vinny

Got to love the way a coach calls a play to ruin the season for the players. As a coach you have to put your players in a position of winning the game, Maas didnt. He took a page out of Kent Austin's Game Management manual. Austin would make that call. 

Field goal over trying to convert on third down considering the time and field position 

At that point you go for it on third down. If you dont get it, you still have Calgary deeper in their end and you have better field position if/when they punt. 

By going for the field goal, you still are down 4 and need a TD, although you will have to go a longer distance to get that touchdown with similar or less time.

Maybe Maas can throw a tirade toward himself in the mirror for what he did to his players with that decision.

This call made Austin calls look impressive.
There is no glory in practice, but without practice there is no glory

schmenger

Stupid play call. It should cost him his job. 

Oskie18

It's the CFL. One minute left is a long time. All they had to do was stop the Stamps from getting a 1st down and leave it to the O to score again. They had the wind.

The Esks are 22-14 under Mass and they have been to a Divisional Final in both of his seasons as HC. There is no way he deserves to loose his job. Give you head a shake.
Formerly Oskie09 and jlshooter

Crash

Spread was +5. Maas had money on his team.

ottawacat

That's the only comment I've heard or read, including Maas's own explanation, that could explain the reasoning behind his decision and have it make any sense at all.

TiCatFan13

Hey at least we don't own the 'worst play calling in the CFL" this year, we get to share the award with Edmonton!!!!  All I can say is WOW, what a bonehead call!!!!

safetyblitz

I almost could have understood Maas' rationale if he had followed the field goal with an onside kick attempt, with the rationale that the only way for them to win was to not let Calgary's offense possess the ball again (assuming that a converted touchdown for Edmonton to tie the game following a successful 3rd down gamble would have been answered by at least a single point on a game-ending drive by Calgary in the final minute, resulting in a one point Calgary victory). But obviously that wasn't even it. He said in a post-game interview that he thought there was enough time to stop Calgary and score a go-ahead TD.

Crash

His rationale is straight forward... If they stop them there's 1:10 or so left when Calgary punts. Into the wind, etc.

Doesn't make it right. It's terrible. But not impossible to understand what he was thinking. Just an example of coaches overthinking.

CatsFaninOttawa

I almost could have understood Maas' rationale if he had followed the field goal with an onside kick attempt, with the rationale that the only way for them to win was to not let Calgary's offense possess the ball again (assuming that a converted touchdown for Edmonton to tie the game following a successful 3rd down gamble would have been answered by at least a single point on a game-ending drive by Calgary in the final minute, resulting in a one point Calgary victory). But obviously that wasn't even it. He said in a post-game interview that he thought there was enough time to stop Calgary and score a go-ahead TD.
Had they managed to actually stop them two- or three-and-out, they would have had time. And they'd done that since midway through the third.

But still a dumb call, IMO. They still had to score a TD on this drive or the next. Might as well go for it right away.

ExPat

Finally someone who gets it. The real takeaway from the western final is that Austin sucks.  I’m surprised TSN missed it. 

Krisiun

He took a page out of Kent Austin's Game Management manual. Austin would make that call.

This call made Austin calls look impressive.
First you assume that Austin would make the same call that Maas did, which you can't really say with any certainty. But then you say that this particular call in comparison makes Austin's calls look impressive. ???

So which is it? Would Kent Austin be stupid enough to make this call or not?

Onemoredork

Jones would have had a quick vote among players. The kids deserve to be asked.

-Hammer-

Hey at least we don't own the 'worst play calling in the CFL" this year, we get to share the award with Edmonton!!!!  All I can say is WOW, what a bonehead call!!!!
Sorry, one bad call in the playoffs you still made it to doesn't compare to leaving 22 points off the board for refusing to do a QB Sneak on the 1 yard line on 5 separate occasions times, or running a pass heavy offense when you have a known receiver shortage and O.Line issues during a 6-12 season.

Defense_Rules

That's the only comment I've heard or read, including Maas's own explanation, that could explain the reasoning behind his decision and have it make any sense at all.
Only fools would bet on the outcome of a CFL game where pass interference calls late in a game often dictate the result.  

my home team

His rationale is straight forward... If they stop them there's 1:10 or so left when Calgary punts. Into the wind, etc.

Doesn't make it right. It's terrible. But not impossible to understand what he was thinking. Just an example of coaches overthinking.
As one of the TV commentators reasoned, his offense was making third downs in that same series, they were in the red zone. There was less than 2 minutes left. You don't know if you will get this close to the end zone again, and you're moving the ball.

Why not??

His decision made absolutely no sense to me at all.

As Suitor stated, sometimes you just overthink it.

Instead of grabbing for the present, Maas hoped on the future.

And it never came.

Users Online

60 Guests, 4 Users (5 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
PatLynch, stevehvh, Rick16, Grover, Google (5)

Most Online Today: 106. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)