Crash

The real heart of the problem is that the league has been unable to consistently call illegal contact.

Limiting coaches to 1 challenge doesn't solve the problem, it just means that teams will get away with illegal contact more often in critical situations.

Eliminating the penalty for illegal contact isn't a good option: the current implementation of the rule was brought in because passing offenses were getting locked down too much under the old rules, which is where *really* boring games were coming from.

Many people insist that illegal contact away from the ball shouldn't be a penalty, but the reality is that illegal contact away from the ball *does* affect the play by taking away one of the QBs potential targets. Again, the whole point of the current version of the rule was to make it easier for receivers to get open.

The tipping point last season was the accusation that Dave Dickenson was drawing up plays where he had certain receivers in the play deliberately instigating contact with defenders to create opportunities to challenge for illegal contact when desired.
Just to clarify I don't want to get rid of the rule...just the ability to challenge illegal contact away from the ball.

Slomojo2005

How about IC away from the play being a 5 yard penalty, no auto 1st down?  Plus, I’d like to see the officials more aware of the 5 yard from line of scrimmage leeway when allowing for legal contact, or ideally for me, increase it to 10 yards.

Lastly, how about two challenges, one per half?  And only PI, not IC?
Love your idea Palmer re: 5yds for away feom the play infraction.  I hate that QB can look at one side of the field entirely, throw an incompletion and then have an illegal use of hands penalty way over on the other side of field that results in 1st down.  Ridiculous! 

Slomojo2005

1 challenge, use it very wisely.
It was the Head Coaches in this league that abused the right to have more than 1 challenge.
Agree Grover.    Coaching “witch hunting for penalties” led to change.  But I also think the league should do better than the single challenge to allow that plays are called correctly.  The review booth should be mandated to do so, thatz why they were constituted!!!! Get it Right!

Crash

1 challenge, use it very wisely.
It was the Head Coaches in this league that abused the right to have more than 1 challenge.
Agree Grover.    Coaching “witch hunting for penalties” led to change.  But I also think the league should do better than the single challenge to allow that plays are called correctly.  The review booth should be mandated to do so, thatz why they were constituted!!!! Get it Right!
Coaches didn't witch hunt for penalties before they included illegal contact. Up to 3 challenges was working fine until they added IC. Issue with slow games was because the command centre was terrible and couldn't administer the rules. Current NFL challenge system is working fine....add PI to that and let's go.

Users Online

78 Guests, 11 Users (9 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
pdson2, Mightygoose, Hamilton2005, Rick16, ExPat, Oskie18, Cool, Grover, J_15, Google (AdSense) (4), Google (5)

Most Online Today: 152. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)