blackandgld

Yep...he did wear stuff like that on the sideline. He was Don Cherry of the NFL...It was really hard to take him seriously.
But what the heck...after KA's iron rule of seriousness maybe he's a breath of fresh air.

If you can believe his Ti cat coaches pic he certainly has not aged much visually.
Like Marv Levy and Dick Lebeau.

And Jones is younger than Pete Carroll in Seattle and Belichek in NE.
Yep, old guys can still be successful coaches.  Dick Lebeau, Pete Carroll, and Belichek are all good examples. What worries me about Glanville is that in addition to his age, he hasn't coached in 9 years.  His last job was a terrible stint at a small NCAA school.  Not exactly inspiring.
Exactly. I could care less if Glanville was 76 or more if he is qualified. He was already talking in NFL terms and have a CFL guy relate that to the CFL game. Talked about giving him a cover corner. WELL that is nice but cover HBs are probably more important in our game. I don't mind multiplying the temperature x 2 and add 32 to be close enough but i don't want something that worked in the NFL 20 years ago converted to CFL logic. On another note he also said a large percentage of the time in the NFL a FB runs the ball on 1st down and he was going to treat 1st down in the CFL like 2nd and 7 in the NFL. WHY????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
I don't see the logic in the hire and I think it will set the team back but that is my opinion for what it is worth.

Lennywasout

blackandgold...”I don't see the logic in the hire and I think it will set the team back but that is my opinion for what it is worth.”

This statement rings so true.  In my experience dealing with very intelligent people who were well versed in their particular field became difficult to convey different approaches to solving issues.  They always fell back to “this is what I know and I know it’s the best way”.  Let’s hope we’re both wrong and his interview was just self serving blustering bravado.  I am not a fan of his radio interview.  

ExPat

On another note he also said a large percentage of the time in the NFL a FB runs the ball on 1st down and he was going to treat 1st down in the CFL like 2nd and 7 in the NFL. WHY????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
To be fair, this is not the first time a career NFLer has come up to the CFL as a coach with this mindset.

https://torontoist.com/2009/06/setting_sail_for_another_boatmen_se/

The way I’ve approached it, to make it right in my head, is you start a series off at 2nd-and-10,” Bart Andrus, the former NFL assistant hired in January to coach the Toronto Argonauts, told the National Post. “That’s my thought process.” It might just be a throwaway comment, but it might reveal deeper implications that the fifty-one-year-old California native is approaching the season with assumptions that are fundamentally at odds with the Canadian game. Argos fans have heard it before.

In The Argo Bounce (T.H. Best Printing, 1982), journalist Jay Teitel recalls an interview with the NFL-minted coach who arrived in Toronto in 1979. Asked about the critical difference between the Canadian and American games, Forrest Gregg—a Hall of Fame player who would later coach the Cincinnati Bengals to a Super Bowl berth—replied: “To my way of thinking, with the three downs, you’re just starting at second and ten.” Teitel was apoplectic. How could a CFL coach simply assume the northern game was “the American game penalized,” implying that “you had blundered your way out of a down, or been found unworthy of a down”? The statement denies the way subtle rule changes—three downs, a wider and longer field, and so on — fundamentally alter game strategy and game play.

We'll just have to hope that our guy gets different results than those other guys.

blackandgld

^^^Very VERY nice finds^^^^

CatsFaninOttawa

I was trying to figure out why he said "second and seven" and not "second and ten". The only thing I can think of is that he actually is taking the Canadian game - the wider field, the extra player - into account. The average running play is a yard or two longer in the CFL than in the NFL. So play calling on first and ten here might be similar to second and seven on the NFL.

The thing is, he's going to be running the defence, not the offence. So does this strategy translate to defence? That, I really don't know.

Slomojo2005

blackandgold...”I don't see the logic in the hire and I think it will set the team back but that is my opinion for what it is worth.”

This statement rings so true.  In my experience dealing with very intelligent people who were well versed in their particular field became difficult to convey different approaches to solving issues.  They always fell back to “this is what I know and I know it’s the best way”.  Let’s hope we’re both wrong and his interview was just self serving blustering bravado.  I am not a fan of his radio interview.  
👍🏼 Exactly

Users Online

108 Guests, 12 Users (12 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Hamilton2005, Oskie18, Reggiemac, Mightygoose, of course, Grover, ExPat, ploen_truth, ticat1, Balticfox, hanker66, Google (AdSense) (5), Google (7)

Most Online Today: 152. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)