Palmer

I don't understand his logic in this decision, as presented by Wilder.  As I don't know what Wilder does for a living, I can only assume it must pay more than more than $45,000 USD plus whatever play-off bonuses the league provides, in order for Wilder to feel comfortable in "supporting his family" (a noble sentiment for any professional athlete by the way).  On top of that, he will have to arrange, and possibly pay for, some sort of training program and facility to stay in shape for a 2019 NFL try-out.  Then, he has to get an invitation to at least an evaluation camp, get invited to an NFL training camp, and then make the team.

Or, he can report to the Argos, get the training and medical coverage as part of his contract, get valuable playing time and coaching, get paid the $45,000 USD (and possibly bonuses) for roughly 6 months work, and then be free to explore his NFL options.  Plus, he can work at his occupation the 6 months that he is not playing football.

IMO, he either has an NFL offer now and is trying to break his CFL contract, or he is trying to squeeze the Argos for a raise.  

ExPat

IMO, he either has an NFL offer now and is trying to break his CFL contract, or he is trying to squeeze the Argos for a raise.  
Or he could just be a bit delusional, completely overestimating his prospects in the NFL.  Ego can be a very powerful force.

my home team

Or he could just be a bit delusional, completely overestimating his prospects in the NFL.  Ego can be a very powerful force.
And most professional athletes come well equipped with egos......

ExPat

Or he could just be a bit delusional, completely overestimating his prospects in the NFL.  Ego can be a very powerful force.
And most professional athletes come well equipped with egos......
Definitely.  And it is one of those qualities that is essential in some measure for a football player, but potentially counter-productive in over-abundance.  Like aggression, swagger, risk-taking, self-confidence and greed.

Grover

I think he is underestimating Jim Popp in this.
If he thinks he is going to make Jim Popp succumb to his ultimatum of pay me or release me or else I'm going home,
He is very sadly mistaken.

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

stevehvh

If he thinks he is going to make Jim Popp succumb to his ultimatum of pay me or release me or else I'm going home,
I agree.

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
- Hubert H. Humphrey

Grover

So now Arblows Victor Butler is doing the same thing.  8)

http://3downnation.com/2018/01/26/victor-butler-argonauts-holding-hostage/

The SS Arblows ship is sinking

BillyDee87

This.

And, I believe, as others have posted, that he may have an inflated perception as to the body of work he has put forward..  September 30 in a game against the Cats, and shortly after he sort of "broke out" with a few good performances, he went 13 carries for 49 yards and 3 catches for 32. Kinda average.
"For the sake of humanity" is always the credo of tyranny.

Palmer

Certainly the TSN hype would have added to his perception.  And, who knows, maybe this was just the break he needed?

blackandgld

And maybe this is only a ploy to get a raise for next season. Not much leverage otherwise.

seymour

So there is an opportunity here... since Popp and Wilder are both entrenched in their positions, Kent Tillman should be on the blower right now trying to work out a trade. 
Wilder is the real deal... big, strong, fast back with excellent balance and a very good receiver out of the backfield as well as a good and willing blocker. 
Make the trade and redo Wilder`s contract. Would probably only cost a starter and a first or second rounder or so. We`re talking about the rookie of the year award winner here. ;D

Espo

So there is an opportunity here... since Popp and Wilder are both entrenched in their positions, Kent Tillman should be on the blower right now trying to work out a trade.
Wilder is the real deal... big, strong, fast back with excellent balance and a very good receiver out of the backfield as well as a good and willing blocker.
Make the trade and redo Wilder`s contract. Would probably only cost a second rounder or risk losing him for nothing. We`re talking about the rookie of the year award winner here. ;D
Fixed it for you.  

Extraordinary claims require extraodinary proofs

ExPat

Make the trade and redo Wilder`s contract. Would probably only cost a starter and a first or second rounder or so. We`re talking about the rookie of the year award winner here. ;D
Then if Ricky Ray retires we can trade a starting O-lineman for him as well.

Fill up our whole roster with no-shows.

Grover

Make the trade and redo Wilder`s contract. Would probably only cost a second rounder or risk losing him for nothing. We`re talking about the GUY THAT UNDESERVEDLY STOLE the rookie of the year award FROM RICHARD LEONARD here. ;D
Fixed it for you.  
Fixed it better, besides I like Alex Green

ExPat

He's a smart kid who has done his homework and decided that he's better off to work in his clothing apparel business.   No maintaining two residences this year,  no risk of career ending injury.
Once again ... that's "construction."  He says he is working 60 hours a week in construction at the moment.  As for risk of injury, I guess we would have to know more about the type of construction work he is doing.  Probably safer than pro football, but certainly not risk-free.

Users Online

92 Guests, 5 Users (20 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Lennywasout, Beam reach, pdson2, Google (AdSense) (4), Google (16)

Most Online Today: 124. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)