Grover

Hamilton Tiger-Cats‏Verified account
@Ticats
2m2 minutes ago
#Ticats have acquired a 2nd rd. pick in '18 from @EdmontonEsks for DE @johnchick97 & a 5th rd. pick in '18.

http://ticats.ca/tiger-cats-trade-defensive-end-chick-to-eskimos/

http://www.3downnation.com/2017/08/20/ticats-trade-john-chick-eskimos/

Drew Edwards‏Verified account
@scratchingpost
2m2 minutes ago
Former #Ticats DE John Chick has 16 tackles, two sacks this season. He's been solid but not his usual dominant self. #Esks #CFL

@scratchingpost
4m4 minutes ago
#Ticats are 0-8 w/ Chick in the line up & playing a Canadian at DE much of the time these days. So the move make sense from that perspective

The team blow up has started

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

Crash

Before people start screaming that we could have got more for him.... this is what a rebuild looks like. You aren't getting a 1st rounder or a starting player from better teams. 

seymour

The team blow up has started

John Chick has been almost invisible on the D this season and he's expensive so the Tiger-Cats can't demand much in return.

Now we watch and see how he performs as a member of a contending, well-coached team with some talent around him. 

vjcos

I guess It's official The Cats are throwing in the towel.
Sad. What's been done to this team.

schmenger

Cash dump before Labour Day. I believe there is something guaranteed if the player is on the rooster after the ninth game me. Correct me if I am wrong. Banks is next up!

of course

Chick played very well for us last year, but has been largely invisible this year.  In fact, I noticed that Tracy played most snaps in Chick's place in our last game, even though Chick wasn't hurt. 

This is a smart move because this year is toast, and we get a high draft pick next year, and free up room under the salary cap.  Plus, we can start auditioning new, younger, cheaper Defensive Ends who can now compete with Tracy for Chick's spot (i.e. upcoming NFL cuts). 

Tillman did a great job getting such a high draft pick in this trade, given that Chick was being paid big bucks by Hamilton.

Chick now has a legit shot at the Grey Cup, so I'm sure he isn't too disappointed at being moved.

I expect that Tillman is far from done in the trade department.  Over the bye week, I would be shocked if Banks, Gable and Xavier Fulton weren't also dealt to Grey Cup contending teams for high draft picks.  These are players on the way out in Hamilton who would be good rentals for clubs gearing up for a run at a Championship.

Grover

Chick is signed thru the 2018 season, which at the end of that season he will be 36 years old.
His contract is for $160K not including bonuses.
Getting a 2nd rounder for Chick is a very fair return IMHO.
@scratchingpost
Hearing that the #Ticats two-year deal with Chick is in $160K per season range.
8:22 AM - 28 Jan 2016

Morley Scott
@Morley_Scott
19m19 minutes ago
#Esks QB Mike Reilly will be happy.  Told me earlier this year that of the 5 hardest hits he has ever taken - John Chick had 3 of them. #CFL

seymour

Cash dump before Labour Day. I believe there is something guaranteed if the player is on the rooster after the ninth game me. Correct me if I am wrong. Banks is next up!
Yes, if a player is on the rooster after the ninth game, it's guaranteed that you have one sick, sick puppy on your hands.  :)

longtimetcfan

I can't recall but was it Tillman that pulled off the greatest player heist in history... QB R Ray from the Eskies to the Argos for a bag of peanuts?

If so, just saying re player movements and deals...  ???

steeltownguy

Chick played very well for us last year, but has been largely invisible this year.  In fact, I noticed that Tracy played most snaps in Chick's place in our last game, even though Chick wasn't hurt.

This is a smart move because this year is toast, and we get a high draft pick next year, and free up room under the salary cap.  Plus, we can start auditioning new, younger, cheaper Defensive Ends who can now compete with Tracy for Chick's spot (i.e. upcoming NFL cuts).

Tillman did a great job getting such a high draft pick in this trade, given that Chick was being paid big bucks by Hamilton.

Chick now has a legit shot at the Grey Cup, so I'm sure he isn't too disappointed at being moved.

I expect that Tillman is far from done in the trade department.  Over the bye week, I would be shocked if Banks, Gable and Xavier Fulton weren't also dealt to Grey Cup contending teams for high draft picks.  These are players on the way out in Hamilton who would be good rentals for clubs gearing up for a run at a Championship.

That is going to be tough for some fans to swallow, especially Banks if he were to go. I am curious what the plans will be for some of the more prominent roles. I know at the game many in my section were calling for Masoli, I know there is frustration with Collaros and oddly it seemed as if Masoli was given more time by the O-Line than they gave Collaros.

slimjim2

I guess It's official The Cats are throwing in the towel.
Sad. What's been done to this team.
It's not throwing in the towel it's getting rid of the underperforming players.
It's exactly what the fans wanted,  and what is needed,  a rebuild.
Chick has bounced around the CFL since his best years with the Riders.
More veterans will be given the axe in the next couple of weeks to make way for NFL cuts

ExPat

Chick is signed thru the 2018 season, which at the end of that season he will be 36 years old.
His contract is for $160K not including bonuses.
Getting a 2nd rounder for Chick is a very fair return IMHO.
@scratchingpost

Hearing that the #Ticats two-year deal with Chick is in $160K per season range.
8:22 AM - 28 Jan 2016

You might be correct about 2018, but the Edwards tweet implies Chick's contract only goes to end of 2017.

ExPat

Posters to this forum will be terribly conflicted about this trade.  On the one hand, Chick was a starter for the Tiger-Cats, so they hated him. 

On the other hand, it will take only a week or two for him to start making it onto those nostalgic lists of former Ticats who now play for other teams but somehow "weren't good enough" to stay with our team.

Grover

John Chick‏Verified account
@johnchick97
10m10 minutes ago
More

So many friends & incredible memories made in #Hamilton. Lots of love to the fans & #Ticats for being so kind to me & family. Thank you!

Users Online

114 Guests, 14 Users (16 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Palmer, KevinRiley2, vjcos, idealsheldon, nopa, bobo82, The Last Word, LeBird, FootbalYouBet, Lyle B. Style, EastVanMark, bowl450, Google (16)

Most Online Today: 192. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)