Crash

Now this is cool!

How to make money betting on Johnny Manziel

Johnny Manziel’s CFL career is only a small number of days old but his presence is already having an impact – on the betting lines.
Several bookmakers, including Bodog, have issued updated 2018 Grey Cups that see the Hamilton Tiger-Cats making a big jump after signing Manziel over the weekend. On Bodog, for example, The Ticats jumped from 9-to-1 a day after the Grey Cup (seventh-best after B.C. and just ahead of Ottawa) to 11/2 as of Monday – second-best behind Calgary (who are 11/5 to win it all.)
Here’s the full list.
                                               11/27/17            Current Odds
Calgary Stampeders                  3/1                    11/5
Hamilton Tiger-Cats                 9/1                    11/2
Edmonton Eskimos                   5/1                    13/2
Saskatchewan Roughriders      5/1                    7/1
Toronto Argonauts                    7/1                    7/1
Winnipeg Blue Bombers          7/1                    15/2
British Columbia Lions             7/1                    11/1
Ottawa Redblacks                     10/1                  11/1
Montreal Alouettes                    16/1                  14/1

more here
http://3downnation.com/2018/05/22/gambling-enthusiasts-can-bet-on-various-johnny-manziel-cfl-props/
I think the best bet on that board is Ottawa.

longtimetcfan

I’ve been on the fence re whether Manziel is going to be a positive or negative, other than possible disruption with a (possible) media circus or locker room issues. But I do believe Manziel’s supporters (and perhaps Manziel himself) are underestimating the differences he’s going to have to adjust to in the CFL game.

Many have mentioned the 12th defender. There’s also the extra wide field, with dbs waiting for the loooong, late throw and intercept.

The 20 second clock to call the play, line up and figure out the defensive setup and put the ball into play. Much faster than college or NFL football.

Facing defensive alignments with a possible 5, 6... even 8 player blitz! 1-3 seconds to release the ball. Overall, a much faster pace and decision making.

I’m not saying Manziel can’t adjust, just that it may not be as easy or fast as some think or give him credit for.

guelphcatsfan

The link to Chris Carter on YouTube I think is solid.  It is interesting how they think he'll make the jump to starter right away.  

I do think he'll be a solid back up and have the No. 2 position early on.

To our American friends, if you've never been a fan before, the subtle differences between the CFL and NFL are hard to spot at first but they add up to significant challenges.  Can he do it!  No doubt, but it won't happen week one.  

I love Masoli but he has some cringe-inducing moments, ex. dropping back 15 yards and taking a sack.  

I picture Johnny coming in for a series here or there.

Good luck to us! 

pw13

The 20 second clock to call the play, line up and figure out the defensive setup and put the ball into play. Much faster than college or NFL football.

That's a myth, unfortunately. Unlike the old days when the 20-second clock began as soon as yardsticks and ball were placed, refs now don't start the 20 until all substitutions have been made. Often there are 35-45 actual seconds between the whistle to end a play and the snap starting the next play.

ExPat

That's a myth, unfortunately. Unlike the old days when the 20-second clock began as soon as yardsticks and ball were placed, refs now don't start the 20 until all substitutions have been made. Often there are 35-45 actual seconds between the whistle to end a play and the snap starting the next play.
Agreed.  If it made a difference we would be running a lot more plays in CFL games than they do in NFL games, but I believe the number of plays is similar.

longtimetcfan

Not necessarily. It often depends on the head ref. Some give more time than others whereas others blow the play in once the huddle has formed (yes, subs have come in), but the play still needs to be called, line up, view defence, etc. within 20 seconds.

I forgot to mention another possible adjustment... all the motion from backs and receivers. I would think it a bit confusing for a (new) qb not familiar with backs and receivers in full motion in the CFL vs college and the NFL. All that offensive motion (ie, changing from one side of the offensive formation to the other side) results in, and affects, the defensive players often moving all over their backfield, ie, across the qb’s field of vision.

Grover

8)  8)  8)

OverDrive 1050‏Verified account
@OverDrive1050
3h3 hours ago
Jam-packed edition of OverDrive this afternoon:

@MapleLeafs President @BrendanShanahan IN-STUDIO at 4:30
@NYIslanders President of Hockey Ops Lou Lamoriello at 5:05
@rayferrarotsn at 6:05
@Ticats QB @JManziel2 at 6:25

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

Onemoredork

Day 3. 
Scale of 1-10. What was "gongshow"/"distraction" today ?

canadianfootballfan

Day 3.
Scale of 1-10?  0.0000001

CatsFaninOttawa

I forgot to mention another possible adjustment... all the motion from backs and receivers. I would think it a bit confusing for a (new) qb not familiar with backs and receivers in full motion in the CFL vs college and the NFL. All that offensive motion (ie, changing from one side of the offensive formation to the other side) results in, and affects, the defensive players often moving all over their backfield, ie, across the qb’s field of vision.
That's probably the part about the motion that would affect the QB the most, the defensive motion that is triggered by the possibly six offensive players in motion - two along the line, and the other four full speed straight at them after possibly changing sides behind the line. The defence can't be caught flat-footed, so they're in motion as well. Hard to make reads just by looking at where the defence lines up. Need to know who's moving where before the snap, and of course know where your own players are moving behind you, to figure out what the match-ups are.

pw13

Not necessarily. It often depends on the head ref. Some give more time than others whereas others blow the play in once the huddle has formed (yes, subs have come in), but the play still needs to be called, line up, view defence, etc. within 20 seconds.

I've not noticed any significant variance between refs on this, and I imagine if some refs were starting the clock faster than others, coaches would scream about it. The play call can be and often is under way in the huddle before the 20 starts. There are no more plays in a CFL game than an NFL game, which has a straight 40-second clock from whistle to snap, and some NFL games have a lot more plays than we do. The Patriots once ran off 91 plays themselves during a game -- some CFL games have 91 offensive snaps combined between the two teams.

I've watched the clock in stadium more than once. From whistle to next snap is rarely under 30 seconds of elapsed time, and has been as many as 45 seconds when I've been watching it.

smokeystover

If Johnny can help us win a Grey Cup, be it as a 2nd or 3rd string back up, or a 2 QB tandem, or occasional packages, or even clearly beating out all others, I can withstand the media hype and the kid's past indiscretions. He is trying to move forward and even is admitting that there are nuances he has now discovered in the CFL game he had not initially considered, and he is dealing with them. Not much more we can ask for. And for those who continue to harp about his moral or other shortcomings, many of our revered TiCat heroes, some on our Hall of Fame etc., were not choir boys or angels while in the Hammer, much less when they were 2 year old kids. So let's stop passing judgment  on the kid and see if he can perform and HELP make  the Cats a better team. If he can't, we move on, as will he have to move on. I have been a fan since the 50's,  so to paraphrase an insurance commercial,  " I know a thing or two".

SeaFiddle

I’ve been on the fence re whether Manziel is going to be a positive or negative, other than possible disruption with a (possible) media circus or locker room issues. But I do believe Manziel’s supporters (and perhaps Manziel himself) are underestimating the differences he’s going to have to adjust to in the CFL game.

Many have mentioned the 12th defender. There’s also the extra wide field, with dbs waiting for the loooong, late throw and intercept.

Facing defensive alignments with a possible 5, 6... even 8 player blitz! 1-3 seconds to release the ball. Overall, a much faster pace and decision making.

I’m not saying Manziel can’t adjust, just that it may not be as easy or fast as some think or give him credit for.
You make some good points and I certainly have modified my opinion about JF being able to jump right in and take over.  But here are some perspectives you might consider when listening to the Americans.

I keep hearing Masoli, Masoli, Masoli.... You act like we don't know who Masoli is... I watched Jeremiah Mosoli play football at Oregon for two years... long before you ever heard of him.  Masoli was a good QB. Maybe even a very good QB.  But the people who have watched JF from the time he played in high school through college didn't just see a good QB...not just a very good QB.... They saw a phenom.  A kid that turned the football world upside down.  A kid that the best defenses in the country couldn't stop.  A kid that led his weaker team to defeat the number one college in the nation on their home field. The only college freshman to ever to win the Heisman.  

Considering those things, it shouldn't be hard to understand why those of us who haven't been watching the CFL don't quite understand why there is so much confidence in Masoli and so little in Manziel. 

As far as his troubles.  Remember that Manziel left college early and the two years that he spent playing for the Browns should have been spent playing for A&M.  Leaving college early was a huge mistake and contributed to him immature behavior.

Ok got that off of my chest.  As for now.... Is Masoli better at Canadian Football than JF.  Of course he is... He has been playing it for 7 years... It's obvious that he knows exactly what he is doing at this point. JF is the willing student.  Does that mean that Masoli is better than Manziel? Not at all!  JF will catch up. I won't speculate on how long that will take or what it will look like.....but it will happen. 

longtimetcfan

Day 3.
The only gong show is from those obsessed with constantly mentioning “distractions” and waiting to prove others wrong  ::)

longtimetcfan

I've not noticed any significant variance between refs on this, and I imagine if some refs were starting the clock faster than others, coaches would scream about it. The play call can be and often is under way in the huddle before the 20 starts. There are no more plays in a CFL game than an NFL game, which has a straight 40-second clock from whistle to snap, and some NFL games have a lot more plays than we do. The Patriots once ran off 91 plays themselves during a game -- some CFL games have 91 offensive snaps combined between the two teams.

I've watched the clock in stadium more than once. From whistle to next snap is rarely under 30 seconds of elapsed time, and has been as many as 45 seconds when I've been watching it.
I guess we can continue to disagree :)

I just know I sometimes wonder when the ref will blow in play (waits until huddle is fully formed and then some) while others will call in play while players (usually receivers) are still 3-5 yards from the huddle.

But maybe that’s just my perception... especially when the other team is on offence re extra long pause to whistle in play :)

Users Online

91 Guests, 24 Users (15 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Ticatsfan25, rpaege, Lyle B. Style, bobo82, MadJack, tabbiefan72, stevehvh, Mightygoose, Obrigardo, DisplacedCatsFan, guelphcatsfan, Clawed2bitz, Rick16, Onemoredork, heapbag, FormerlyTurkish, RBFan2014, KevinRiley2, MtlerinVan, chiefdkm, DavidThompson, letsgoticats, Google (AdSense) (9), Google (6)

Most Online Today: 168. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)