ExPat

But going with the odds doesn't guarantee success.
Of course not. But by definition, it increases the chances of success.  Dramatically in this case.  

safetyblitz

Of course not. But by definition, it increases the chances of success.  Dramatically in this case.  
But saying "we stopped them the last 4 drives" is not a rigorous analysis of all the probabilities involved in football. It's a naively reductionist way of oversimplifying the "odds". Especially when Calgary is almost certain to try to rush the ball now, and you have a whopping sample size of 2 rushing attempts in the last 4 drives, where one of those rushes was for 25 yards.

CatsFaninOttawa

Except that I meant the odds were better doing what they did. My opinion, and apparently Maas's as well.

CatsFaninOttawa

But saying "we stopped them the last 4 drives" is not a rigorous analysis of all the probabilities involved in football. It's a naively reductionist way of oversimplifying the "odds". Especially when Calgary is almost certain to try to rush the ball now, and you have a whopping sample size of 2 rushing attempts in the last 4 drives, where one of those rushes was for 25 yards.
Fair enough. And maybe Maas's confidence in his defence was wrong. But he stated that he had that confidence, and that factored into his decision. So, a good decision based on misplaced confidence?

my home team

Except that I meant the odds were better doing what they did. My opinion, and apparently Maas's as well.
Except that you know your current situation. You won't be able to anticipate the conditions under which you will have the ball the next time (time, field position) OR if there will be a next time.

"Better the devil you know".....

Krisiun

I alluded to the thinking of Maas in an earlier post but maybe I didn't explain my interpretation well enough.

I think that the decision of Maas was based on how Calgary would react in the two possible scenarios.

With approximately a minute and a half left and a tie game, a potent Calgary offence would aggressively march down into field goal territory and most likely win the game anyways on a Parades field goal. But if the Esks kick the field goal and are down by four, then The Stamps would have likely pursued a safe, conservative ground game. Maas gambled that the Esks defense would get a quick 2 and out and get the ball back with enough time left for Reilly to drive down the field for the winning TD, AND use up the remaining clock to prevent Calgary from coming back.

Unfortunately for Maas, the Stamps got a 1st down and were able to kill most of the remaining clock. We have all seen guys like Mitchell and especially Ricky Ray pull off a late game winning drive in a no huddle offence. Maas looked at the clock and who his opponent was and figured they would lose anyways even if they did get the tying TD. His decision might have been different if the Esks were playing a weaker team.

If the gamble worked then Maas would have looked like a genius but instead he is now the goat.

PatLynch

The coach's job is to put his players in the best position to win the game .  Maas didn't do that . He should pay a price for that . I must admit a bias here .  I can't stand the jerk !  Fire him and replace him with Chamblin before the Als grab the Argo D coordinator .

Pat Lynch (the old guy)

my home team

The coach's job is to put his players in the best position to win the game .  Maas didn't do that . He should pay a price for that . I must admit a bias here .  I can't stand the jerk !  Fire him and replace him with Chamblin before the Als grab the Argo D coordinator .

Pat Lynch (the old guy)
I have to admit, Pat, that my response is slightly influenced by the distain I have for him.

Funny, that a short time ago, Maas was quite willing to belittle one of his coaches on the sidelines in front of a national audience.

But, when he screwed up in the west final, had excuses at the ready for himself.

Must be quite a helpless feeling when, as a player, you're risking life and limb for 58 minutes, only to have what've been sacrificing and working toward all season taken away from you by a boneheaded, cowardly call from your head coach.

Palmer

The guy made a mistake - a poor play selection according to many of us.  Are we just in a panty knot because we were hoping to see Calgary lose?  I mean, it was just a game, no loss of life involved.  

Besides, in the Cup, no matter who wins, I’ll be able to say to myself, “At least Team X and Coach so and so lost”! :)

my home team

The guy made a mistake - a poor play selection according to many of us.  Are we just in a panty knot because we were hoping to see Calgary lose?  I mean, it was just a game, no loss of life involved.  

Besides, in the Cup, no matter who wins, I’ll be able to say to myself, “At least Team X and Coach so and so lost”! :)
To us, it is only a game. It's entertainment.

For the players and coaches, it's their living, how they support their families. A lot of them aren't making a great deal of money, so the playoff cheques are significant for them.

Their time as professional athletes is limited.

A bad injury could cost them a season next year, or worse, their career.

Meantime, they're scrutinized constantly by their coaches, fans, sports writers.

I feel for them.

relic7

Sorry...but I had a nine year old in the room and came up with that "he couldn't have known the score", or he was a little drunk like some of my guests?? I thought it was pretty funny.

Users Online

64 Guests, 2 Users (13 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Grover, Mightygoose, Google (13)

Most Online Today: 106. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)