Hammertown Proud

I'm not an old, so I am not afraid of "downtown".

Often during the summer, on a Friday night, I would cab down to stonewalls. Start there. Grab a beer and make my way to James St North. Walk my way down to Barton, hitting up the small pubs and resteraunts along the way. On the way back I hit up King William St for stop at hmbrgr or fshnchps.

One of the side streets with the Acclamation project has a property where a great blues band played outdoors until 11pm.

Having lived in Hamilton my whole life, I remember what that area used to be like...so I can appreciate how it has turned around.

Hamilton is not scary nor a dangerous place....

SteelCitySteve

100% right Hammertown, 100% wrong BillyDee.

I'll agree the location of THF is wrong, but you can place the blame for that squarely on the shoulders of the Ticats. The City had a plan for an entire district by the harbour, AEG (which is basically the largest arena management company in the world) was interested in managing it. Their CEO also happened to be the chair of the NHL expansion / relocation committee, read into that what you will.

I'm assuming the "primo" location for sports facilities would be in the suburbs, off a highway....like they used to do in the 70s and 80s? Funny how all the cities are now following Hamilton's lead, building downtown arenas and stadiums.

If there is one thing downtown has, its parking. If you cant find a space its because you don't want to pay $3.00 or you simply don't come downtown often enough to be familiar.

Sketchy characters yes, but most are harmless and every large city is going to have them, its not unique to Hamilton.

hendy77

Actually...BillyDee is right. But so is Hammertown!

It is all the things BillyDee says it is. His points about the location etc. is a bit off, but only because the Dogs moved in there way after the thing was built.

However, Hammertown is right and I find myself in his camp as far as loving this place and being proud of it, for what it is...warts and all.

I do know many people who hate coming here or going down there from other areas in this city.

So, the city has work to do in cleaning up...including the image. But the "leaders" we have here will never do it, so that's why I support term limits.
Is it June (2018) yet?

jonny24eh

I'm not a big hockey fan, so I've only been to a game or two with a friend a couple years ago. But I listen to FM 96 in London all the time, and the Knights are truly their "Ticats" , probably even more so. Huge pump ups for playoff, know all the players,  rivalries and chirps with other cities... Hamilton needs to get a bit of that going on. Being in a division with more southwestern Ontario teams would definitely help with that I think. 
The poster formerly known as jonny24.

Eat\'em raw!

danoc_86

great points J24

The Bulldogs need to spark a rivalry like Kitchener has with London and Guelph definitely helps to draw large crowds   

tabbyfan

When I visited a friend in Hamilton around 1996 he took me to Bull Dogs game, but they were AHL then; as he said, you could fire a cannon in the place and not hit anyone.  We bought cheap tickets and moved down after the first, no one cared.

-Hammer-

The other problem too, which is more a Toronto problem then a Hamilton problem but we still get some of it, is that the Bulldogs aren't the only game in town, as is the case for many of the more successful OHL markets. Dropping $500 bucks for season tickets is a lot of money for some and if you have to pick between sports, you generally gravitate towards the larger, more successful experience.

In most OHL markets, the OHL team is the only game in town, which the exceptions of Ottawa and arguably Mississauga (sorry, it is a bit of a suburb of Toronto) and both of them clearly suffer being in the Shadow of the NHL team nearby (especially given the relocation whispers surrounding Mississauga).

What it really comes down to though, is Hamilton is slightly above the middle of the pack in attendance, in a market with poor history given that it has suffered 3-4 relocations (Tiger-Cubs, Fincups, Steelhawks and Dukes), who is only in its 3rd year, has yet to make a deep playoff run and is playing in the east division that it really shouldn't be in.

If they were playing out of a 5,000 seat arena, they'd be a success story, but sadly the expectation for Hamilton is that they fill the entire lower bowl of Copps, every game. Something that only the two top teams in the league are doing now (London and Kitchener) and they are two of the league's most.

TravelPat1

Boy - who knew I lived in a 'borderline ghetto'  just a couple of blocks from FOC.  Seems a lot of people want to move into our ghetto.  Condos in my building on Queen directly west of FOC have gone up by over $100,000 in the last few years with some that sold for $200,000 or less a few years ago now getting multiple offers as soon as they go on the market at well over $300,000.

Sure there is the odd homeless person floating about - but you see more and more great restaurants opening in the area and more and more young professional couples moving into the neighbourhood too with more 'nice' condo buildings scheduled to be completed in the area over the next few years. 

The only real issue IMO in the neighbourhood - the homeless shelter directly across the street from FOC which seems to have an issue requiring cops multiple times per week. Otherwise I quite like my neighbourhood.   

danoc_86

In Waterloo the Rec Complex holds 3,500 with a max capacity of 4,400. way over size 

They will never get an OHL team as it would take away fans from kitchener as well as large corporate sponsorship.

They Waterloo Siskins play there they only draw 300-500 people, doesn't make for a great atmosphere.

It would be great if Hamilton had this type of rink

Grover

As far as I know, the Bulldogs have one more year after this season in their Lease at FOC

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

danoc_86

I imagine they would renew hopefully get a good deal on the lease as its 34 days out of the year plus playoffs.

going to try hard to make the away game for Kitchener. if i go will wear my Gerald Vaughn jersey from the 99 grey cup team and Ranger hat.

have watched the rangers play in London, Guelph, Peterborough and Saginaw twice

Any Bulldogs fan that want to take in an away game Saginaw is great 4 Tickets and hotel $99 US. its on Saginaw website great deal, can do some shopping and visit Frankenmuth Chritmas store in experience in itself  

-Hammer-

As far as I know, the Bulldogs have one more year after this season in their Lease at FOC
I would presume they would get a renewal, but they would likely leverage the fact that key renovations need to be done to the facility since they can't host a memorial cup into getting a more favorable deal. 

I don't think Andlauer would have gone through a color rebranding just to quit now, and I don't think Core is going to let 34+2 to 16 additional postseason dates, plus generally 1 World Juniors or Canada Russia series, plus a potential Memorial Cup game just walk away. That said, I really wish the city would put some more love into the facility for hockey. He's been nothing but a loyal owner and a boon to the city, I'd like to see someone scratch his back for once.

I imagine they would renew hopefully get a good deal on the lease as its 34 days out of the year plus playoffs.

going to try hard to make the away game for Kitchener. if i go will wear my Gerald Vaughn jersey from the 99 grey cup team and Ranger hat.

have watched the rangers play in London, Guelph, Peterborough and Saginaw twice

Any Bulldogs fan that want to take in an away game Saginaw is great 4 Tickets and hotel $99 US. its on Saginaw website great deal, can do some shopping and visit Frankenmuth Chritmas store in experience in itself  
At some point I plan on visisting each OHL area, so this is good to know. That said, every year Bulldogs season ticket holders seem to get an emailed a hotel deal in Birch Run (between Flint and Saginaw) that has free tickets, because usually both get taken care of on the same road trip.

danoc_86

would like to do that as well Hammer.

I said I would like to do that with NHL arenas but that gets expensive lol so far have been to 9 NHL arenas.

pretty sad when you can drive to Ottawa to watch the leafs play premium seats 2 tickets and hotel for 2 nights $ 586 same seats ACC $625 for two tickets. If I lived closer to Ottawa 2-3 hours drive would cheer for the sens.

BillyDee87

Seems a lot of people want to move into our ghetto.  Condos in my building on Queen directly west of FOC have gone up by over $100,000 in the last few years with some that sold for $200,000 or less a few years ago now getting multiple offers as soon as they go on the market at well over $300,000.

Sure there is the odd homeless person floating about - but you see more and more great restaurants opening in the area and more and more young professional couples moving into the neighbourhood too with more 'nice' condo buildings scheduled to be completed in the area over the next few years.

The only real issue IMO in the neighbourhood - the homeless shelter directly across the street from FOC which seems to have an issue requiring cops multiple times per week. Otherwise I quite like my neighbourhood.  
Don't confuse a spike in price due to higher demand, which is not happening, with the upward pressure on ALL Hamilton properties due to the huge RE bubble in Toronto, which is happening.  Nice try though.

Also, RE pricing aside, your argument seems to be "none of those things said about the neighbourhood are true, except the things that are true."
"For the sake of humanity" is always the credo of tyranny.

TravelPat1

Hey BillyDee I've lived downtown for about 3 years now and it is noticeably better in that short time with new trendy galleries, cafes, boutique shops and in demand restaurants popping up all the time. Gore park looks fantastic now. There are now 4 cranes in view of my place with new multistory developments being built with others in the planning stages. So things are looking up.

It is true - like all urban downtown areas it bears the bulk of the less fortunate - like homeless - but the improvements are noticeable since my move here and this area is actually better than some areas of downtown Toronto within a block or two of the Eaton Centre - that I and thousands of other Torontonians walked through on a daily basis getting to and from work, shopping or to access other services (like my gym in the Eaton Centre)  without giving it a second thought. I certainly came across more homeless people on a daily basis when I lived in TO than where I live now.

So when I hear Halmiltonians use the excuses they do to avoid it (and hence avoid Bulldogs games) and somewhat trash downtown - it surprises me.
Often during the summer, on a Friday night, I would cab down to stonewalls. Start there. Grab a beer and make my way to James St North. Walk my way down to Barton, hitting up the small pubs and resteraunts along the way. On the way back I hit up King William St for stop at hmbrgr or fshnchps.

One of the side streets with the Acclamation project has a property where a great blues band played outdoors until 11pm.

Having lived in Hamilton my whole life, I remember what that area used to be like...so I can appreciate how it has turned around.

Hamilton is not scary nor a dangerous place....
The band you refer to I suspect is the Mulberry Street Porchin Band. They play on the porch of my friend Jo-anne's place the Friday night of Art Crawl each month spring through fall. Her husband is in the band.

Users Online

88 Guests, 16 Users (12 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Lyle B. Style, KevinRiley2, TeddyFay, brihind88, batkinson001, Niagara Als, Taleback, drummer_god, Lennywasout, letsgoticats, CFL in QC, smogmonster, StampsRock!, Sidney, Rick16, Yahoo!, Google (11)

Most Online Today: 152. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)