Grover

Former NFL OL Tyler Johnstone to be eligible for CFL supplemental draft

http://3downnation.com/2018/05/14/former-nfl-ol-tyler-johnstone-eligible-cfl-supplemental-draft/

As for Johnstone and his pro three-down prospects, he has the ability to be a ratio-breaking offensive tackle in the CFL.
“He’s going to be a first-round pick,” one CFL scout said about Johnstone.

Should we bid our 2019 2nd?
We have MTL's 2019 2nd from the Bomben trade

Every other team would have to bid their 2019 1st to beat us out.  :)

We all know that Coach Jones loves his Oregon Ducks

How the suppllementary draft works
Each CFL team has the option to “bid” on the player by forfeiting a selection in the 2019 CFL Draft and the process continues based on waiver priority – the reverse order of the 2018 draft – until the highest choice is identified

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

letsgoticats

I don't pay a ton of attention to CFL prospects, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Looking at this guy's resume, he seems like he'd be a strong contender to have been a first overall pick in the draft.  If that's the case, should we not be bidding our first round pick on him?  The CFL draft seems like a real crapshoot anyways, when a guy has a resume like this why not take a shot at him?

Grover

If we bid our 2019 1st, Only Mtl could outbid us

PatLynch

Be careful what you wish for in the supplemental draft. I recall a certain Zac Carlson, OL, Weber State, in 2010.  The Cats wasted their #1 pick in the 2011 draft because of the Carlson pick.  You really have to do your homework on the supp. draft because for every Ted Laurent(Esks), there seems to be many Carlsons, Poblahs, Wagoners(sp), etc. .

Pat Lynch (the old guy)

bobo82

Be careful what you wish for in the supplemental draft. I recall a certain Zac Carlson, OL, Weber State, in 2010.  The Cats wasted their #1 pick in the 2011 draft because of the Carlson pick.  You really have to do your homework on the supp. draft because for every Ted Laurent(Esks), there seems to be many Carlsons, Poblahs, Wagoners(sp), etc. .

Pat Lynch (the old guy)
Good point Pat . Outside of big Teddy being the exception and not the norm I honestly can't recall the last time if ever for that matter that one of these supplemental draft picks have ever panned out for the team that selected them . Not quite sure what the reason is but for the most part these supplemental picks it seems usually turn out to be rather large duds .
15 GREY CUPS for HAMILTON BASED TEAMS

ExPat

Maybe the temptation is too great to try to improve this year’s team by “borrowing” from next year’s draft picks.  Coaches and GMs have their jobs on the line every year.  

of course

Our O-Line is set this year.  We have proven starters, solid Canadians, and kids in the pipeline.  We do not need to take this kid in the supplemental.

The only circumstance under which I would take this kid is if another team communicated to us that if we took him, and traded him to that team, they would trade us a player to fill an immediate need for us, and their first round pick next year, as part of the deal.

Grover

I agree with the above, I would not want to give up a 1st.
That is why I suggested our 2nd round pick, I hope our 2019 2nd would be in the 16th pick or higher.
We do hold the MTL 2nd round pick from the Bomben trade, I suspect that pick could be the 10th overall pick.
By the time we bid every other team but MTL has bid and MTL cannot bid a 2nd because we hold their pick.
If another team bids a 1st we pass and our 2019 MTL 2nd becomes a 1st round pick(9th overall)  ;)

We are in a good position for this supp. draft.

The Supp. draft usually happens around late June/ early July

DisplacedCatsFan

Be careful what you wish for in the supplemental draft. I recall a certain Zac Carlson, OL, Weber State, in 2010.  The Cats wasted their #1 pick in the 2011 draft because of the Carlson pick.  You really have to do your homework on the supp. draft because for every Ted Laurent(Esks), there seems to be many Carlsons, Poblahs, Wagoners(sp), etc. .

Pat Lynch (the old guy)
Good point Pat . Outside of big Teddy being the exception and not the norm I honestly can't recall the last time if ever for that matter that one of these supplemental draft picks have ever panned out for the team that selected them . Not quite sure what the reason is but for the most part these supplemental picks it seems usually turn out to be rather large duds .
IIRC, Revenberg was selected in the supplemental draft...
Formerly sigpig

Velox Versutus Vigilans

R.I.P. Cpl Nathan Cirillo Albainn Gu Brath

PatLynch

Brandon Revenberg was the 3rd over all pick by the Cats in the 2016 CFL Draft. It has proven to be a strong draft for the Cats : Timmis, Faubert- Lussier, Terrel Davis, Mike Jones, and of course our first rounder Brandon Revenberg.

Pat Lynch (the old guy)

letsgoticats

Supplemental draft picks do have a poor track record, but all CFL picks do.

Our last four first overall picks:

• Chapman (too soon to tell)
  • Gaydosh (lots of injuries, played in 10 games here)
  • Barker (injuries forced retirement, great special teams player)
  • Bauman (never topped 300 receiving yds in a season)

Now I have no idea how the Ticats scouts feel about Tyler Johnstone.  But if they really like him, I wouldn't be afraid to give up a 1st round pick for him.

HfxTC

I agree with the above, I would not want to give up a 1st.
That is why I suggested our 2nd round pick, I hope our 2019 2nd would be in the 16th pick or higher.
We do hold the MTL 2nd round pick from the Bomben trade, I suspect that pick could be the 10th overall pick.
By the time we bid every other team but MTL has bid and MTL cannot bid a 2nd because we hold their pick.
If another team bids a 1st we pass and our 2019 MTL 2nd becomes a 1st round pick(9th overall)  ;)

We are in a good position for this supp. draft.

The Supp. draft usually happens around late June/ early July
LOL... Your getting a little ahead of yourself there Grover. How do you know the Als pick will be the 10th. pick? possible, probable but there is a whole season of football to play and injuries can and do happen.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.

Grover

LOL... Your getting a little ahead of yourself there Grover. How do you know the Als pick will be the 10th. pick? possible, probable but there is a whole season of football to play and injuries can and do happen.
That is exactly why I used the words "I suspect" and "could",
rather than "I know" and "will"

;)

canadianfootballfan

It seems odd to draft someone who has already played some pro football.

ExPat

That is exactly why I used the words "I suspect" and "could",
rather than "I know" and "will"

;)
Well, there's this, for starters.

Kahlil Carter ousted as Alouettes DC due to ‘personality clashes and conflicts’: report

Users Online

114 Guests, 18 Users (16 Spiders, 3 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
RedandWhite, RichardVeilleux, Augustus67, tabbiefan72, bowl450, FootbalYouBet, slowhand, The Last Word, heapbag, Grover, Onemoredork, KevinRiley2, Mightygoose, SeaFiddle, pdson2, Google (AdSense) (6), Google (10)

Most Online Today: 189. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)