Espo

I'll agree Masoli made the garbage Oline we started the season with look slightly better.  

Noticed you flipped Washington and Holmes.  Matthews made a huge impact on the line (also allowing Washington to shift over to blind side tackle)  and the Oline has been better for it ever since.  How much of that is Masoli allowing them more time to learn to block as a unit and gel?  who knows 

but check the game stats when Masoli played in Collaros starts.  Both their numbers are terrible.  

Loved the game Masoli put up last week.  Can't argue that he's come a long way, and his running ability puts the defense on edge more than our ELEVEN rush attempts by actual running backs ever could.  

He's very good. 

(that said, if Zach comes back anywhere close to 2015 levels, this management group will be the laughing stock of the league for another 15 years. )
Extraordinary claims require extraodinary proofs

toddstattoo

I truly hope June Jones returns
Oskee Wee Wee

DisplacedCatsFan

I do.
Lots of people defending Collaros and the fact that he didn't get a chance with Jones running the show. Was the OLine that different when Masoli was behind centre?
Is the reason the OLine was better because Masoli isnt always just standing in the pocket?
Yes.
No - as explained by Espo.  Having a MUCH better Defence helped as well, seeing as they actually stopped the opposition from running the field on a  regular basis.  Not to mention an actual running game (Gable/Green) had the opposition respect the run and gave Masoli more time in the pocket.  Even then, he managed to bounce balls to receivers 10-yards away...
Formerly sigpig

Velox Versutus Vigilans

R.I.P. Cpl Nathan Cirillo Albainn Gu Brath

Obrigardo

I'll agree Masoli made the garbage Oline we started the season with look slightly better.  

Noticed you flipped Washington and Holmes.  Matthews made a huge impact on the line (also allowing Washington to shift over to blind side tackle)  and the Oline has been better for it ever since.  How much of that is Masoli allowing them more time to learn to block as a unit and gel?  who knows

but check the game stats when Masoli played in Collaros starts.  Both their numbers are terrible.  

Loved the game Masoli put up last week.  Can't argue that he's come a long way, and his running ability puts the defense on edge more than our ELEVEN rush attempts by actual running backs ever could.  

He's very good.

(that said, if Zach comes back anywhere close to 2015 levels, this management group will be the laughing stock of the league for another 15 years. )
You think Zack will star into his 40s

Obrigardo

Why does no one complain that austin lost 8 in a row and never gave masolli a start

150GAGE

Austin had to start ZC, as he had to fall on his sword ( giving the bone headed contract to ZC)

It' faulty logic that the team would have been 12-6 or 11-7, if we had JJ AND JM at the start of the season.  We played the weakest teams at the back end of the schedule. (Maybe if we played Allouttes twice in the beginning part and twice in the second part of the season, lol!)

Also we could have easily lost some of the games we won, notably labour day (some calls went our way and thunderstorms); and BC game was very close) So we could have been 4-6 in JJ era.
Our record is pretty indicative at 6-12; to say anything else just wouldn't be true.

Let's sign JJ and build the team; may need to get rid of some fan favourites who are talented but do not fit in the future structure(chemistry) of a championship team.

ExPat

Why does no one complain that austin lost 8 in a row and never gave masolli a start
Good point.  I have never heard anyone mention those things before.  

Lennywasout

Good point.  I have never heard anyone mention those things before.  
I’m not going to go through all the threads but there were posters who questioned why a “Masoli” package wasn’t used when the team was struggling.  We saw Austin do that in previous years specifically in Guelph to much success.  I think he pulled Burris for LeFevor a series or two as a change of pace (and success) and it seemed to spark the team.  Why he didn’t do it this year is odd.  

ExPat

Not sure about that Lenny.  I don’t think I’ve seen any discussions on this board about who should start at QB.  I might have missed a thread or two.  

Slomojo2005

Well I'm very appreciative of the Cats turn around during the second half of the season lead by Jones, there are decisions he made that I haven't been happy with and lead me to question whether he should be back next season.

1.   The Collaros situation.  Now whether you prefer one QB over another, I think it's important to know what your team has moving forward.  I've said this before, the offensive line was terrible before Jones came here, which affected Collaros play, and heavily contributed to our team's 0-8 start.  Since fixing it, Zach has had a total of 3 plays behind that line.  Jones had several opportunities to see how Zach would perform, but failed to take advantage of these situations.  Jones was short-sighted.  Looking to win sooner rather than later, and I understand that to some degree because he was coaching for a job too.  But when the Cats were eliminated from the playoffs, and Jones proved he could be successful winning in the CFL, and when he earned the respect and support of his players, that was another opportunity he squandered where Zach could have played.  Seeing what Zach could do long term would help our Cats realize he again is much better QB than Masoli, and we don't need or want Manziel.  Again the last thing I want to see is Zach join the team down the QEW, Masoli leave here via free agency, Manziel fail here in Hamilton and Collaros lead the blue team to the Grey Cup next year and be more successful on the field for more years to come.

2.  Offensive plays.  While this has improved, does anybody remember the last play of the game hosting Saskatchewan and setting up in shot gun on the 1 yard line?  Now I'm not saying the Cats would have scored a TD on that play or won the game, but a poor decision like that doesn't put a team in the best situation to win, and that's what coaches are supposed to do.

These are two situations I'm not happy with Jones about.  And as a result I'm not sure if he should be back coaching next season.
I agree totally. I dont believe that JJ’s coaching is the reason behind resurgence. The turn around has more to do with “anything but Austin” than “ Jones “.  The O-line was horrible when Zack was playing, the D not much better and so on!  Everyone rolled their socks up when Austin stepped down. So..... June Jones offers a different style than Austin, that was fully endorsed by team.  Just how long the honeymoon will last is anyone’s guess but rest assured, it will not last. Then who?  We Need players and one BIG player is going to be released because TiCat management and coaches have their heads in the sand ( this is a family program or I would have used another hiding place).

Slomojo2005

Noticed you flipped Washington and Holmes.  Matthews made a huge impact on the line (also allowing Washington to shift over to blind side tackle)  and the Oline has been better for it ever since.  How much of that is Masoli allowing them more time to learn to block as a unit and gel?  who knows

but check the game stats when Masoli played in Collaros starts.  Both their numbers are terrible.  

Loved the game Masoli put up last week.  Can't argue that he's come a long way, and his running ability puts the defense on edge more than our ELEVEN rush attempts by actual running backs ever could.  

He's very good.

Unfortunately I will be laughing too, bone head move if as we suspect, Zack is gone!

Slomojo2005

I do.
Lots of people defending Collaros and the fact that he didn't get a chance with Jones running the show. Was the OLine that different when Masoli was behind centre?
Is the reason the OLine was better because Masoli isnt always just standing in the pocket?
Seriously?
Well lets use week 8 of Collaros 0-8 performance as an example
who was his starting 5 O-Linemen?
Washington, Bomben, Filer, Revenberg, Holmes
I know that you don't agree but I think Colaros's total lack of mobility this season was a huge factor in the O-Line struggles.
Well let’s take a closer look at that week 8 game.  Who was coaching?  Did the players give a darn about their play for said coach? Mobility my eye!  You would have had to be a combination of Bolt, Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Bo Jackson  to escape the opposition Defensive rushes.  We all do recall how badly our O-line collapsed during those games!  Horseshoe’d right around Zack, nowhere to run !!!! Maybe Houdini was needed not Mobility!

Ti-Guy

Just caught the end of a call on Friday's 5th. Quarter and haven't had the opportunity to bring up the podcast to get the full call. Someone was making a stand against bringing JJ back. Didn't catch all the caller's thoughts but I believe it had something to do with the Briles hire and June's part in that. If Jones comes back I think he was giving up his season tickets? Did anyone else hear the complete call and get the guy's beef?

Crash

Just caught the end of a call on Friday's 5th. Quarter and haven't had the opportunity to bring up the podcast to get the full call. Someone was making a stand against bringing JJ back. Didn't catch all the caller's thoughts but I believe it had something to do with the Briles hire and June's part in that. If Jones comes back I think he was giving up his season tickets? Did anyone else hear the complete call and get the guy's beef?
Interesting. There were a few of those on this forum that changed their tune once the team started winning.

Good on that caller for sticking to his morals and not getting emotional.

blackandgld

I do.
Seriously?
Well lets use week 8 of Collaros 0-8 performance as an example
who was his starting 5 O-Linemen?
Washington, Bomben, Filer, Revenberg, Holmes
I know that you don't agree but I think Colaros's total lack of mobility this season was a huge factor in the O-Line struggles.
Well let’s take a closer look at that week 8 game.  Who was coaching?  Did the players give a darn about their play for said coach? Mobility my eye!  You would have had to be a combination of Bolt, Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Bo Jackson  to escape the opposition Defensive rushes.  We all do recall how badly our O-line collapsed during those games!  Horseshoe’d right around Zack, nowhere to run !!!! Maybe Houdini was needed not Mobility!
I think the point is it is a lot easier to pin your ears back as a defensive player when you know exactly where your target will be. Whether rushing the passer or run blitz. It affects both aspects of the game.
Don't get me wrong, I think that Collaros is a better QB than Masoli when both are at their best. HOWEVER when you take in to account past injury (Collaros has a hard time staying healthy), wear and tear (Zach does not appear to be the same guy as before the knee), and salary obligations it will not be a mistake when the Cats brass free Collaros from the team. He would be expected to be the top  player in the league according to his contract value. I don't think he will reach that level again.

Users Online

66 Guests, 3 Users (16 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
letsgoticats, ExPat, Yahoo!, Google (15)

Most Online Today: 116. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)