Slomojo2005

There's a right way to do what he's trying to do. Retire.
i doubt that loophole would work, and an NFL team wouldnt be able to sign him.
XFL ?

Slomojo2005

that wouldn't get around still having a CFL contract in the NFL's eyes.  

The Argos on the other hand would be smart to let him chase that interest.  Easiest way to keep getting those big name FAs and college players signed.  

"hey look, you'd be playing in the biggest market in the country, getting prime exposure and if there happens to be NFL interest, we're very amenable to that.  All we ask is if you don't make the cut, you come back here as a returning star."  

Maybe you sign for a few hundred, or a few thousand less than market value to chase that exposure.
But really, isn’t the CFL not just a training ground or an overflow for NFL?  Yeah so why not let someone venture doqn south to try!  Argos are being idiots for holding him back and forcing his hand.

schmenger

Expected to start 2020.......

Slomojo2005

Wilder is well within the terms of his contract if he chooses to not play and by doing so he also chooses to NOT get paid. It’s how contracts work. Whether we like it or not is irrelevant, this is between him and Argos and the framework of their contract. No harm no foul here.

Hopefully this situation forces the league to finally address these piddly little contracts and establish a better minimum - say $100K for a contract.
No he isn't within the terms of his contract. His contract obliges him to report for work, to practice and, if called upon, to play. It doesn't say "we'll pay you if you happen to feel like showing up sometime." The Argos would be within their rights to suspend him for failure to live up to his part of the bargain.

As for retirement, it isn't a loophole. He still wouldn't be able to play in the NFL in 2018 I believe, he'd still have to wait till 2019. But at least he wouldn't be a shirker, a contract-breaker, a guy who isn't willing to make sacrifices to further his development as a player.

He says he's worried about injury. OK, fair enough. A year-long hiatus isn't likely to do much for his prospects of catching on in the NFL. And what does he think will happen to his career if he gets injured while at an NFL tryout?  

He's a good player. I don't argue with that, or his Rookie of the Year award. It's his choice, he can do what he likes. But I'm not favourably impressed.
So it’s best if he shows up to training camp, gets moody and then voluntarily picks up a clip-board for the entire season????????  Would that do it for you Steveh ????   Real bloody waste of everyone’s time I would say!

bobo82

XFL ?
Apparently the league has a startup date of 2020.

Which means he can sign on in the XFL if he chooses too I  guess ? As long as he doesn't mind busting his hump for two years as a construction worker instead of playing football instead .
15 GREY CUPS for HAMILTON BASED TEAMS

stevehvh

Wilder is well within the terms of his contract if he chooses to not play and by doing so he also chooses to NOT get paid. It’s how contracts work. Whether we like it or not is irrelevant, this is between him and Argos and the framework of their contract. No harm no foul here.

Hopefully this situation forces the league to finally address these piddly little contracts and establish a better minimum - say $100K for a contract.
No he isn't within the terms of his contract. His contract obliges him to report for work, to practice and, if called upon, to play. It doesn't say "we'll pay you if you happen to feel like showing up sometime." The Argos would be within their rights to suspend him for failure to live up to his part of the bargain.

As for retirement, it isn't a loophole. He still wouldn't be able to play in the NFL in 2018 I believe, he'd still have to wait till 2019. But at least he wouldn't be a shirker, a contract-breaker, a guy who isn't willing to make sacrifices to further his development as a player.

He says he's worried about injury. OK, fair enough. A year-long hiatus isn't likely to do much for his prospects of catching on in the NFL. And what does he think will happen to his career if he gets injured while at an NFL tryout?  

He's a good player. I don't argue with that, or his Rookie of the Year award. It's his choice, he can do what he likes. But I'm not favourably impressed.
So it’s best if he shows up to training camp, gets moody and then voluntarily picks up a clip-board for the entire season????????  Would that do it for you Steveh ????   Real bloody waste of everyone’s time I would say!
No, of course not, that's not what I suggested at all. Since he wants to sit out 2018, I suggested he retire. He appears to prefer to stay home rather than play football this season. Personally, I doubt that is the best choice for his career development. I would have thought playing hard and showing that his part season success in 2017 in Toronto wasn't a fluke would be a better idea than walking out mid contract and getting suspended. But it's his choice of course, between him, his agent, and his family.
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
- Hubert H. Humphrey

Crash

XFL ?
he'll be a FA by then

Iconic SR

The contract explains the penalty if player or team defaults. Wilder is willing to take the penalty. It’s like a marriage contract. No one is going to force you to stay married. 

stevehvh

The contract explains the penalty if player or team defaults. Wilder is willing to take the penalty. It’s like a marriage contract. No one is going to force you to stay married.
Very true. How one's reputation is affected by one's conduct in the divorce is another question.

Slomojo2005

Exactly and thatz my point. Once someone’s mindset is made and he/she wants to explore the more lucrative option, might as well let it happen.  So the Argos should just tell him, go check it out if you’d like but come back if it doesnt pan out!

Riggins

Now it would look really bad if Marc Trestman jumped ship to be the Seahawks' OC.

Grover

Statement from Arblows

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

Espo

Statement from Arblows

Still seems short-sighted by the argos here.  I'd almost like to see the Cats adopt a college basketball style approach assuming a "one and done" scenario.

Trying to pull big college stars, get them exposure, show them WINNING here, market ourselves as THE stepping stone to the NFL again.  Hopefully, find a few core guys that love it here and want to stay along the way.
Extraordinary claims require extraodinary proofs

Onemoredork

Maybe Tolliver can catch on in the XFL since hes no longer here.

Lennywasout

Maybe Tolliver can catch on in the XFL since hes no longer here.
Man..you need to find something to do...although you find your posts amusing I’ll bet nobody else does. Some would call this behaviour as being a troll.
How about trying to be engaging instead of a dork...not very endearing.

Users Online

80 Guests, 7 Users (21 Spiders, 3 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
ticats28, Mightygoose, Lennywasout, Beam reach, Google (AdSense) (3), Google (18)

Most Online Today: 129. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)