played, looks good so far.
2016- Brandon Revenberg - Solid pick.
2015- Byron Archambault - Retired after playing 10 games due to injury.
2014 -Beau Landry- Special teams while he was here, left to Calgary in free agency.
2013- Lindon Gaydosh- Appeared in a handful of games, never made much of an impact.  Several injuries, recently signed by Toronto.

I guess the question is, are we just terrible at drafting?  And if we are, should we continue letting VP Austin be in control of the draft going forward?

From a fan perspective, hard to get excited for trades like this when you see that the return is what's shown above.  

ottawacat

If this means the club is now looking at the resumption of practising, after this bye, as being the start of training camp for 2018, I congratulate them on the plan.  11 "pre-season games" ahead -- a great opportunity to do K.A.'s favourite thing -- evaluate -- and do so with contact and tackling actually included.

Grover

First of all, It could have been the Esks GM Brock Sutherland that initiated these trade talks, knowing Hamilton's position and the state of injury to the Esks DLine, it is a strong possibility.
Austin, Tillman and Chick go back to 2007 in SSK, I am sure they talked to Chick before this trade went down and got some input from him.

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

schmenger

Ottawa Cat, If Kent Austin's favourite thing is to evaluate new players or just players in general, the team is doomed. Kent Austin is the reason why this team is in the present state. Absolutely little if no talent compared to the other teams.  And guess who that's on.....wait for it, Kent who doesn't know football as much as he "thinks" he does. 

HfxTC

Banks and Collaros should start salting every penny.  Tillman trying to get ahead of things before the spotlight hits him in the face.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.

bobo82

And the Great Fire Sale of 2017 begins . I'm not really surprised by this deal and although I'll miss seeing Chick in black "n" gold , I'm extremely happy for the guy that at age 34 he'll now have a legitimate shot at another Grey Cup ring before he retires . The deal kinda reminds me of when we traded away Montford in the mid two thousands , 2005 or 2006 I believe when we were going nowhere fast and the season was lost . Much like this season now is . Montford went on to win a final Grey Cup ring with the Esks that year to go along with his Grey Cup ring from "99". If he would've stayed here in Hamilton he wouldn't have even been on a play-off team , let alone a Grey Cup contender . 

Believe me as well trading a player the calibre of Chick who by all accounts was apparently well liked and respected by his Ti-Cat teammates will send a direct notice to everyone else on this team . The message is a rather simple one......If we can get rid of a player like Chick then we can get rid of anybody on this team . Not one of ya's is safe and you have all been put on notice , stay close to your phones on this bye week because you might be next to be shipped on out of here .

Here's a hunch , but any one want to make a bet that the next guy to get a call on his bye week is Sleepy "B" ? Like I said earlier the Fire Sale has begun here in the Hammer.......Let the rebuild begin as I suspect that Chick will be the first of many moves and transactions on this roster going forth the rest of this season .
15 GREY CUPS for HAMILTON BASED TEAMS

-Hammer-

Edmonton is winning this trade, although it's not absurdly lop-sided (like SJ Green or Ricky Ray). Canadian talent on the line is the backbone of a good CFL team and Chick has been an excellent player throughout his tenure. He's an established veteran, going to a team that is in the Grey Cup running but needs to shore it's line up do to injuries. The Esks are in the position of weakness here, not us as our season is done and a rebuild is likely coming down the pipe.

I'll make this clear, it's not a bad thing to trade Chick, he's getting older, he'll still competitive now and for at least 1-4 more years. If you are looking at rebuilding that is the kind of player you generally want to deal. I just don't think we got nearly enough for him and a 5th round pick thrown in is further insult to injury.

Unlike other sports, the CFL Draft simply isn't worth as much as letsgoticats pointed out. The reason is the top end of the draft tends to flirt with the NFL, making their tenure less stable, and the pool while smaller, doesn't have a good long-time production rate. Most guys who get drafted don't stick around with the same team and most don't pan out, or they get tossed into trades. The CIS system while improving doesn't iron out all the player wrinkles and they don't have anywhere near as many player desperate to get into it like the NCAA and can't recruit via scholarship like the NCAA. It's also far easier to acquire young talent from NFL cuts, making signing and keeping long-term Canadians during free agency far more vital in our game.

I'd much rather had seen them go for a young, national O.Lineman with some reps or a promising national receiver. Then straight picks, and certainly if you wanted picks, a 2nd and a 4th is what we should have got for Chick and a 5th. If just Chick, we should have got a 2nd and a 6th or 7th. Edmonton can easily push for a Grey Cup this year if they can overcome their recent injury issues, and Chick will let them do that.

I view this as just another failure of our personnel department that seemed to vanish somewhere during mid 2015. The real cause for our woes and Milt identified this 3rd game in the season.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/video/stegall-on-tiger-cats-they-just-don-t-have-enough-talent~1185830

Note: This sig is not an attack on mpdid. He's an ok guy, for a Bombers fan.

habcat

Hamilton Tiger-Cats‏Verified account
@Ticats

2m2 minutes ago
More

#Ticats have acquired a 2nd rd. pick in '18 from @EdmontonEsks for DE @johnchick97 & a 5th rd. pick in '18.

http://ticats.ca/tiger-cats-trade-defensive-end-chick-to-eskimos/

http://www.3downnation.com/2017/08/20/ticats-trade-john-chick-eskimos/
Cripes!
Just to clarify my reaction to the trade. I'm not really upset with the trading of Chick as I feel the season is over and done with.
What I worry about is do we really want Austin and Tillman being the ones to conduct a sort of fire sale  that may or may not be starting here. Those 2 are the reason that we are in the mess that we are in right now!
We are 1-14 in the past 15 games. That's scary bad!

Crash

Hamilton Tiger-Cats‏Verified account
@Ticats

2m2 minutes ago
More

#Ticats have acquired a 2nd rd. pick in '18 from @EdmontonEsks for DE @johnchick97 & a 5th rd. pick in '18.

http://ticats.ca/tiger-cats-trade-defensive-end-chick-to-eskimos/

http://www.3downnation.com/2017/08/20/ticats-trade-john-chick-eskimos/
Cripes!
Just to clarify my reaction to the trade. I'm not really upset with the trading of Chick as I feel the season is over and done with.
What I worry about is do we really want Austin and Tillman being the ones to conduct a sort of fire sale  that may or may not be starting here. Those 2 are the reason that we are in the mess that we are in right now!
You're talking like they're getting fired.... if bob and Scott have already decided that they're staying then they have to be the ones to rebuild.

ottawacat

Ottawa Cat, If Kent Austin's favourite thing is to evaluate new players or just players in general, the team is doomed. Kent Austin is the reason why this team is in the present state. Absolutely little if no talent compared to the other teams.  And guess who that's on.....wait for it, Kent who doesn't know football as much as he "thinks" he does.
Schmenger: My comment was aimed in the same direction as yours.  "Evaluate" is the word, and plan,  that pops out of K.A.'s mouth every time he faces the media in a negative situation.  I don't know when he first used it, but I do know it was the key theme of his statements when last season came to an end and he's repeated it, at least, a few more times this season.  Last November, his evaluation was to "begin with himself and his own job performance" and that was re-stated, by him, as recently as post-game Friday night.  I think the problem with this organization is too much faith having been put into too few individuals, who have been given too much compensation, too much responsibility, in some cases misleading titles, and contracts extended over too long a period.  I think the owner has done that with his CEO, who in turn has done that with Kent Austin, who in turn has carried that practice on with Collaros, Tillman, Gable, Banks and others.  All I'm pleased with today is that they all may have turned their attention now to 2018 in realization that any hopes of success in 2017 have passed them by. 

habcat

What I worry about is do we really want Austin and Tillman being the ones to conduct a sort of fire sale  that may or may not be starting here. Those 2 are the reason that we are in the mess that we are in right now!
You're talking like they're getting fired.... if bob and Scott have already decided that they're staying then they have to be the ones to rebuild.
Yes I agree but if the season continues on like it is how can they not be fired and can they not be fired? If all they do is shuffle the chairs on the Titanic like replace assistants who will pay to watch that next year? Just thoughts and questions

Users Online

113 Guests, 16 Users (17 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Mark, KevinRiley2, RBFan2014, dcmoses, heapbag, brianjoxx, danoc_86, Oskie18, TCHABS, RedandWhite, Mightygoose, Abendschan, steeltownguy, jim43bob, bobo82, Google (17)

Most Online Today: 192. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)